Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overtaking Etiquette!

Options
  • 01-06-2021 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Just curious..what is the general etiquette for overtaking groups of motorcyclists on the road?

Out for a spin last weekend..laragh via blessington/hollywood. with the weather the way it was and the tyres glued to the road the throttle was opened here and there. safely..i might add.

Came across a few small groups on the winding roads 2's and 3's..some of whom were happy to ride behind a line of cars basically out for a sunday spin..where as i was out for a blast. So i just blew by on the outside where possible..had one or two throw a hand signal giving the go ahead.

just wondering is this hand signal the norm..should you wait for a biker ahead to give you the signal? or are we free to just ride on?

the reason i ask is..one lad just wasn't having it. whenever i took up position to overtake..he would just match my speed to stay ahead. it was a bit weird.

is there a general protocal?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I wouldn't say so.

If you are quicker just overtake as normal. Some bikers are good at using their mirrors and others aren't. Same as cars drivers really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah fairly standard .. some will move others don't want anyone in front no matter how slow or fast they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Ha! Just been thinking about overtaking etiquette after being undertaken by an idiot on a Honda in Blackrock. He seemingly took exception to being slowest from the lights as I filtered through.

But overtaking is overtaking. You don't need anyone's permission other than the rules. I actually think it would be adding risk if we somehow concocted our own protocol, other than being considerate to fellow bikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

So is a 'punishment overtake'(lol) without the hand signal. Do it as you would any vehicle.
    Screenshot-20210503-161850-Samsung-Internet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I'll say one thing tho..if you're enjoying your spin and you come upon a slower bike.he pulls to the left and dangles his right leg to indicate you to pass... acknowledge him with a thank you
    wave ...unless you ride a GS/Multistrada of course where it's not expected........:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Was in Dublin on the last Saturday, and again on Monday night.

On Saturday, on the N4 just before the taking the M50 South from the N4 at J7 got undertaken across 3 lanes with no signals, no Lifesaver, nothing, by a guy on a yellow GS.

On Monday night then, around J13 M50 North again, multiple lanes, from the on ramp right to Lane 3 in one go, no indicators, no Lifesaver, and right between two vehicles.

Frankly, haven't seen such piss-poor riding in years. Maybe it's an Urban thing.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

galwaytt wrote: »

On Saturday, on the N4 just before the taking the M50 South from the N4 at J7 got undertaken across 3 lanes with no signals, no Lifesaver, nothing, by a guy on a yellow GS.

On Monday night then, around J13 M50 North again, multiple lanes, from the on ramp right to Lane 3 in one go, no indicators, no Lifesaver, and right between two vehicles.

Frankly, haven't seen such piss-poor riding in years. Maybe it's an Urban thing.

I think it's an M50 thing. Some special breed of madness afflicts people once they hit that road for some reason. Undertaking, cutting off, and general ignorance seems the order of the day. Your N4 GS friend was probably just limbering up at the whiff of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wilmol

Say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

TBH, if its me.....even if im coming up fast behind solo riders or groups I always slow down but stay in the ATTACK position just to give lads a chance to see you. I have no idea how experienced a fellow rider is so I dont want to spook him by flying past, or have him dart out to overtake without seeing me. Its all about safety.

But in all seriousness, I wait for about a minute or 2 and then progress as normal but I always give a wave just to say its nothing personal and Im just making progress in my day.

I certainly would not be holding back in case they get butt hurt, but just dont be a douche about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

I don't have any specific etiquette, I just overtake in a safe place and give as much room as I can. Same as if I was driving a car .

I don't wave or stick the foot out or anything, more important I'm in full control of the bike at all times rather than making sure I don't offend someone.

The guy matching the original posters speed is very odd though, why would he even bother what a clown. Never had that happen but they would want to be on a rocketship to try it lol

• Advertisement

So if someone pulls to the side to give you more space ,be it a car or bike you feel they shouldn't have been in your way in the first place....takes a millisecond to be courteous......;)

So if someone pulls to the side to give you more space ,be it a car or bike you feel they shouldn't have been in your way in the first place....takes a millisecond to be courteous......;)

That's not what I said, I don't know where you got that ****e from..

If I'm in a car I will throw the hazards on, on a bike I'm not taking my hands off the bar or my foot off the pegs when overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I always think of this as a summer thing, prob fair weather bikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    TBH, if its me.....even if im coming up fast behind solo riders or groups I always slow down but stay in the ATTACK position just to give lads a chance to see you. I have no idea how experienced a fellow rider is so I dont want to spook him by flying past, or have him dart out to overtake without seeing me. Its all about safety.

But in all seriousness, I wait for about a minute or 2 and then progress as normal but I always give a wave just to say its nothing personal and Im just making progress in my day.

I certainly would not be holding back in case they get butt hurt, but just dont be a douche about it.

This would be exactly my approache.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

There's some definite overthinking going on :D

Overtake same as if it was a car. I usually give a little hand up thanks, especially if they moved in at all to make it easier, again same if its a car, truck, tractor or bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭ratracer

There's some definite overthinking going on :D

Overtake same as if it was a car. I usually give a little hand up thanks, especially if they moved in at all to make it easier, again same if its a car, truck, tractor or bike.

Yep!
    A little wave is not that difficult to do! There’s enough pr1cks acting the boll1x on bikes, so I always try to be a bit courteous when passing, whether it be a car, truck, bus, cyclist, pedestrian or whatever.

ratracer wrote: »
    Yep!
    A little wave is not that difficult to do! There’s enough pr1cks acting the boll1x on bikes, so I always try to be a bit courteous when passing, whether it be a car, truck, bus, cyclist, pedestrian or whatever.

You might lose control and smudge yer lipstick..........:D

You might lose control and smudge yer lipstick..........:D

You could blow them some kisses to them aswell mate? Might make you feel better about overtaking them if it's hurts your feelings and you feel the need to wave, stick a foot out and buy them coffee when you see them lol

Blast past them and blow on, worry about yourself both in life and on the road.

If your worrying about people you are overtaking getting upset you are doing it wrong.

Do you wave, stick hazards on and apologize when you overtake a car? Like **** you do

Goose81 wrote: »
    You could blow them some kisses to them aswell mate? Might make you feel better about overtaking them if it's hurts your feelings and you feel the need to wave, stick a foot out and buy them coffee when you see them lol

Blast past them and blow on, worry about yourself both in life and on the road.

If your worrying about people you are overtaking getting upset you are doing it wrong.

Do you wave, stick hazards on and apologize when you overtake a car? Like **** you do

Absolutely..if a driver moves over i'll always acknowledge the fact that they bothered to look in their mirrors and give me more space......so if they do this for you...you're welcome mate...
    Guess you must be a REAL biker so.....have you an MFP sticker on yer bike too......:D

Advertisement