11-05-2019, 17:10   #1
marko830

laethúil nó laethiúil?

Title says it all – my teacher spells it "laethiúil" in her notes, but every dictionary I can find spells it "laethúil". I'm guessing she's wrong and that this is just one of the few examples where caol le caol doesn't apply, like in laethanta?
Advertisement
11-05-2019, 18:59   #2
Insect Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko830 View Post
Title says it all – my teacher spells it "laethiúil" in her notes, but every dictionary I can find spells it "laethúil". I'm guessing she's wrong and that this is just one of the few examples where caol le caol doesn't apply, like in laethanta?
Spot on. The combination of "ae" should be treated as a broad vowel. Spell it your teacher's way for school to save yourself hassle, but spell it properly for exams.
11-05-2019, 19:21   #3
Crusty Jocks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko830 View Post
ligature of 'ae' is treated as a broad vowel. it's not a case of an eisceacht/exception or few examples, there are many, as you correctly point out laethanta, ask her why it is isn't 'laethianta saoire'...I wouldn't do it in front of the class but maybe grab her attention after a class and ask rather than tell. 'laethúil' is very common, students may be misspelling this in exams...worth highlighting it to the teacher.
12-05-2019, 09:22   #4
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Jocks View Post
ligature of 'ae' is treated as a broad vowel. it's not a case of an eisceacht/exception or few examples, there are many, as you correctly point out laethanta, ask her why it is isn't 'laethianta saoire'...I wouldn't do it in front of the class but maybe grab her attention after a class and ask rather than tell. 'laethúil' is very common, students may be misspelling this in exams...worth highlighting it to the teacher.
No, I would ask I front of the class, as if she is wrong then she can clear it up for the benefit of all, not just one student. But ask in a good way, not publicly showing her up in front of the class.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion