Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Records that will never be broken

• 10-07-2019 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

What records within the sport do you think will never be broken.

One for me would be Jimmy Greaves topflight scoring record in England, 357 goals.

Alan Shearer is the closest in living memory with 283 and I can only see Harry Kane of present day players getting near it but he'd have to average around 25 goals per season for the next ten years to break the record which almost certainly won't happen.Maybe a Messi or Ronaldo like talent might spend his whole career in Engalnd and have a chance of breaking it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Maybe not so much a record, more so a feat, but Tony Adams is the only player to captain a First Division / Premier League winning side in 3 different decades ('89, '91, '98, '02)

It certainly will never be beaten but I'd also be confident that it won't be matched in my lifetime, the timing in decades needs to be just right and it just seems very unlikely for a player to captain a top English side in their early 20s these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Dixie Dean's 60 goals in a season. I thought at one point Fowler might have a shot at Ted Drake's seven goals in a league game but I'm not so sure anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Dixie Dean's 60 goals in a season. I thought at one point Fowler might have a shot at Ted Drake's seven goals in a league game but I'm not so sure anymore.

Well I can say he definitely won't get it now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Barça’s record amount of Cup Winners Cup wins. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Big sams England managerial recorded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

I don’t think anybody will beat Robbie keanes record for Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Messi's 73 goals in a season in 2011/12

Ali Dia as the worst Premier League player ever.

In this day and age no one will ever get a game with a top flight English club solely on the basis that they said they were related to a famous footballer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Alan Shearer is the closest in living memory with 283 and I can only see Harry Kane of present day players getting near it but he'd have to average around 25 goals per season for the next ten years to break the record which almost certainly won't happen.Maybe a Messi or Ronaldo like talent might spend his whole career in Engalnd and have a chance of breaking it.

Harry Kane has 125 top flight goals. So is 'only' 158 behind Shearer. So not quite 25 a season for the next 10 years.

He's 25 and tends to pick up a few injuries now. So would probably need to average 20 for the next 8 as I can't see him playing and scoring like Ronaldo well into his mid to late 30s.

He has had seasons of 29 and 30 too though.

Edit: Sorry, just realised you mean Greavesy's record not Shearer's. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No team will ever win 5 consecutive European Cups / Champions Leagues like Real Madrid did back in the start of the tournament.

Also think that once Messi and Ronaldo leave the stage, lots of their records will go unbroken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Celtic's record of winning a European cup where every player was born and reared within 60 miles of the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Celtic's record of winning a European cup where every player was born and reared within 60 miles of the ground.

This for sure, but I'd always heard it was 30 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Giggs 13 league titles in England will take some beating. Started his career right at the start of a 20 year dominant period and played til 40

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Unearthly wrote: »
    Giggs 13 league titles in England will take some beating. Started his career right at the start of a 20 year dominant period and played til 40

That'll take some beating.

If Foden can make it City and become successor to Silva (or even just be happy to stick around as a squad option) he could have a small chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Biggest difference over 2 legs in Europe
    Feyenoord's 9-0 and 12-0 against Us Rumelange in september 1972

Unless they go back to every team starting in the same round and play knock outs i dont see that one ever being broken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I doubt the highest attendance for a match will ever be beaten due to health and safety these days

Official attendance in the Maracana between Brazil & Uruguay in the 1950 World Cup Final was 199,854

Attendance for the 2019 Copa América Final between Brazil & Peru was 69,986

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Ali Dia as the worst Premier League player ever.

In this day and age no one will ever get a game with a top flight English club solely on the basis that they said they were related to a famous footballer...

The manager who signed off on that particular bit of business was Graeme Souness - which explains everything!!
    Speaking of him, the Liverpool team of which he was a member holds the record for the least number of goals conceded by a championship winning side - seventeen. That was in season 1979 - 80.

chicorytip wrote: »
    The manager who signed off on that particular bit of business was Graeme Souness - which explains everything!!
    Speaking of him, the Liverpool team of which he was a member holds the record for the least number of goals conceded by a championship winning side - seventeen. That was in season 1979 - 80.

seventeen?
    it was 78-79

I did wiki it to be sure tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

NIMAN wrote: »
    No team will ever win 5 consecutive European Cups / Champions Leagues like Real Madrid did back in the start of the tournament.

That's a weak enough claim, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone do that.

Madrid themselves came close recently by winning 4 out of 5 recently - and they weren't even an other-worldly dominant team.

chicorytip wrote: »

Didn't Chelsea only concede 15 in one of Mourinho's first few seasons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Leicester City ever winning the league again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Zico ! wrote: »
    Leicester City ever winning the league again

That's not a record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

irish_goat wrote: »
    That's not a record.

A team 500/1 at the start of the season to win the league. **

Fixed it for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Gary Linekar's record of never being booked, although it was a different era/rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

brilou23 wrote: »
    Tony McCoy nobody will beat amount winners or consecutive years he was champion jockey.

Never saw him kick a ball though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,265 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Didn't Chelsea only concede 15 in one of Mourinho's first few seasons?

4 less league games then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Australia beating American Samoa 31-0, recorded the largest victory in an international match.

It 'could' be broken but extremely unlikely

4 less league games then

He said a championship winning season.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

A team 500/1 at the start of the season to win the league. **

Fixed it for him.

5000/1...

Fixed that for you.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Peter Shilton played somewhere between 1300-1400 games as a Professional. Rogerio ceni is next at 1230 and then Xavi another 100 behind. I don't see that being broken unless someone like Donnaruma gets 100+ caps and averages over 50 games a year and plays as long as Buffon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Liverpool's record 18 Division 1 titles.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Least amount of goals scored in a game. Record at the moment is 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I don't know how true this is but might be worth saying. But Derry City must be one of the only clubs in football to win League Cups in two separate jurisdictions.

I'm not going to count the breakup of Yugoslavia as that ceased having a national league. Which is different from winning leagues in two separate football association areas that are still active.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I don't know how true this is but might be worth saying. But Derry City must be one of the only clubs in football to win League Cups in two separate jurisdictions.

I'm not going to count the breakup of Yugoslavia as that ceased having a national league. Which is different from winning leagues in two separate football association areas that are still active.

Bohemian FC and Shelbourne have won both the Irish Cup and the FAI Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Bohemian FC and Shelbourne have won both the Irish Cup and the FAI Cup.

Yeah sure but that was my caveat. Bohs won the Irish Cup when the FAI didn't exist. So could only have played in a single jurisdiction at that time.
    Like how when Yugoslavia broke up teams from Croatia had to play in a new league.

Derry won a title, switched leagues and won another title.

The Northern Irish League still exists. And theoretically Derey could switch back from the Republic League again. Although I don't think anyone wants that to happen.

It surely is a fairly unique record in a unique situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

sugarman wrote: »
    Robbie Keanes goal scoring record for Ireland.

Nobody will touch it. 68 goals. The record was 21 before that!

I’d be happy if we could find someone to reach half of that or even move past Niall Quinn in second on 21. Long is the top current scorer and only on 25% of Keane’s tally at 32 years of age.

Huge player for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Long is 4 behind Quinns tally so has a chance although he hasnt scored in nearly 3 years for the national side.

If one of the promising young strikers makes the set up soon at club level they would have a great chance of getting 20+ international goals as they could get games at a young age similar to Keane.

sugarman wrote: »
    Cardiff have won both the FA Cup and Welsh Cup ...and in the same year to boot! 1927.

Swansea have won the Welsh cup, league cup and fa league trophy too

Sure Galway have won the Leinster Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭macraignil

Saw a game a few years back where Gareth Barry got a yellow card and the commentator mentioned he holds the record for the most yellow cards in the Premier league. He is on 125 with the closest player to the record still in the premier league being Mark Noble on 77. I reckon 125 yellow cards for a single player in the Premier league might be one of those records that wont get beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yeah sure but that was my caveat. Bohs won the Irish Cup when the FAI didn't exist. So could only have played in a single jurisdiction at that time.
    Like how when Yugoslavia broke up teams from Croatia had to play in a new league.

Derry won a title, switched leagues and won another title.

The Northern Irish League still exists. And theoretically Derey could switch back from the Republic League again. Although I don't think anyone wants that to happen.

It surely is a fairly unique record in a unique situation.

It's a different Derry City since the end of 2009, so wouldn't be the same club switching back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Oleg Salenko is the only player ever to win the Golden Boot award on a team eliminated from the World Cup finals at the group stage. He holds the record for most goals in a single game at a World Cup with 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Asmir Begovic's 92 meter-long clearance bounced over the head of Artur Boruc after just 13 seconds. Fastest goal by a goalkeeper. Freaky enough circumstances, can't see that being beaten at top flight level.

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Oleg Salenko is the only player ever to win the Golden Boot award on a team eliminated from the World Cup finals at the group stage. He holds the record for most goals in a single game at a World Cup with 5.

I was going to post the french guy who got 14-15 goals in a single WC but then I thought it's been expanded out in a few years and there might be some big scores

Fontaine with 13, save someone else having to look it up

Omackeral wrote: »
    Asmir Begovic's 92 meter-long clearance bounced over the head of Artur Boruc after just 13 seconds. Fastest goal by a goalkeeper. Freaky enough circumstances, can't see that being beaten at top flight level.

Also the goal scored from furthest out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Omackeral wrote: »

Sounds like a long time for a ball to travel from one end of the pitch to the other.

I counted 7 here

I misread that. It's 13 seconds from kick off, not from when he kicked the ball :D

Advertisement