Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a bike from France

Options
  • 11-06-2021 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Guys I’m trying to buy a bike from France and the guy says he has to pay vat on the bike because he is exporting it to Ireland

Any body come across this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

is he a private or commercial seller?
    if he's private he shouldn't have to pay VAT, ask him for an outline of the reason for VAT to be applied on his end.

Normally it should jusy be you pay the price he asks plus shipping and then go from there then pay our stupid VRT here.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Harry Fox

Thanks for that
    I think it’s a scam

Harry Fox wrote: »
    Thanks for that
    I think it’s a scam

Where is he selling from, Autoscount24?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Not heard of the seller having to pay VAT etc - would have expected that’d be your problem if applicable (age / mileage reasons)

I’d be suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

If the bike is brand new, VAT would have to be paid at his end, would that would apply to everyone.

• Advertisement

BaronVon wrote: »
    If the bike is brand new, VAT would have to be paid at his end, would that would apply to everyone.

That was my thought, why i asked if he was a private or commercial.
    If commercial and selling to an Irish shop they could do it at 0 VAT because EU trading

Advertisement