Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature entry Medicine.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 conordarcy123

Alanna MH wrote: »
    Good to know Ciara. Any idea what kind of questions TCD might ask? Well done on the RCSI one it sounds like you did well- I got no such compliments on my application and felt I did most of the talking which is possibly not a great sign!

I feel the exact same Alanna, I felt like I talked the ears off them!!! Let's hope they get back to us soon. Will they call or email us? I have heard different answers from so many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

I feel the exact same Alanna, I felt like I talked the ears off them!!! Let's hope they get back to us soon. Will they call or email us? I have heard different answers from so many people.

Similar here, felt like I kept talking away. I had it framed as more of an interview than informal chat and if it wasn't for me referencing my application I'm not sure they would've! Fingers crossed for us all anyway.

I think it is by email, hopefully on Monday too. (Digging back on here it seems they did do phonecalls years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 34 PhoenixD15

Is anyone else preparing for interviews with TCD? I am less familiar with their course than that of RCSI and am a bit worried about additional pressure they seem to generate with more hefty exams, onus on students to find 8 weeks of summer electives before being admitted into final year etc... this plus their communication style to date has me a bit concerned.

Has anyone heard back from RCSI yet?

Not yet! When someone does hear anything can they throw it up here? So the rest of us can have an idea of what the story is.
    Fingers crossed we hear tomorrow - the anxiety is real hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Ciara_pass124

Offers for RCSI have been released via email. Best of luck everyone.

I haven't heard anything from them - it looks like this year hasn't been my year. Good luck to everyone else!!!

Offers out now. Delighted to have been offered a place. Feels like such a relief going into the GAMSAT weekend!

I haven't heard anything from them - it looks like this year hasn't been my year. Good luck to everyone else!!!

Hold fire- flat refusals are also out (I got one) so you maybe offered a place on the waiting list?

Hopefully the rest of you fared a bit better than me! Not feeling confident now for my tcd one...

PhoenixD15 wrote: »
    Hold fire- flat refusals are also out (I got one) so you maybe offered a place on the waiting list?

Hopefully the rest of you fared a bit better than me! Not feeling confident now for my tcd one...

I received a flat refusal too - it looks like there were only 14 places available this year. Preparation starts now for next year.

• Advertisement

Offers out now. Delighted to have been offered a place. Feels like such a relief going into the GAMSAT weekend!

Great stuff, congratulations and good luck with GAMSAT

Offers for RCSI have been released via email. Best of luck everyone.

Congratulations!

I wouldn’t feel too defeated, I didn’t even get an interview for TCD and I felt my application was stronger with them. Put far more effort into that statement.

Both colleges have different traits they look for. Getting an interview for TCD is a huge achievement; so keep the faith.

I received a flat refusal too - it looks like there were only 14 places available this year. Preparation starts now for next year.

You still received an interview for RCSI against all the competition, so don’t be too deflated. You’re clearly a very strong applicant. If you need any advice or help with applications next year, just send me a message. I’m glad to help anyone. I’ll have some insights into the college too by then.

Best of luck to those interviewing with TCD tomorrow. You’ll be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CopperTone1

Hey everyone. Just came across this thread, though I wish a bit earlier to help with the stress caused by the application process.

I had my interview with TCD last week, and UCC.
    Was accepted into RCSI and NUIG but rejected NUI already.

At the moment I’ve RCSI at the top of my list, but undecided between them and TCD. Does anyone from both college have any pros and cons about their Medical school. It’s such a hard decision to make.

Hey everyone. Just came across this thread, though I wish a bit earlier to help with the stress caused by the application process.

I had my interview with TCD last week, and UCC.
    Was accepted into RCSI and NUIG but rejected NUI already.

At the moment I’ve RCSI at the top of my list, but undecided between them and TCD. Does anyone from both college have any pros and cons about their Medical school. It’s such a hard decision to make.

Hey, congrats on the RCSI offer and getting interviews for TCD & NUIG. I've been accepted into the RCSI 5 year programme and have been digging around to see what it entails.

I've found this student to student guide which gives a rough (albeit slightly outdated) rundown of year 1 medicine in RCSI - https://fliphtml5.com/veau/wvds/basic

RCSI also just release a video today for incoming students which gives a brief guide to how they will operate in the midst of things at the moment. Essentially, the college will run 7 days a week, 9am-9pm with students on campus for about 3 days. Most large lectures will be online with 20% of the class in attendance. I'm sure more information will be released in the coming weeks.  

At the moment, I'm trying to decide if I should move home and commute down (from Louth so about 1hr 1hr30 each way). I had initially planned on continuing to live in Dublin but with rent prices, I'm not sure if it's sustainable, however, on the flip side, I wouldn't walk to loose roughly 3hours a day commuting when I could be studying. 

On whole, RCSI seems as though they really will provide you with lots of support to help you achieve your full potential during the degree despite the considerable fee difference between RCSI & others. It looks as though TCD provides less of this at present anyway https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058081581

I'd love to know what the junior years in RCSI looks like from a recent student perspective though!

ChromosomeT, thank you so much. This is literally what I’ve been looking for. You’re so good.

I’ve heard so many negatives about TCD recently, kinda shocked with the accreditation issue too.

Think I’m leaning more towards RCSI this week. Need to make my €1,000 deposit by Friday.

ChromosomeT, thank you so much. This is literally what I’ve been looking for. You’re so good.

I’ve heard so many negatives about TCD recently, kinda shocked with the accreditation issue too.

Think I’m leaning more towards RCSI this week. Need to make my €1,000 deposit by Friday.

No problem at all! It's a tough decision to jump into making, especially when the deposit is so much too. Hopefully see you in a few months time!

Perhaps Trinity will respond well to the criticism levied at its support for students. The interview questions certainly suggested that they are looking for mature students who might be supportive to the undergrads. It will be interesting to see what changes are made but I would be hopeful that there will be some improvements. Fair play to RCSI winning an award for student support though! Anyone know how it works for people applying to GEM and Mature? If the GEM place is higher on the CAO do they have to wait until August to know if they are turning down the mature place? Does this create a second round of mature places in the run up to September?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Tynanma

Trinity offers are out . Best of luck to everyone

Tynanma wrote: »
    Trinity offers are out . Best of luck to everyone

Congrats to everyone who were offered places or waitlisted.

Hi everyone. Just want to let you know that I declined TCD and NUIG and will be taking RCSI. Hopefully that will help anyone on a waitlist

That's great Coppertone- thank you so much for letting us know- I was no. 2 on the list so presumably will get an offer if one other person decides not to enroll with TCD- nailbiting stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CoolCoolCool

Hi everyone. Just want to let you know that I declined TCD and NUIG and will be taking RCSI. Hopefully that will help anyone on a waitlist
    Hi, congrats on your offer. Just wondering if you are declining a possible upcoming offer from NUIG or if you’ve already been offered a place? The interview was the other day so getting nervous if you’ve already heard and I haven’t!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KM95

has anyone heard from NUIG yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 KM95

That's great Coppertone- thank you so much for letting us know- I was no. 2 on the list so presumably will get an offer if one other person decides not to enroll with TCD- nailbiting stuff!
    Hey! I'm on the waiting list for TCD too! just wondering how you found out your place on the waiting list?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tynanma

Hey guys , just to let anyone on the RCSI waiting list know , I’m declining RCSI and accepting trinity so hopefully this is helpful

@KM95 I just enquired by email and they were very quick in getting back to me...

• Advertisement

I know of another person (not on boards) who is also declining RCSI (in favour of preparing for GAMSAT instead). So that's 2 slots for people on the RCSI waitlist ...

Advertisement