Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MF 3080 tractor

Options
  • 03-05-2010 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

Ok need some advice on a 1993 massey 3080 tractor in very good order, approx 7000hrs. 40K 18G/Box price at €8500..
    My brother is thinking of buying one of these but I heard they give a lot of trouble, I think with gearboxes but any advice on this really appreciated…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

as far as I know they came with either a 16 speed gear box or a 32 speed, the 32 speed gave serious trouble but the 16 speed didn't.

Have driven a few of these, and I liked them, quite good for pulling, good few controls are eletcronic so make sure they are all working, as these tractors are pushing on in years at this stage, linkage controls mainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭kincaid

yes your right its the 16 speed autotronic this so does not give any trouble then...

Well I haven't heard any horror stories about them anyway, the 32 speeds were a disaster.

There were Autotronic and Datatronic models, the autotronic is simpler as regards electonics, but for normal use it wouldn't matter whether any of the fancy stuff worked or not,

Don't know much else about them really as regards buying one...., check front axle out carfully, (I presume its 4wd), heard of a good few problems with bearings gone and chipped gears and that, I know its one of the first things a breaker will check out if buying one for parts, same with smaller models and the 699 698 etc...

this has dynashift he says ...

whats these worth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 scaniaman

The 3080 with dyna box would be one of the last before the 3085 was introduced thats a great gearbox still fitted to the new masseys today.
    I have had a few 3000 series masseys never had any major bother with them even the 32 speed version they do have their quirkes but i would have no bother buying one. The front axle can have problems the brakes can give trouble too as in wearing with a lot of trailer work(much like any modern tractor). The cabs rusted on some earlier ones But i think they are a far better tractor than the over priced 300s.They very easy to work on too.
    Make sure the handbrake works it works with discs on the main shaft in the gearbox the discs wear out but its not a big diy job. They are noe of the most comfortable tractors to drive with i think one of the best cabs around.

• Advertisement

scaniaman wrote: »
    Make sure the handbrake works it works with discs on the main shaft in the gearbox the discs wear out but its not a big diy job.

Oh yea forgot about handbrakes... and rust, although rust is something to deal with on nearly every tractor, dynashift is great, makes them more expensive, but transforms its usability.

Would have expected dynashift to be on the 3005 series, you sure that its a 1993 3080,

Would have expected dynashift to be on the 3005 series, you sure that its a 1993 3080,

Thought the same myself:confused:

As far as I remember, and don't quote me on this, 3000 series was introduced in 1986 and was updated after just a few years to the 3005, and then a year or two after dynashift became an option on them,

(Initiate anorak mode :D) haha

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

kincaid wrote: »
    Ok need some advice on a 1993 massey 3080 tractor in very good order, approx 7000hrs. 40K 18G/Box price at €8500..
    My brother is thinking of buying one of these but I heard they give a lot of trouble, I think with gearboxes but any advice on this really appreciated…

must be a replacement gearbox because the early 3000 series were 30k and had no dynashift.
    the 3080 has the same perkins engine as the 399 which is reliable.
    as said the 32 speed gearboxes can give trouble and are best avoided.

s far as I remember, and don't quote me on this, 3000 series was introduced in 1986 and was updated after just a few years to the 3005, and then a year or two after dynashift became an option on them,

(Initiate anorak mode
    :D) haha

I think the 3005s came around 92,93ish I'll have to go rootin in the attic for a few old magazines with me anorak on:D

• Advertisement

scaniaman wrote: »
    s far as I remember, and don't quote me on this, 3000 series was introduced in 1986 and was updated after just a few years to the 3005, and then a year or two after dynashift became an option on them,

(Initiate anorak mode
    :D) haha

I think the 3005s came around 92,93ish I'll have to go rootin in the attic for a few old magazines with me anorak on:D
    3005 series i think were 93 onwards.

yes its definately got a 40k box in it, so all 16speed box gearbox in all these 3080 are very reliable,,great news
    handbrake needs some work tho

Handbrake can be adjusted but more than likely need two new discs. The discs are'nt too dear its a while since i did one so cant remember how much.
    Drain the back end oil two plates on either side of the gearbox come off slide the main coupler on the shaft two new discs in and refill oil and away you go.

ok thanks all- now whats this tractor worth, right it has the same engine and has better cab than a 399 but the 399 is way more expensive so whats would be a good price for this

one guy told me today that these 3000 series do not hold their value at all but the 300 series does

kincaid wrote: »
    ok thanks all- now whats this tractor worth, right it has the same engine and has better cab than a 399 but the 399 is way more expensive so whats would be a good price for this

one guy told me today that these 3000 series do not hold their value at all but the 300 series does

Id say its about on the money at 8.5k those 399s way overpriced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

it possibly was a 32 speed box before and it was converted into a 16 speed box costing around 3000e. a give away is if it says A and B in the back/foward stick it was where as if it says nothing it wasnt. with the 30 kph boxes once you opened the gearbox you could change a cog which made it into 40kph box.

rang main dealer and he said you could get either 30k or 40k box..

he didnt really rate these tractors either..

i've decided not to bother with it is its price and maybe difficult to shift it later on when i decided to sell....

thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

if it has dynashift 4 selections its most likely a 32 speed .. contrary to whats been said already ive never seen any problems with these gearboxes, even when dogged and with high hours.. if its a clean tractor you wouldnt go too far wrong at that money .. having said that the hours a highish.. and ive seen a few 3125's needing clutch packs at around those hours..

the early 32 speed gearboxes are the ones that give the trouble.
    we had a mf 3060 32 speed and the a-b selector got difficult to change after time. they have 1 2 3 4 on one lever with a button on the side console which gives lower speeds.
    the dynashift and 16 speed boxes came later and are more reliable .
    if the a b lever was abused in the 32 speed it will fail after time.
    so if your buying secondhand avoid the 32 speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

AFAIK the 32 speed with the A-B-C-D dynashift lever and that has high / low slection via flicking the 1-2-3-4 main gear stick to the side is reliable in all models.. ive seen several from the 3085 right up to 6190 and none ever gave trouble.. and they were abused.

• Advertisement

ive been put off these really as they dont hold their value and still people will always associate them with the tractor that give big gearbox trouble no matter whether its 16/32 gearbox the tractor has,
    unlike the 399 the 3080 has a bad reputation out there from what ive heard from people...

i might be safer off going for a good john deere 3040 or 3050 etc

would love a 390t or 399 even a slightly damaged one but hard to get and straight ones big money...

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-3080/28045639

Resurrecting this thread guys. Would like to have a look at this tractor but have never driven one. What actually gives problems on these 32x32 gearboxes? Thanks for any information.

Advertisement