Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance issue

Options
  • 15-06-2021 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know a work around for this? My car is in the garage after a crash 4 weeks ago and the guy in the garage gave me car in lieu but my insurer will only insure me until Friday (their policy only allows me to transfer insurance for 28 days) and it turns out my car won't be ready by then.

Is there some type of insurer out there where I could pay to keep the car a week longer? I was checking out the prices of hire cars and they are crazy. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭bop1977

Go car perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

bop1977 wrote: »
    Go car perhaps?

I'm in Cavan so unfortunately that is not an option

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

gazzer wrote: »
    Does anybody know a work around for this? My car is in the garage after a crash 4 weeks ago and the guy in the garage gave me car in lieu but my insurer will only insure me until Friday (their policy only allows me to transfer insurance for 28 days) and it turns out my car won't be ready by then.

Is there some type of insurer out there where I could pay to keep the car a week longer? I was checking out the prices of hire cars and they are crazy. Thanks

Can you transfer it back to your old car, and then back to the loaner?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

MarkR wrote: »
    Can you transfer it back to your old car, and then back to the loaner?

I don't know. I will check in the morning. I am going to check with my insurance company if they will extend the insurance for a week under the circumstances. No harm in trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Dirty Nails

I don't know. I will check in the morning. I am going to check with my insurance company if they will extend the insurance for a week under the circumstances. No harm in trying.

They mightn't extend a temp transfer,but there's nothing stopping you doing another temp transfer. I think most insurers will allow a few transfers before they charge you to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Speak to them and explain the situation. We had this problem in Jan/Feb when getting an engine replacement under warranty.. the insurer just wanted clarification from the dealer as to why the job was taking so long to get done. They covered a total of 7 weeks temp transfer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mods could you move this to the dedicated insurance forum? Might get a better response.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

Who was at fault for the accident?

If it was not your fault go after the other parties insurance and demand a hire car, thats what I did. Had it for months at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Goose81 wrote: »
    Who was at fault for the accident?

If it was not your fault go after the other parties insurance and demand a hire car, thats what I did. Had it for months at the time.

This will work, I was in an accident a few years back and it was blatantly obvious I was not at fault, I only had third party, fire and theft but I contacted their insurance and got sorted with a hire car for as long as I needed it.

Advertisement