Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

So what way do yous reckon New Japan goes now?

I think the money with Okada is in chasing the IWGP World Heavyweight championship considering he's yet to hold it, no rush in getting it back to him, just feels fresher without him at the very top.

Obviously Ospreay when he's back gets a shot, but he has already wrestled Shingo what four times so again I'd be hesitant to go straight back to it.

I'd go with Naito winning the G1 and going onto WK to face Shingo, it's unusual for the non-leader of a faction in puro to hold gold while the leader doesn't. So they could definitely play into that, although it's Naito so he probably couldn't care less :D

Either way New Japan have got me invested again.

Recommend anyone to watch the Syuri/Utami Hayashis*ita main event from today's Tokyo Dream Cinderella. Easily one of the best matches of the year and I don't think you'll see another women's match come close, I'd actually say it was one of the best women's wrestling matches I've ever seen.

Also LOB you see that Great O'Khan has been speaking about bringing Okuda and Ben-K into New Japan as juniors as part of the United Empire :D I'm interested, give me Mr Danger Zone in the BOSJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Holy God I just finished that Stardom main event between Utami and Syuri and it's an absolute banger. Literally from the floor spots onwards I was hooked and that finish is the best I've seen in pro wrestling since the Okada Money Clip vs Shingo in last years G1.

https://twitter.com/openvoicegate/status/1405281019272462342

See that LOB? Hate to see them lose Ishida.

Meltzer gave Utami/Syuri 5.5 stars, the first women's match to get 5 stars for 26 years since Akira Hokuto and Manami Toyota in AJW in 95.

Absolutely deserved, I reckon it's in the running for MOTY. STARDOM have the best womens wrestlers anywhere in the world and it's not even close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

NJPW announced its first US show since the pandemic started

Resurgence will take place in LA on August 17th.

Featuring Mox, Jay White, Tom Lawlor, The Good Brothers, FinJuice, Shota Umini & TJP.

It will be available on PPV on Fite.

Jay White in the States I wonder will he go through the forbidden door while he is there.

Is there much new japan stuff on fitetv?

Matt Morris (Adrian English) has joined the NJPW commentary team for NJPW Resurgence in LA next month which is putting together a great card.

He was always great on commentary in the WWE

LOB my man, are you going to be watching Kobe World? Can't believe it's that time already.

Shun/KZY should be great, the whole winner faces YAMATO the next night thing is a bit iffy. Could kill KZY a bit if he wins the big one only to lose it straight away. Really good card though, fancy Genki to take the Brave Gate.

And then Speedstar final the next night, gonna be emotional seeing him in-ring for the last time.

G.O.D & Ospreay joining Jay White now based in Strong for the next while.

Cracking promo from Ospreay last night a pity about the mic issues for some of the other promos during the event.

• Advertisement

I'm like 4 shows behind in this G1 Climax but holy hell it's a weird watch.

Everything is fine, sometimes stuff is even good, nothing is bad. The crowd are clapping, Kevin Kelly and Chris Charlton (for some of the shows) are telling fun stories to get you more invested in the matches but it's gone from a must see blockbuster month of MOTY candidates to being something you can put on in the background, maybe drift off to sleep, you wake up and Taichi is wrestling Yoshi-Hashi and it's absolutely fine.

Shibata is back! Love to see it.

Please give us Danielson/Shibata!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Kazuchika Okada, with THE IWGP Heavyweight Championship sitting on his shoulder.

Wrestle Kingdom night 3 will be NJPW vs. NOAH.

KENTA returning to NOAH is nuts, like Hogan coming back to WWE in 02.

The top of the card at NOAH is very good, almost great at the minute, good time to get into it with the appearance at WK coming up.

Nakajima and Kenoh had one of the best matches of the year in the main event yesterday.

Just dropping in to say that DG Fantastic Gate main event was excellent and the show closing angle was electric.

Also really enjoyed the D-OU final today. Fun show overall, hardly need to say it again but Takesh(I)ta is stunning.

Man Shun is a dirt bag, he did Dia dirty! I think everyone was expecting it to be Inferno but that was a fantastic swerve.

DG needed a hot angle to regain some of the momentum they lost a bit from the start of the year and that should do the trick!

Shibata has announced he will have a match at Wrestle Kingdom day 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Went to the NJPW Strong tapings last night in Seattle, my first NJPW show since I lived in Tokyo in 2017! It was a great set of matches so I'll be adding Strong to my weekly viewing schedule.

Clark Connors is absolute money and will be a big star for them, was wildly over last night too which helped. A nice surprise in the main event also with

Jay Lethal

appearing to take on Jay White.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,915 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

New Japan finished for January

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Windy City show on tonight, haven't watched New Japan in a while but gonna watch some of this. Scott Norton back for the night teaming with Bullet Club. Mox vs Ospreay could be good. No idea who Jay White's mystery opponent is gonna be. Pre-show is on YouTube now

Kaz Fujita basically squashing Nakajima to win the GHC Title with Nakajima on his hottest run only to then vacate the title due to injury is hilarious and pretty typical of NOAH in 2022.

The Capital Collision so far announced card looking stacked

Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs. Juice Robinson vs. Will Ospreay vs. Jon Moxley

Kazuchika Okada & Trent Beretta vs. Jay White & Hikuleo

Brody King vs. Minoru Suzuki

Eddie Kingston vs. Tomohiro Ishii

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I don't follow NJPW or any of those but I know ones here do and I'm also aware of Ibushi.

But this link was posted elsewhere. Ibushi tweeting curious stuff and airing dirty laundry.

And I'll just copy the comment/summary from where I got it as well

There's tons of stuff to go through here; from allegations of "power harassment", overstepping bookers, organized crime... Mind you, these are mostly taken only from Kota's side, so we are definitely not seeing the whole picture. But one thing is clear: Kota Ibushi's time in New Japan is prolly coming to a swift, unceremonious end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Kota just took the nuclear option, really hope he has evidence and an escape plan, because his life may be about to become very uncomfortable.

Advertisement