Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hanging up wings-advice needed.

• 09-08-2020 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hello there,

I am always impressed with how generous people are with their knowledge on boards so with that, I thought I would post up asking for some advice.
    I was made redundant this week from my job of over 25 years as cabin crew.Unfortunately, the aviation industry has been hit extremely hard by Covid 19. I am very sad but also aware that so many people will be facing or have been already plunged into redundancy by the pandemic. It is a really crappy time for so many of us at the moment...

I have realised that I desperately need to upskill my computer skills so need to retrain and do a course. I am most definitely computer illiterate😔fellow boards members who are clued up about this, what type of courses would you recommend? Would it be Microsoft office stuff like word, excel, PowerPoint etc? Is it worth paying to do one of those expensive ECDL courses? I am based in Dublin. I looked at the Springboard courses and while I think they are very good for somebody who is very technically savvy, unfortunately, that isn’t me😔I have also looked at doing a PLC course as a mature student. However, I need to find out can I keep my jobseekers benefits whilst doing the course or hopefully get a back to education allowance.

I am just trying to pick myself up off the floor here and figure out some options. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice. Please, please be kind, it’s been a really crap week and I know I am going out on a limb posting this😓If you can’t be kind,please don’t comment on my post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Hi defiantdancer,

Sorry to hear that your job was made redundant. My job was also made redundant recently and I am now looking at courses via Springboard also. You should definitely take a look there again as there are many options that could start you off with upskilling--possibly in business or management to tie in with you prior experience which is taken into consideration by the colleges. Many of the course deadlines are coming up so don't miss out and due to Covid all courses for the first semester will be online.

As you mentioned computer courses, most local enterprise boards offer training too. I just checked the Kildare Enterprise Board's site and there are courses there but not sure any that you may want, but it's just an idea of where to look for yourself in your local area. Many community colleges also offer night courses for adults in all sorts of areas including computer skills, which do not cost too much, so have a look at colleges in your town too as these should hopefully be starting in October or so hopefully.

If I think of anything else, I will let you know. Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Best of luck to you. Dont panic, think of this as a new and exiting chapter in your life. There are lots of jobs out there. Keep an eye on Indeed and Jobs.ie. You will have JB for 9 months and if you get a part time job you can retain it for another 6 months. So you have a lot of time to get sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

I find the springboard options are very hard to understand and anything that seemdled remotely good for me ended up being 150 kms away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

If you check the ETB website for your area that could be an option for an ECDL course. Normally they're free once you're unemployed and you keep your social welfare. How it works nowadays though is another matter, but they'll probably have an email address and there's no harm in asking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

While you figure what direction you want to go you can help yourself quite easily get IT literate enough to get you foot in the door. As you have said Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint are the core products you would need in most workplaces. Google and YouTube would be your friend here and there is a wealth of free knowledge out there to get you up to speed. ECDL is very useful but last I checked its getting a little dated in content.

Start building your CV in Word and make 4 or 5 versions that target different types of role that you may apply for. Use google to ask how to do various layouts or formatting and spend hours making it stand out. Also use Word to make a sales elevator pitch about you in a brochure format and also write a white pager in how to build a CV

Use excel to plan your finances, its great practice to setup formula’s. Then use excel to plan your training, next holiday, Christmas presents list etc. Its a powerful tool that can be used for much more than boring spreadsheets.

Use PowerPoint to make a presentation about you and all the qualities that sell yourself to employer. Spent a lot of time to make it professional and use google and YouTube for tips to make it really amazing using the right animation and design. Then create your own PowerPoint template that is uniquely your own.

Start using Outlook to plan your day and sending emails, in office based roles your diary runs your life to a point and its handy for a few other areas like to do lists.

Don’t forget Microsoft teams is the new cool product to collaborating with colleagues. Teams is the full Microsoft suite wrapped in a cloud and web based or download on your PC. Its used for video conferences, voice calls, sharing documents and so much more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Also looked at LinkedIn's Learning section. If you join their premium plan (about €30 per month) you get access to the Learning section where they have really good e-learning / video tutorials and a lot on Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. Definitely something to take a look at, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Start playing around with your computer.

Mess around with Word, Excel.

Just try things, google things.

One of the key aspects of "being good with computers" is googling things, trying them, and not being afraid that you'll "break your computer".

I've been in IT for over 25 years and there's loads of things I don't know. So when I'm using some new software I just try to figure it out and google it when I am stuck.

Don't be afraid of breaking your computer, you really have to make an effort to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

eCollege free are moment you can do online courses in the main office applications. Lots of stuff on YouTube also.

Consider offering to volunteer to get some experience in office work etc.

If you are cabin crew you obviously are good at dealing with people and good manner with people. Not everyone is. So leverage that skill. Consider looking at customer facing roles. Reception in GPs . etc. Sales etc. Often gets you in the door of some places.

Good luck with it.

If you are looking to "learn computers", prepare for a lifetime of poorly paid jobs, Clerks, receptionists, data entry and the like. If you can get such a job at all.

Not sure if you will be getting any redundancy package, but is re-training into another area an option? Go to college for your degree in Nursing, Medical Science, Teaching or something like that. Use this time - and money if you were paid off - to build a more sustainable well paying career for yourself.

I don't think spending time and money to learn how to use MS Word will yield you a good return on investment.

salonfire wrote: »
    Go to college for your degree in Nursing, Medical Science, Teaching or something like that. Use this time - and money if you were paid off - to build a more sustainable well paying career for yourself.

I don't think spending time and money to learn how to use MS Word will yield you a good return on investment.

Hmm, all of those roles require an element of computer literacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Already mentioned by another poster but wanted to second https://www.ecollege.ie

Courses are free at the moment and there are all the relevant Microsoft suite courses there. I have used it before for a more in-depth course and found it very easy to use. It could be good to have something to do and give yourself some routine as losing a job can leave us feeling a little lost and listless. Doing something like that might give you a bit of time to figure out if you do want to go down the route of further education. It's not always feasible for people to spend 2 - 4 years in academia in order to up-skill but you might find yourself drawn to a certain area and want to pursue it.

You are already identifying areas you need to improve on and that's great, but remember to focus on your strengths too, hone in on what areas of work you might be suited to. You can set up alerts for keywords on job websites. From your post you have a decent standard of typing and grammar so don't be too hard on yourself. Many jobs will offer training once you start too. Best of luck OP, not an easy time for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Another thing to take into account OP is that you should play to your strengths also and combine them with what you learn. You're probably going to have top tier communication, people management and social skills. A Business Analyst with those skills is worth their weight in gold. A common scenario in big IT companies is a bunch of engineers who aren't great at communication and a linchpin in the middle who can get people to talk, and only needs the most basic of IT knowledge.

However, even this will require some of the knowledge people have pointed out, in particular Excel, the IT industry seems unable to do anything without Excel. :)

As someone said before, the one key skill you should learn is how to help yourself learn online. It's essentially a single thing to learn, but you will refine it over time. Learning how to look up something on google when you're stuck is what 99% of techies do when they start out.

The main skill is just being confident enough to put something like "How to add two numbers automatically in Excel?" and reading through the first few results to see if your answer is in any of them.

You can use the following to get complex eventually but just googling the exact problem is good enough 99% of the time

RedXIV wrote: »
    A Business Analyst with those skills is worth their weight in gold. A common scenario in big IT companies is a bunch of engineers who aren't great at communication and a linchpin in the middle who can get people to talk, and only needs the most basic of IT knowledge.

+1 to this, when I took on my first 3rd line engineering team my first hire using a technical headcount to fill it was a customer service orientated person from a department store to do that function. Roll on 10 years she is now a director of user experience in a global Bank.

Now we use official roles like Program/project co-ordinators for internal facing positions and of course Business analyst. Getting engineering teams organised is like herding cats so not dissimilar to cabin crew:). Customer oriented roles that are gaining momentum and worth looking into would be titles like Customer Success, user experience (UX), customer advocacy etc

krissovo wrote: »
    Hmm, all of those roles require an element of computer literacy.

The OP is able to post on Boards.

The element of computer literacy is there already.

The average nurse or teacher does not know the first thing about Excel formulas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Hi OP, sorry to hear about your situation, and having been there myself 10 years ago, I know how it feels.

When looking at where to go next there are three options - stay in the same industry, move to a similar role in another industry, out a complete career change. I presume you'll be looking at the latter two so you'll need to be thinking about what skills you have and transferrable skills. Off the top of my head, if be thinking sales and health and safety are at least two. As I'm not in the industry, of course I don't know them all but it's worth investing some time thinking about it.

Once you've identified your transferrable skills, you may need to take some courses to bolster your skills relative to the industry you are interested in. An operative knowledge of Microsoft office is essential for most roles these days, but if you can post on boards, these skills should be no bother to you too learn. They're are lots of YouTube courses on office for free online - an hour every evening for two weeks will give you the knowledge required for 90% of jobs - and speed with office comes with practice.

If you are looking at a new direction, you'll probably need your redundancy to fund this. Going back to college could seem daunting but don't let that put you off. There's loads of info here in other threads where people have done this before. I would say that do consider what graduate salaries are for the given degree you are choosing if you do go this way as for many industries they wouldn't compare favourably with a cabin crew salary of 25 years standing.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Hello there,

I am always impressed with how generous people are with their knowledge on boards so with that, I thought I would post up asking for some advice.
    I was made redundant this week from my job of over 25 years as cabin crew.Unfortunately, the aviation industry has been hit extremely hard by Covid 19. I am very sad but also aware that so many people will be facing or have been already plunged into redundancy by the pandemic. It is a really crappy time for so many of us at the moment...

I have realised that I desperately need to upskill my computer skills so need to retrain and do a course. I am most definitely computer illiterate😔fellow boards members who are clued up about this, what type of courses would you recommend? Would it be Microsoft office stuff like word, excel, PowerPoint etc? Is it worth paying to do one of those expensive ECDL courses? I am based in Dublin. I looked at the Springboard courses and while I think they are very good for somebody who is very technically savvy, unfortunately, that isn’t me😔I have also looked at doing a PLC course as a mature student. However, I need to find out can I keep my jobseekers benefits whilst doing the course or hopefully get a back to education allowance.

I am just trying to pick myself up off the floor here and figure out some options. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice. Please, please be kind, it’s been a really crap week and I know I am going out on a limb posting this😓If you can’t be kind,please don’t comment on my post.

After I was made redundant I did a course with Solas - it was an office administration course and was 48 weeks long - I got a job as a civil servant and moved from CO to EO to HEO within two and a half years - definitely worth looking at and it’s paid for and you get paid for doing it. You also get a level 5 major award out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

salonfire wrote: »
    The OP is able to post on Boards.

The element of computer literacy is there already.

The average nurse or teacher does not know the first thing about Excel formulas.

Being able to post on boards, use social media is not the same as knowing how to use Office applications, either to ECDL or MOUS level.

Its very useful to have training in Office. Most people don't then complain that the applications aren't very good or intuitive, but they have never bothered to learn them. With Office 365 is another part of that puzzle. Personally I think ECDL is a minimum requirement. MOUS is a higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beecarroll

About 14 years ago I worked in a hotel/conference venue and our office manager has transitioned there from cabin crew, and it seemed to me then like an ideal transition. She was used to dealing with guests, staying calm under pressure (great for events work), managing a team, being clear and assertive etc. Sure, once I got reprimanded for having messy hair, but I was a fairly messy 20 year old at the time. While tourism might seem to be taking a hit, it's worth looking into it, event management and office management.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭defiantdancer

Thanks everybody for your replies. I really appreciate it. Some good insights and advice here. BeeCarroll, your post did make me laugh re the messy hair😀

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Tr1ckieD1ckie

It can definitely be done- I was in my 40s when I transitioned into a fairly technical ICT role.

Programming is one area to consider- lots of demand out there for those with coding skills.

If you want a taster to see if it's for you, you'll scarcely find a better coach than Bob Tabor to get you started.

Have a look at this free course https://channel9.msdn.com/Series/CSharp-Fundamentals-for-Absolute-Beginners (registration required but free after that)

• Advertisement
Advertisement