Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats

Options
  • 18-07-2019 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I wasn't sure where to put this but I'll try here.
    I have a major problem with cats fouling my garden. At the bottom of the garden are some fir trees and a lot of dry litter gathers there which the cats use as a bathroom.
    Now this is also the place my granchildrem most like to play when they come over so they invariably bring cat**** into the house on their shoes not to mention the hygiene problems of them playing there.
    Is there anything I can do to deter them. I don't want to hurt them just keep them out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I wish you luck and you have my sympathy.

A thread on the problem here : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057994206

You'll get all kinds of nonsense from that cat's only foul cleared ground and not planted areas, to it's in the nature of cats to roam but little in the way of concrete solutions: because there are no humane solutions if the owners won't keep their cats on their own property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Yep my garden is haunted by 3 or 4 local cats and they have it destroyed in crap, on the grass, in the flower beds, even under the trampoline, I’ve tried just about everything and just scream and throw stuff at them but to no avail unfortunately, owners couldn’t give a damn as long as they don’t crap on their own lawn

• Subscribers Posts: 686 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Motion sensing sprinkler? Bit drastic maybe but harmless and they'd probably learn quickly. You could change the position to keep them on their toes, they'd maybe give up thinking its not worth the risk?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/PawHut-Animal-Repeller-Adjustable-Sensor-Water-Spray-Sprinkler-Battery-Scarecrow-/301752759795

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Yep my garden is haunted by 3 or 4 local cats and they have it destroyed in crap, on the grass, in the flower beds, even under the trampoline, I’ve tried just about everything and just scream and throw stuff at them but to no avail unfortunately, owners couldn’t give a damn as long as they don’t crap on their own lawn

Are you sure it’s cats? I have a similar problem, but I think it may be a Fox.

I don't know if you intended to advise such but concrete is the solution.

You've completely lost me there. :confused:

• Advertisement

Aegir wrote: »
    Are you sure it’s cats? I have a similar problem, but I think it may be a Fox.

Easy to be sure when you see the little blighters doing it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

you can buy a pepper for this problem, not sure where though.

decky1 wrote: »

Not great success with it though and impractical when they use anywhere and everywhere in the garden.

Doesn't stop them killing the garden birds either.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Not great success with it though and impractical when they use anywhere and everywhere in the garden.

Doesn't stop them killing the garden birds either.

at the risk of upsetting anyone have you tried the thing that's made of wood and metal and you buy small things that you put in it and then there's a little sort of thing under it and when you pull/squeeze it the small things come out the barrel [oops should'nt have said that]:rolleyes:

decky1 wrote: »
    at the risk of upsetting anyone have you tried the thing that's made of wood and metal and you buy small things that you put in it and then there's a little sort of thing under it and when you pull/squeeze it the small things come out the barrel [oops should'nt have said that]:rolleyes:

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

They did a capture if feral/!wild cats in glanmire a while back (caged / neutered/ released) eventually cat population decreased

decky1 wrote:

Where pls?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cats hate orange peel. Could try throwing some of that around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Weepsie wrote: »

My grandmother tried that. Did feck all to the cats and attracted a heap of slugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Weepsie wrote:

Worth a try

Advertisement