Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time buyer??

Options
  • 09-06-2021 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have a Question about First time buyers.
    It may seem self explanatory but here goes........

My self and my partner are looking to avail of the help to buy scheme as a first time buyer but the story for myself starts 21 years ago when i was just 18.
    At the time in about 2000 , myself and my then partner bought a house together as first time buyers.
    Long story short , we broke up 6 months after moving in to our new home, my partner at the time decided to buy my half of the house and we went our separete ways.

So what i am wondering is that after 21 year or so ,is there a record of me buying that house at that time somewhere and if so how can revenue and the banks find this out?

Thankd in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Tow

Depends on what a partner means and the type of breakup.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/globalassets/documents/practice-notes/ftb.pdf

Are there any special situations where a person who is not a first-time buyer can avail of first-time buyer relief?

Yes. There are two particular situations where a person is deemed to be a first-time buyer:
    a) The trustees of a trust ...

b) A spouse to a marriage the subject of a decree of judicial separation, a deed of separation, a decree of divorce or a decree of nullity in the case of the first acquisition of a house by the spouse following the separation or divorce provided that the spouse had, in relation to the former marital home,
    • left that home
    • not retained an interest in
    that home whose separated/former spouse continues to occupy that home, which home was occupied by both spouses prior to the separation or dissolution of the marriage.

To answered your question 'is there a record'. Many years ago I had to get a certificate filled in by Revenue to state I was a first time buyer. In those days you went into their offices and they did it in front of you. What they did was lookup if I had claimed Mortgage Interest Relief in the previous 4 or 5 years.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Ironman74 wrote: »
    I have a Question about First time buyers.
    It may seem self explanatory but here goes........

My self and my partner are looking to avail of the help to buy scheme as a first time buyer but the story for myself starts 21 years ago when i was just 18.
    At the time in about 2000 , myself and my then partner bought a house together as first time buyers.
    Long story short , we broke up 6 months after moving in to our new home, my partner at the time decided to buy my half of the house and we went our separete ways.

So what i am wondering is that after 21 year or so ,is there a record of me buying that house at that time somewhere and if so how can revenue and the banks find this out?

Thankd in advance guys.

Presumably there's a record of it in the Registry of Deeds. So if the Bank's lawyers do a search on you it might show up.

Also - and I have no idea about this - Revenue may have put a flag on your tax file showing that you have previously claimed mortgage interest relief (or TRS), if you did.

Note also that the Revenue website clearly states :

"To qualify, you must not have previously bought or built a house or apartment, either on your own or jointly with any other person.

So, if you decide to proceed, you run the risk of being caught and punished.

Advertisement