Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-06-2019, 13:39   #16
flasher0030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Bang Wall View Post
15 a side is the way to go, with a rule whereby you have to keep, say 4, inside the opposition 45 is the way to go.

There are too many of the skills of gaelic football being lost (high fetching, long kick passing etc).

Making it a 13 man game will worsen that, where fitness levels will be even more important than they are already.

Dont get me wrong, fitness levels shouldnt be neglected, but it shouldnt be as big of an advantage as it is at present to teams like Dublin
How is a ref supposed to monitor that - looking around the pitch to make sure at all times that there are 4 players from each team inside the opposition's 45 - and then at the same time see what's actually going on where the ball is. It might be possible to have a couple of refs for big games in Croke Park. But you can't have those resources for club games. I don't think that will work at all.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-06-2019, 13:44   #17
Pogue eile

Quote:
Originally Posted by flasher0030 View Post
How is a ref supposed to monitor that - looking around the pitch to make sure at all times that there are 4 players from each team inside the opposition's 45 - and then at the same time see what's actually going on where the ball is. It might be possible to have a couple of refs for big games in Croke Park. But you can't have those resources for club games. I don't think that will work at all.
It would also lead to a comical situation where a defender is coming out with the ball and the forward who is chasing and tackling has to stop at the 45 and let him off!
26-06-2019, 14:11   #18
Crash Bang Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by flasher0030 View Post
At intercounty and club championship games, the neutral linesman can monitor that.....club league games would be more difficult....underage the same.

Id still rather a rule change than a 13 a side running game where fitness matters more than skill levels
Thanks from:
28-06-2019, 01:13   #19
Stoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue eile
Donegal regularly had 15 players in their own half, they were just able to break faster and more effectively than Cavan when they turned over possession. Plenty of team s have had sucess playing it, its why it has stayed with us for nigh on 20 years now. The fact that it doesnt work against Dublin is irrelevant because to be honest nothing works against Dublin!!
I agree with you mostly,
This system did work against Dublin, but it wasn't fixed by fitness as some of the other posters may like to think or have heard about Dublin players.
Dublin players didn't decide to get fitter to beat the system they faced in 2014. They decided not to panic, to pass the ball and wait for a better opportunity.

Cavan did turn over position but for long periods of time they were incredibly slow moving the ball up. Donegals defensive system looked smooth but Cavan helped them by letting them get back. Mayo, Dublin, Kerry would move it faster.

I'd say that Mayo have smashed a few defensive systems recently too, with relentless tackling from their forwards, they only hit this level of intensity in knockout football.

Dublin have found their own way around it, and it doesn't take a lot more energy, it's more discipline, there's often nobody hanging out of the player running around the D as the other team wont engage in that area.

Some think its simply players using their fitness to put themselves into easy scoring positions, yes McCaffrey does that but if people think that's how they do it they are just hanging onto an idea that their players are more skillful etc, it's an old one at this stage coming up on 50 years old, it has some grounds alright but it doesn't get them over the line. Mayo have looked fitter in games and lost.

Defensive football is boring, part of the thinking around it is that players will panic and make poor shot selections.

So don't make them, stuff the defensive team, they can't make those shots either, they counter quickly, try to get an easier shot.

So working the ball around until you get one makes is a way to tackle it the foot pass into space is just not on in defensive football, even the hand pass in is often not on, that's created by the defensive team, all the top teams are defensive.

I agree that reducing the congestion is worth looking at. I don't think the mark is the answer, or making teams play the ball forward that is simply targeting a tactic that's used to counter the defensive system in the first place .

We need more space for better football imo, not more forced errors
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion