Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accredited Grades

Options
  • 13-06-2021 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I know that this isn't the place to post this and I can delete it if needs to be, but I'm wondering if there's any Leaving Cert teachers on here who have given their students calculated grades this year?

I'm due to sit Irish tomorrow and I've never gotten below a H2 but I'm not prepared for it at all. When calculating accredited grades did you take student's attendance into account? My teacher isn't very fond of me as I missed months of school since we returned in March due to illness but they don't know that and have given out to me multiple times.

Could they give me a H3 due to me missing weeks of school or was the taken into account during the process at all?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I know that this isn't the place to post this and I can delete it if needs to be, but I'm wondering if there's any Leaving Cert teachers on here who have given their students calculated grades this year?

I'm due to sit Irish tomorrow and I've never gotten below a H2 but I'm not prepared for it at all. When calculating accredited grades did you take student's attendance into account? My teacher isn't very fond of me as I missed months of school since we returned in March due to illness but they don't know that and have given out to me multiple times.

Could they give me a H3 due to me missing weeks of school or was the taken into account during the process at all?

Thanks

If you missed a period of school due to illness then your teacher will be aware of that. Your teacher will give you the grade they believe you would achieve in the exam, based on your ability and past performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lolhelpplz565

Ok, thanks so much for your reply. I know I sound paranoid, but my teacher wasn't aware that I was ill, they just presumed that I wasn't going to school and they got quite annoyed about it.

However, I came in for all my assessments and they gave me a H2 in each exam, although my teacher was quite off with me and wouldn't give me my results back until I physically came into school. I'm just worried that they'll think I wasn't bothered about the subject and missed out on learning and will give me a H3

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Ok, thanks so much for your reply. I know I sound paranoid, but my teacher wasn't aware that I was ill, they just presumed that I wasn't going to school and they got quite annoyed about it.

However, I came in for all my assessments and they gave me a H2 in each exam, although my teacher was quite off with me and wouldn't give me my results back until I physically came into school. I'm just worried that they'll think I wasn't bothered about the subject and missed out on learning and will give me a H3

Why didn't your teacher know you were ill if you were off school for months? Surely the school looked for a doctor's note or similar?

Best of luck and I hope you get the grade you're looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

Take into account as well that even if your teacher gave a H2 that could very well be brought down to a H3 through standardisation. I am a teacher. My daughter is doing her Leaving Cert and my advice to her was if you are happy to drop a grade from what you believe your teacher will give then there is no need to sit the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

We also have no idea how your teacher graded you so it's pointless speculating here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

If you need a particular grade, sit the paper. With the accredited grade you are at the mercy of the algorithm and need to take into account the results of the students in your class versus the national average.

It sounds like there’s been a communication issue with your teacher though. Too late to sort that out now, but it shouldn’t have gotten to this stage without some sort of conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jam17032010

If you need a particular grade, sit the paper. With the accredited grade you are at the mercy of the algorithm and need to take into account the results of the students in your class versus the national average.

It sounds like there’s been a communication issue with your teacher though. Too late to sort that out now, but it shouldn’t have gotten to this stage without some sort of conversation.

Tbf to the teacher, they are not allowed to communicate the grade to the student. Also, the perception of a poor relationship may be just that, a perception from one person.

I would do the exam op, you never know. It's a bit late now for me to say on Monday morning, but I hope you prepared as best you could over the weekend.

In general though, on accredited grades, I wonder if study was less intense for many students as it was in other years given the safety net of the accredited grades? I wonder will the overall standard be lower on account of it? We'll never know of course. Poorly answered questions could be equally blamed on remote learning. I just get the sense that a bit of pressure and a healthy amount of fear is a great motivator to study harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

There’s no way of knowing what your teacher’s attitude was, nor whether they actually have a sensible method of grading students or not. It’s unlikely, I would think that they’re unlikely to give you lower than the average for your assessments, just because it has the potential to cause trouble for them, but then, I’ve had to talk colleagues out of awarding students 0 two years in a row now, so I wouldn’t count on them being sensible either.

The long and the short of it remains that you should do the exam. The exam result is a result you know you’ve earned. It’s something you can be proud of. The invented grade is meaningless, a devaluation of your work over the last four years of education, and an insult to everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

Tbf to the teacher, they are not allowed to communicate the grade to the student. Also, the perception of a poor relationship may be just that, a perception from one person.

Just to be clear, I meant communication about the absences and the reason for them, not communication about the grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lolhelpplz565

Thanks for your message. I read it this morning and then decided to do the Irish exam. In the end, it was a really nice paper and I'm glad that I sat it now, so thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement