Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't feel safe in my job

• 08-08-2020 8:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

I started a new job and I don't feel safe. There's very little distancing between workers and no face masks worn. Face masks worn if you want to. There's very little staff that do wear them.

I have seen people inches away from people's faces with no face mask. My supervisor is telling me that they are following the HSE advice which is all about social distancing. But that's not stopping people from speaking to people inches away from other people's faces.

I don't feel safe in my job. I shouldn't have to put my health at risk in taking up a job. I can't claim jobseeker's because I can't leave my work.

Am I asking too much for a safe working environment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Why don't you get another job that's safer?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Well that's just a great idea. I have just started my job and now I have to send off more CVs and interviews. How long will all this take? You make it sound like I can have a new job by Monday. So until I get a new job, I should continue putting my health at risk? Is that what you're saying?

The company making their employees adhere to the regulations we all have to would be a better option. Not to mention a less flippant unhelpful one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Excellent suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Well that's just a great idea. I have just started my job and now I have to send off more CVs and interviews. How long will all this take? You make it sound like I can have a new job by Monday. So until I get a new job, I should continue putting my health at risk? Is that what you're saying?

Are you in a retail situation. Is the government guidelines that everyone such be wearing masks in the worl situation you find yourself in.

• Advertisement

eggy81 wrote: »
    Are you in a retail situation. Is the government guidelines that everyone such be wearing masks in the worl situation you find yourself in.

Not in retail

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

If it's a meat factory in Laois, it's probably too late.

If it's a meat factory in Laois, it's probably too late.

Not a meat factory. But seriously, I don't want to be part of the next workplace cluster.

No what I'm saying is why don't you get a new job.

I have no idea how long it will take you to send out CV's or do interviews but it seems like the best option if you're not happy in the job you have.

What do you expect to gain by putting up a thread on Boards.ie?

You sound very unhappy and a tad confrontational.

I was only trying to offer you advice that would make you happier.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Not in retail

so then if you yourself are observing the hygiene, social distancing reccomendations and wrung a mask if you wish then all should be fine according to the information we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Protect yourself. Wear a face mask. Wash your hands regularly and if they all get infected feel safe in the knowledge that you are fine because you followed all the correct guidance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

You make it sound easy in a country where there is currently huge unemployment and lots of job losses each day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭Augme

Realistically you've limited options. I would ask your workplace to provide PPI, the one that covers your full face or else get one for yourself.

Then you can suggest to any colleagues that one within 2m of you to kindly move back. That might not be possible or feasible though. It's difficult to police in general. You can go down the road of discussing the situation with your manager/HR but this obviously has its own risks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Because jobs are a plenty in what could be one of the most serious downturns ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Minier81

You could report them to the hsa, but an inspection would not necessarily be immediate and they might behave better at an inspection.
    In the interim, sanitise you hand regularly and do the best your can to protect yourself. Wear a mask and try to keep any windows open,other may follow your example.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    You make it sound easy in a country where there is currently huge unemployment and lots of job losses each day.

Are you trying to imply that the OP has no other option but to continue to risk their health in an unsafe work environment?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Because jobs are a plenty in what could be one of the most serious downturns ever!

This makes no sense Wanderer.

Minier81 wrote: »
    You could report them to the hsa, but an inspection would not necessarily be immediate and they might behave better at an inspection.
    In the interim, sanitise you hand regularly and do the best your can to protect yourself. Wear a mask and try to keep any windows open,other may follow your example.

There hasn't been any suggestions that any current regulation has been broken from what I have read?

This makes no sense Wanderer.

Sorry I can't seem to be able to resolve your issues, maybe another poster can advise

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Are you trying to imply that the OP has no other option but to continue to risk their health in an unsafe work environment?

You have few options.

Wear a mask, wash your hands and observe hygiene.

You are probably young and alow risk.

Covid kills pensioners for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭daheff

If you think your employer is flouting health & safety then report them. A visit from hsa might fix things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,332 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Your obsessed with getting everyone in a mask. Quit the job because you've no business working with people the way your going on here.

Your obsessed with getting everyone in a mask. Quit the job because you've no business working with people the way your going on here.

So you think it's ok for people to be inches away from your face?

Had you a career in drama before this job, what job have you that people are inches away from your face?

Sorry I can't seem to be able to resolve your issues, maybe another poster can advise

I don't need your help with any issues Wanderer, you may be getting mixed up.

It often happens.

Leave the job and go on the dole.

Not a good alternative when we are in the depths of a recession.

Fcuking hell, some people on the Internets really are fcuking arseholes! Are you folks pissed or what?

Pelezico wrote: »
    You have few options.

Wear a mask, wash your hands and observe hygiene.

You are probably young and alow risk.

Covid kills pensioners for the most part.

I think you might be getting mixed up too Pele, I'm not looking for advice on a career change.

There hasn't been any suggestions that any current regulation has been broken from what I have read?

From the first post, it sounds like social distancing is not being enforced, people talking to each other inches from each others faces. This shouldn't be the norm even with masks. Social distancing is more than just measuring how far two desks are from each other it is interaction throughout the day, and closer contact, while difficult to completely avoid, should be passing and momentary.

• Advertisement

I don't need your help with any issues Wanderer, you may be getting mixed up.

You seem to be struggling to understand our current global situation, there maybe some underlining issues going on that you re clearly unaware of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Speak to your covid19 officer.

I think you might be getting mixed up too Pele, I'm not looking for advice on a career change.

I was talking to OP.

Fcuking hell, some people on the Internets really are fcuking arseholes! Are you folks pissed or what?

He's Trolling, 24/7 everyone has to wear a mask. I'm waiting to hear what this close contact job is, right now I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt.

He's Trolling, 24/7 everyone has to wear a mask. I'm waiting to hear what this close contact job is, right now I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt.

No they don't, by any chance are you the troll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Depends on their circumstances.

• Advertisement

Minier81 wrote: »
    From the first post, it sounds like social distancing is not being enforced, people talking to each other inches from each others faces. This shouldn't be the norm even with masks. Social distancing is more than just measuring how far two desks are from each other it is interaction throughout the day, and closer contact, while difficult to completely avoid, should be passing and momentary.
    Yes but aŕe the people talking inches from each others faces because they're idiots or because the job requires them to do it. All an employer can do is install measures to keep workers at least a decent distance apart and instruct hygene and face masks if required in the doing of their jobs. They're not going to have eyes on all employess at every minute of the day to see that they don't have a sneaky chat and get up close while doing it.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what the others do. If op protects themselves they will be fine.

No they don't, by any chance are you the troll?

I'm calling out this bull**** thread, he's not working inches away from anyones face.

I'm calling out this bull**** thread, he's not working inches away from anyones face.

How do you know, and maybe they're slightly exaggerating the distance a bit?

Pelezico wrote: »
    I was talking to OP.

Silly me, I thought because you quoted my post you were referring to me.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Depends on their circumstances.

No Chikichiki it doesn't.

There is always another option.

• Advertisement

I'm not exaggerating, people talk to each other and are getting very close to each other without any masks.

There is always another option.

Like what?

Let's leave that until we hear what the job is, how hard is it to say I work in retail, meat factory etc. Nobody is inches away from anyone elses face at the moment, if he's exaggerating he's bull****ting about the extent of the problem.

I'm not exaggerating, people talk to each other and are getting very close to each other without any masks.

Sounds romantic

Let's leave that until we hear what the job is, how hard is it to say I work in retail, meat factory etc. Nobody is inches away from anyone elses face at the moment, if he's exaggerating he's bull****ting about the extent of the problem.

Again, how do you know this?

Like what?

Stop working in an unsafe workplace.

Stop working in an unsafe workplace.

Then do what?

What are you doing? That matters too.

Then do what?

Be safe.

Yes but aŕe the people talking inches from each others faces because they're idiots or because the job requires them to do it. All an employer can do is install measures to keep workers at least a decent distance apart and instruct hygene and face masks if required in the doing of their jobs. They're not going to have eyes on all employess at every minute of the day to see that they don't have a sneaky chat and get up close while doing it.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what the others do. If op protects themselves they will be fine.

If there job requires it then masks should be mandatory if they are idiots then there is poor safety culture within the organisation. While the employer can't keep tabs on each individual employee, they should take reasonable action to create awareness of the importance of social distancing for their employees on the whole.

Having said that I doubt they are inches from each others, but close enough to make someone feel uncomfortable is too close.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement