Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lackavrea hill

Options
  • 04-03-2021 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,497 ✭✭✭

I know still in lockdown etc but last summer passed by Lackavrea hill in Connemara and it looked class.

Anyone here ever done it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,497 ✭✭✭obi604

tphase wrote: »
    yes, many times. quite wet at the start, about 50 minutes to ascend
    see link previously posted in this thread

Thanks, I find that website very clunky :)

Do you reckon it would be ok for a 7 year old, who has done diamond hill, moylussa, etc

If one has no notion of the area, is it hard to figure out what path to take or where to even start?

obi604 wrote: »

Do you reckon it would be ok for a 7 year old, who has done diamond hill, moylussa, etc

If one has no notion of the area, is it hard to figure out what path to take or where to even start?

Bump

Attempted Lackavrea hill today but did not get very far.

See photos

https://ibb.co/yFdRMgT
    https://ibb.co/tYytKVz

Parked on the Ma’am cross side of the lake beside the mountain and started off, tried to follow the route in the attached and go by the corner edge of lake etc but no luck. Attempted to follow this route but had to go across really boggy land and if not careful could end up knee deep or worse so abandoned that, problem is a load of growth in the ground hiding drains and really spongy ground, did not feel fully safe with the 7 year old (even though with his weight, he would not sink as much as me :))

Then followed the plastic/wooden path and went over a little bridge, small bit of a gap to the left of that and followed a river for a bit but again too boggy, then tried up through the forest to see if there was any path this way but no.

Spent some time looking at the hill to see if there was any obvious path up but just seems there is not. Looks steep in parts.

Frustrating, did not even get to the start of the climb after about 90 minutes of trying.

Maybe I didn’t even start it from the right spot, not sure. It’s just hard to rock up to these hills sometimes and try and figure out where to go safely, even after looking at maps etc.

Attempted Lackavrea hill today but did not get very far.

See photos

https://ibb.co/yFdRMgT
    https://ibb.co/tYytKVz

Parked on the Ma’am cross side of the lake beside the mountain and started off, tried to follow the route in the attached and go by the corner edge of lake etc but no luck. Attempted to follow this route but had to go across really boggy land and if not careful could end up knee deep or worse so abandoned that, problem is a load of growth in the ground hiding drains and really spongy ground, did not feel fully safe with the 7 year old (even though with his weight, he would not sink as much as me :))

Then followed the plastic/wooden path and went over a little bridge, small bit of a gap to the left of that and followed a river for a bit but again too boggy, then tried up through the forest to see if there was any path this way but no.

Spent some time looking at the hill to see if there was any obvious path up but just seems there is not. Looks steep in parts.

Frustrating, did not even get to the start of the climb after about 90 minutes of trying.

Maybe I didn’t even start it from the right spot, not sure. It’s just hard to rock up to these hills sometimes and try and figure out where to go safely, even after looking at maps etc.

Any comments on this?

as In did I attempt the wrong route etc

• Registered Users Posts: 45,835 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Any comments on this?

Whats with all the silly bumping?

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Whats with all the silly bumping?

Why is it ‘silly’?

I’m just trying to see if anyone can help me with the correct route!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Any comments on this?

Hi OP. I hiked Lackavrea for the first time last Sunday. I started at the same location as you. When I crossed the bridge, I continued into the forest, walking on the wooden planks for just under a kilometre until there was a gap between the trees on the left. I then headed north-west pretty much all the way up to the summit.

The route I took was pretty much the same as this - https://mountainviews.ie/track/3191/ - except after descending I stayed on the eastern side of the lake and ended up back at the bridge.

I really don't think it's doable for a young child. Once you start ascending there is little to no shelter and you are exposed to all the elements. And there are plenty of boggy areas too that can be dangerous.

Hey thanks for reply.
    Yeah, I did this walk over the bridge and into the forest, but could not find the break in the woods at all, not sure if it was a really obvious break or just a small path between the trees etc or maybe I just didn't walk far enough.
    But prior to this spent about an hour trying to follow the trek as outlined with the red in attached. (i.e. not go in to forest at all but stay by lake) and gave up, way too soft/boggy.

the route you did looks nice, up one way down another.

To be honest some of the ground is really soft, especially by the lake, there are places you could end up in danger if not really careful, thats why I gave up the hugging the lake scenario, just did not feel safe

And actually last weekend, I went back again and got to the top this time, followed the same rough route up and down as shown by black in the attached, boggy in places but not as dodge as over by the lake. you just have to be really careful and test the ground first in places

Was lovely at the top, especially the bit where you go towards the lake i.e away from the white cairns stones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I did this with our 8 year old a year or 2 ago. We started from further towards Maam - there's a place at the side of the road to park and a gate across the road. Was handy enough going up that way. Super views from the top.

hi.

has anyone ever done the one across the road from Lackavrea - Corcogemore or Corcóg

If so, is the attached the most straight forward route?

• Advertisement

any comments on this one?

not sure if I should start where I marked………or go more north towards the number 5

bump 🤢

I hiked this back in 2020 a couple of times, I see one comment online that says its private property now.

any truth in this?

https://www.alltrails.com/en-gb/trail/ireland/county-galway/lackavrea-mountain-via-western-way

Advertisement