Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size hooks for brown trout?

Options
  • 01-05-2021 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi there, currently looking at fishingtackle.ie or duohook.ie and just wondering what hooks I should order for trout?

I'm just a beginner and I've had a few nibbles but nothing biting. I'm thinking my hook is too big. Any advice you can offer would be great. Also any advice on a good spinner to use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Hi there, currently looking at fishingtackle.ie or duohook.ie and just wondering what hooks I should order for trout?

I'm just a beginner and I've had a few nibbles but nothing biting. I'm thinking my hook is too big. Any advice you can offer would be great. Also any advice on a good spinner to use?

Mepps Agila spinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭The Darkroom

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Mepps Agila spinner.

Any advice as to what website I'd get that from that I'd be posted it quickly? Ireland & UK instead of America?

Any advice as to what website I'd get that from that I'd be posted it quickly? Ireland & UK instead of America?

Any fishing shop I’d say. I bought a few on eBay recently.

Any fishing shop I’d say. I bought a few on eBay recently.

Can't seem to find any of the fishing tackle shops online in Ireland. Might try e-bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

This is the first link I found dark.

If I was you I'd leave the worms back home and go light tackle lure fishing . Very easy to use and I have had hundreds of trout local on these babies!

https://fishingtackleireland.ie/collections/vendors?q=mepps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭dazza161989

#1 or #2 mepps spinner in black when the water is clear and in gold/silver/copper when more coloured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

When I started out I began by fishing worms on a tiny stream. It was very tricky so don't get discouraged if your not catching.
    I started out using size 8s but the smaller the hooks were that I used, the more bites I got but I would also miss bites too, I would use the biggest I thought I could get away with but they were all between size 10 and 16.
    I'd say start your day worm fishing but bring some spinners too and try that for a bit too and see which you prefer

Any advice for the best way set up the spinner on the line? Should I use weights? Did that today and lost a spinner haha.

davycc wrote: »
    This is the first link I found dark.

If I was you I'd leave the worms back home and go light tackle lure fishing . Very easy to use and I have had hundreds of trout local on these babies!

https://fishingtackleireland.ie/collections/vendors?q=mepps

Which ones on the link do you think are the most successful for you?

I'd take these in classic copper blades and silver colours size 1 or 0 for me.

Fantastic for the money and good for finding the trout...

https://fishingtackleireland.ie/products/mepps-aglia-copper?variant=34989216711

• Advertisement

Any advice for the best way set up the spinner on the line? Should I use weights? Did that today and lost a spinner haha.

I would just use a swivel to stop twist roughly 2ft from the lure and no lead either it can make them run off off

davycc wrote: »
    I would just use a swivel to stop twist roughly 2ft from the lure and no lead either it can make them run off off

When it comes to fishing, I'm not the brightest spark. I'm guessing you mean to tie the swivel to the main line as usual and then the lure to the swivel? Do you use snap swivels? Today I but a snap swivel to the line and then took the spinner and snapped it on. Not sure if that's the right way to do things though. :pac::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

When it comes to fishing, I'm not the brightest spark. I'm guessing you mean to tie the swivel to the main line as usual and then the lure to the swivel? Do you use snap swivels? Today I but a snap swivel to the line and then took the spinner and snapped it on. Not sure if that's the right way to do things though. :pac::confused:

This is the easiest way I know to explain it.

Tie the swivel to the line on your rod then cut the line 1-2 foot above the swivel.

Tie the spinner to the other end of the same piece of line.

Now tie the line of the rod to the other side of the swivel and then the spinner is at the end of the line, the swivel is 1-2 feet above it and your good to go.

Take a few casts then cut the whole lot off and put the spinner and swivel away until you are fishing on a cloudy day.

Tie a number 6 hook on the end of the line, put a worm on the hook head first and slide it up past the eye of the hook. Add a bb weight 12-18 inches above the hook/worm.

Stay out of sight and cast the worm upstream and slowly reel it back to yourself making sure the worm is bouncing along the bottom of the river bed as naturally looking as possible. Add or remove weight to achieve this which will depend on water flow.

Cover every square foot of the river bed in front of you and then move a few yards upstream and repeat until you have caught enough trout.

Remember the trout are always facing upstream, they have amazing peripheral vision, they are always on the lookout for food flowing downstream to them and always wary of predators.

When you feel the first nibble on the worm, wait. The trout will then move upstream to make the current of the water assist in swallowing the worm, you'll know this is happening when you see your line moving away from you, that's when you strike.

Strike hard and fast when you do decide to strike because the milli-second the trout cops the worm is attached to something it will drop it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Has anyone used those Gulp garlic pellets for trout?

I got some Gulp worms. I have not used them yet because it says on the back "risk of cancer" in those literal words. My wife freaked it because she had cancer and so understandable I've been banned from using them until I understand exactly what they mean by that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Received some of the best customer service from Rorys I'd happily recommend.

https://www.rorys.ie/index.php?route=product/search&search=mepps

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Received some of the best customer service from Rorys I'd happily recommend.

https://www.rorys.ie/index.php?route=product/search&search=mepps

At 6.50 the shipping costs more than the spinner. It's a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

At 6.50 the shipping costs more than the spinner. It's a shame.

You'll just have to buy more gear to offset the shipping :D

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    You'll just have to buy more gear to offset the shipping :D

Yeah was thinking the same that it only makes sense to buy in bulk.

Does anyone use a float with a spinner, a couple of feet away from the hook, to keep it up over weeds?

• Advertisement

Does anyone use a float with a spinner, a couple of feet away from the hook, to keep it up over weeds?

Was watching a few tutorials on spinner fishing on YT and never saw anyone use a float. Have to say though I've lost more spinners without the float than with it.

This is the easiest way I know to explain it.

Tie the swivel to the line on your rod then cut the line 1-2 foot above the swivel.

Tie the spinner to the other end of the same piece of line.

Now tie the line of the rod to the other side of the swivel and then the spinner is at the end of the line, the swivel is 1-2 feet above it and your good to go.

Take a few casts then cut the whole lot off and put the spinner and swivel away until you are fishing on a cloudy day.

Tie a number 6 hook on the end of the line, put a worm on the hook head first and slide it up past the eye of the hook. Add a bb weight 12-18 inches above the hook/worm.

Stay out of sight and cast the worm upstream and slowly reel it back to yourself making sure the worm is bouncing along the bottom of the river bed as naturally looking as possible. Add or remove weight to achieve this which will depend on water flow.

Cover every square foot of the river bed in front of you and then move a few yards upstream and repeat until you have caught enough trout.

Remember the trout are always facing upstream, they have amazing peripheral vision, they are always on the lookout for food flowing downstream to them and always wary of predators.

When you feel the first nibble on the worm, wait. The trout will then move upstream to make the current of the water assist in swallowing the worm, you'll know this is happening when you see your line moving away from you, that's when you strike.

Strike hard and fast when you do decide to strike because the milli-second the trout cops the worm is attached to something it will drop it.

Why is fishing on a cloudy day with a spinner a good idea?

I must remember the hook bit with the worm. I was just placing the worm on the hook wrapping it over itself a few times to try and disguise the hook. I put the weights above the swivel below the float but that was about it. Never put a weight above the hook before so I'll give that a go.

Thanks again for the tips

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Are Tasmanian Devil lures still on the go? Used them ages ago and they were great, be careful when tying it on. You have to stand with your back to the water in case the fish jump out and take it out of your hand. Seriously though, great lure.

Are Tasmanian Devil lures still on the go? Used them ages ago and they were great, be careful when tying it on. You have to stand with your back to the water in case the fish jump out and take it out of your hand. Seriously though, great lure.

Are these the ones you're talking about? https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=tasmanian+devil+lures&hvadid=80058224676719&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&tag=mh0a9-21&ref=pd_sl_44ocbg8dqb_e

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I think because of their design they work a lot better in deeper water, the mepps always has the same movement once you get it working right but the Taz needs a long cast in a deep pool or even a lake to make it work properly.

When you're reeling it in at a steady pace because of the way it's designed it will often take a mad turn left or right or up or down and this is what I think makes it so lethal to any fish in the area, they instinctively thinks it's a small fish that has spotted it and is trying to swim away in panic.

I think the flying C's came shortly after the Taz and then the shrimp and prawn started to be used, they all became the must have lures and baits that fish couldn't resist. I remember the flying C's and shrimp being banned off rivers they were so successful but that was all to do with fellas getting lucky with the water levels and general conditions on the day.

If I had no food and was given a choice of what bait to use for a solid month to feed my family it would be worms without a shadow of a doubt. You can catch fish with them in all conditions once you can read the river and know where to cast them.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

That’s them. As said above they have a great action in the water.
    Flying C mania hit around early 90’s from what I remember. They were the only lure used, sometimes I wonder if the hype leads to a self fulfilling prophecy.
    I once had a shortish copper mepps which I modified with a rubber from a flying c. I caught a few fish on it, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭tugii20

what size or mm of the fishing hook is for brown or rainbow trout by Irish law?

Advertisement