Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take the PEEHS out of Dublin [Closing: 3rd June 10am; reveal 8pm]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I'm all togged out and ready for the game. :)

brogangoal.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I'm all togged out and ready for the game. :)

brogangoal.gif

Good thing I'm not playing given I'm from Mayo :p

I'm a culchie but have been living in the Big Shmoke for over 6 and a half years now, time to see if I've gained honourary Dub status? (Whether I want it or not is a different matter!)

There are three of those pubs I've never been to, one is just a bit too far out of the way and the other two are always too busy to bother venturing inside anytime I was in the vicinity. I've only been to four of the restaurants, though think I might have had food from a fifth one as a takeaway if I'm thinking of the right place.

I've never had boxty, and my first time tasting Guinness and coddle (not together, separate occasions) were both when I lived in England! :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm a culchie but have been living in the Big Shmoke for over 6 and a half years now, time to see if I've gained honourary Dub status?

Pffft, blow-in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

[QUOTE=Deleted User;117166837]I'm a culchie but have been living in the Big Shmoke for over 6 and a half years now, time to see if I've gained honourary Dub status? (Whether I want it or not is a different matter!)

There are three of those pubs I've never been to, one is just a bit too far out of the way and the other two are always too busy to bother venturing inside anytime I was in the vicinity. I've only been to four of the restaurants, though think I might have had food from a fifth one as a takeaway if I'm thinking of the right place.

I've never had boxty, and my first time tasting Guinness and coddle (not together, separate occasions) were both when I lived in England! :pac:[/QUOTE]

You can have mine if you like!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

So you're all either Dubs who moved out, or culchies who moved in. Am I the only Dub living in Dub around these parts?

quickbeam wrote: »
    So you're all either Dubs who moved out, or culchies who moved in. Am I the only Dub living in Dub around these parts?

Based on my inbox I think some are also culchies who will never move in ;)

Here's yer sister!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I thought this first line from an article on a public order case in Donegal this week would be apt for this thread.

“ A drunk man who called a Garda a "fat Mayo c***" was told he truly insulted the officer as he was from Dublin.”

Full article linked

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/donegal-mans-attitude-to-mayo-gardai-gets-him-a-suspended-jail-sentence-1126612.html?_gl=1*x90w06*_ga*bHZyRVRpR2xtN3VUUl9IclpPLWd3NU41M1Y3Z0NjUndjUGdzeGY0cmVraVVBel9Yd0NZYUNEUjZleE1TRzlueA..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Here's yer sister!

Three of us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Collie D wrote: »
    Three of us

Make that four

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Zaph wrote: »
    Make that four
    Too many already, unfair advantage, the county should be split!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,841 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

In .

Have not one iota so this will be fun I'm sure :pac:

Too many already, unfair advantage, the county should be split!

The last question should do that nicely ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

After my extensive research yesterday, I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Nah. I'm from and still live in Dublin. Although I would never refer to myself as a "Dub" nor anyone outside of it as a "Culchie" - not a fan of County Tribalism (likely because I don't care for GAA), and the people who get very precious about their County as if we're not all a stones throw away from one another I find particularly tedious... They're usually the people who've never crossed county lines their entire lives, let alone ventured abroad, tend to be obsessed with their "Parish", and have a very small minded view of the world (and that goes for people inside and outside The Pale). Although our so-called government have always worked hard to nourish the divide between counties as well as the divide between social classes, as it suits their continued agenda to have everyone turning against and looking down on each other, so we're never a threat to rise up against them, sitting there in their McMansions laughing at all the plebs struggling to survive in a rigged system but too focused on arbitrary County lines and feuding over footballs and sliotars to see the bigger picture. Wake Up Sheeple!

We live on a small island, I'm happy to just be Irish, no matter what corner of it I was born and raised in.

As always, thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Nah. I'm from and still live in Dublin. Although I would never refer to myself as a "Dub" nor anyone outside of it as a "Culchie" - not a fan of County Tribalism (likely because I don't care for GAA), and the people who get very precious about their County as if we're not all a stones throw away from one another I find particularly tedious... They're usually the people who've never crossed county lines their entire lives, let alone ventured abroad, tend to be obsessed with their "Parish", and have a very small minded view of the world (and that goes for people inside and outside The Pale). Although our so-called government have always worked hard to nourish the divide between counties as well as the divide between social classes, as it suits their continued agenda to have everyone turning against and looking down on each other, so we're never a threat to rise up against them, sitting there in their McMansions laughing at all the plebs struggling to survive in a rigged system but too focused on arbitrary County lines and feuding over footballs and sliotars to see the bigger picture. Wake Up Sheeple!

We live on a small island, I'm happy to just be Irish, no matter what corner of it I was born and raised in.

As always, thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Well, that's us told!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Well, that's us told!!
    Typical Dub :D

I've never seen a GAA match in my life.

• Advertisement

6. Staple food in your diet...
    Boxty, Coddle, Colcannon, Guinness (as good as a meal), Pretentious Doughnuts and a Soy Flat White, Spice Bag

Er, are the dubs robbing our food now???
    Claiming boxty, cheeky!

Like Dublin actually invented the Soy Flat White too! :)

I've never seen a GAA match in my life.

You're lucky. I was actually forced to play it when I was a child, still have the nightmares, and I chalk it down to the sole reason I have an aversion to anything that involves working as part of a team.

bubblypop wrote: »
    6. Staple food in your diet...
    Boxty, Coddle, Colcannon, Guinness (as good as a meal), Pretentious Doughnuts and a Soy Flat White, Spice Bag

Er, are the dubs robbing our food now???
    Claiming boxty, cheeky!

I have no idea what Boxty is... or Coddle...

Had a Spice Bag explained to me a year or so back, sounds awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I went to camogie trials in school when I was a kid and as far as I can remember, the other weedy girl and I did not even get a chance to try out. That's how unsuited I am to anything GAA-related.

Boxty is made from raw potato, looks kind of like potato cake, but It Is Not potato cake.
    You fry it and drown it in butter, yum yum.....

From Leitrim, Cavan and Fermanagh originally.

I hope I'm not inciting the divide too much, even if only in jest ;) I agree the gap only gets wider :( My County patriotism and GAA knowledge is about as strong as LeVar's real level of Brucie intolerance... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't know what Boxty is either, Coddle is sausage stew to me

I went to camogie trials in school when I was a kid and as far as I can remember, the other weedy girl and I did not even get a chance to try out. That's how unsuited I am to anything GAA-related.

I might have an U12s county medal for GAA for Galway... In my defence I joined in because it was the only hobby in a small rural town and all my friends did it... I hated it and was useless, couldn't solo, and was in as a panel member who wasn't officially a sub on the day, so the records probably don't have me down, but they gave me a medal... :pac:

• Advertisement

bubblypop wrote: »
    Boxty is made from raw potato, looks kind of like potato cake, but It Is Not potato cake.
    You fry it and drown it in butter, yum yum.....

From Leitrim, Cavan and Fermanagh originally.

Well I've been schooled ;)

Should have gone for 6 destinations for xmas lights and 3 foods :pac:

Advertisement