Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hang interior door

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

I would take middle hinge out, tighten up the top, see if it closes.
    If it does your middle hinge needs to go a bit deeper on either the door or the frame. You should be able to tell by eye if its slightly proud in parts.

If its still same (without middle hinge) top probably needs to go deeper too.

Edit: didnt mean the word too

this is where it hits
    Is the door precisely the same width as the one that came out?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Is the door precisely the same width as the one that came out?

yeah same size. Door that came out doesnet look like it was planed

does everyone agree with this ? i have to go deeper ?

:)
    Check without middle hinge first. Doesnt require any deepening.

• Advertisement

actually worse now, top looks like it would struggle to close now and middle is worse than before

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Did you fit this door into the ope before you placed on any hinges.

The hinge side does not look too bad, the bottom hinge gap between the door and frame, looks a bit tight,
    but should close . If any of the hinge side gaps get bigger when you force the door, then the problem
    is on the right hand side, either to close to the rebate , or hinge bound on the hinges.

If on the other hand you never fitted the door, planed or whatever into the ope before you hinged it, then it may be as simple
    as relieving it at the lock stile.

Its easier to fit properly into the ope before any hinges get fitted.
    But dont panic, you will get their.

Maybe, maybe not,

It may be hitting at the receiver point, but what is the clearance along the rest of the lock stile. If you deepen the hinge to make it fit here, you may end up with gaps along the rest of the lock stile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Remove the lock strike plate and see if that makes a difference

so i removed the lock plate and no real difference , still getting stuck in the middle area

yeah the hinge gaps do not get bigger when i close the door so that looks like they are ok

how do i do this ? "relieving it at the lock stile."

I am not panicking but sweating like a dog :-)

• Advertisement

here are pics from the other side when closed, its clearly too tight as it goes down along the door

ok i think i have it narrowed down, the bottom hinge was going in too far on the jamb as i am hanging the door myself without anyone holding it. I held the door out further from the jamb and it closes better, not correctly but better so i think i need someone to hold the door up dead straight while i screw in the bottom hinge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Do you have the old door to compare the width of both, a millimeter or 2 would make a big difference, to relieve the door on the lock stile you will need to plane a slight bevel on it, unless you have a sharp plane don't try this

You dont need anyone else at all.

Just loosen the bottom hinge, place a flat chisel between door and frame, prise it out
    and screw in a new place,
    job done

thanks to everyone here, the door is closing and im happy with it. Slight bit of a pull needed at end but more than acceptable

Not going to use this thread but how hard / easy is it to attach the handles ? I dont need a lock at all , would i be able to do the lock, can you recommend any u tube videos please ?

Congrats you have just completed door hanging 101:D

Glad you got sorted!

Handiest way for doing the lock, I've found, is to use an auger drill bit and a sharp chisel.
    Can use the chisel alone, but auger bit will make life a bit easier - but cant emphasise enough the chisel has to be sharp or it will break your heart :)

You've done the hard part don't stop now !!

In the lock and handle set, there would be templates to mark both, so you cant go wrong.

I would keep your posts or questions about locking it on this thread as well, keep it all together for the next door hanger

ok thanks so much. Ill get the handle and drill bit and see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Glad you got sorted but just one observation - it looks to me like the lock plate is on the wrong way around. I could be seeing it completely wrong of course!

• Advertisement

Glad you got sorted but just one observation - it looks to me like the lock plate is on the wrong way around. I could be seeing it completely wrong of course!

Its not , it has the adjuster leaves pointing toward the rebate,
    as they should be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

kadman wrote: »
    Its not , it has the adjuster leaves pointing toward the rebate,
    as they should be

Now I’m embarrassed - I thought the easement was turned in, never even looked at the tangs. Oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 67,030 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'm following the building of this house on youtube. This was posted last week. May or may not be a help.

Now I’m embarrassed - I thought the easement was turned in, never even looked at the tangs. Oops!

Tangs are easily adjustable with a narrow screwdriver, to either tighten or loosen
    the bight of the plate on the door lock.

Very handy.

Prior to this innovative design, you had to reposition the plate, to adjust the hold on the door.
    Lose door would rattle, and a tight door needed a good bang to close it.

I wouldn't be embarrassed. I have on occasion fitted them arseways once.

Back in 1972:D:P. Its an easy thing to do.

Advertisement