Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,895 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    For anyone who's interested. Cliff notes from Triple H's latest media call, ahead of NXT's Takeover: In Your House.
    @TripleH tells the fans to just watch NXT and decide if you like it or don't. Tells them to watch it or don't. Says the fans ruin things half the time by being overly critical. "It's a marathon, not a sprint." Says he wants NXT to be long term.

Rereading the conference call points again and this one really sticks out.

When ratings are at rock bottom and the product is stale having the Executive Vice President of Global Talent Strategy & Development of the company basically telling it's fan base to shut up and If you don't like don't watch and stop complaining.

That seems like a serious error in judgement from someone in such a powerful position in a billion dollar organization that makes the majority of its money from TV companies who pay that money on the back of ratings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Rereading the conference call points again and this one really sticks out.

When ratings are at rock bottom and the product is stale having the Executive Vice President of Global Talent Strategy & Development of the company basically telling it's fan base to shut up and If you don't like don't watch and stop complaining.

That seems like a serious error in judgement from someone in such a powerful position in a billion dollar organization that makes the majority of its money from TV companies who pay that money on the back of ratings.

is it though? As long as wrestling is cheaper than other content for them to produce, FOX and especially USA will be happy with it. They're not losing money on it. AFAIK bad ratings for wrestling are often better than decent ratings for regular TV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭ThePott

Talk now that NXT are trying to bring Samoa Joe back.

Sacking high paying contracted talent then trying to bring them back on a lot smaller paying contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,543 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sacking high paying contracted talent then trying to bring them back on a lot smaller paying contracts.
    Yeah that was the speculation with Strowman and I think it definitely looks like that's the plan to cut some costs.

I guess they're over the fear they had initially that everyone was going to fly the coop to other promotions so they don't feel the need to offer big contracts anymore. Pretty scummy move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1403520542951497731

Gage showed up at Cardona's podcast show last night and the match for the GCW World title has been announced for Homecoming. Good stuff again, easily the best thing along with the Mox stuff from GCW in ages.

ACH is retiring from wrestling again.

WWE officials including Vince, Step & HHH are being sued in a $300m stock scandal after sales of their stock without telling investor of the collapse of a TV deal in the middle east. They informed investors that they were renewing the TV deal despite knowing the deal would not be happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,363 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

WWE officials including Vince, Step & HHH being sued in a $300m stock scandal after sales of stock without telling investor of the collapse of a TV deal in the middle east. They informed investors that they were renewing the TV deal despite knowing the deal would not be happening.

Wasn’t there something similar to this last year or the year before that around investors claiming they weren’t being kept informed as required ?

It’ll come to nothing as wwe and Jerry mcdivitt will do their usual of moving the case to court in Connecticut and slow walk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'd be confident that they wouldn't of made such a smarmy move without being told they'd get away with it.

The What Culture guy Adam Pacitti making news for trolling GB News by subtly mooning the hosts on live TV while asking a question while on Facetime with them his reflection in the mirror behind him showed him giving them the full moon.

I wouldn't be a fan of him myself however he as gone up a rung or two in my appreciation for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The What Culture guy Adam Pacitti making news for trolling GB News by subtly mooning the hosts on live TV while asking a question while on Facetime with them his reflection in the mirror behind him showed him giving them the full moon.

I wouldn't be a fan of him myself however he as gone up a rung or two in my appreciation for that.

Video in question for anyone: https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/17/gb-news-is-butt-of-the-joke-as-comedian-moons-laurence-fox-live-on-air-14785808/

:pac:

Beefcake's wife is asking for fans to pray for him as he deals with health issues.

That doesn't sound good.

Wrestling Inc

WWE Hall of Famer Edge is reportedly scheduled for a match at SummerSlam.
    Edge has been out of action since WrestleMania 37, but now Florida sports reporter Jon Alba reports that The Rated R Superstar is currently penciled in for a SmackDown brand match at the WWE SummerSlam pay-per-view on Saturday, August 21.
    There is no word yet on who Edge will be wrestling that night, but it was noted that he is scheduled to be the babyface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Possible spoilers so I'll tag it.
    Former WWE Raw and Smackdown Women's Champion Becky Lynch was at the WWE Performance Center earlier this week, PWInsider.com has confirmed. The visit was described to us as part of the process for Lynch to return to action for the company after celebrating the birth of her and Seth Rollins' daughter, Roux, in December 2020.

Apparently they updated the article to say she was training with Indi Hartwell. My guess is surprise entrant at MITB, win it and cash in against Rhea at Summerslam. MITB will have fans back so they'll want a big moment.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Possible spoilers so I'll tag it.

Apparently they updated the article to say she was training with Indi Hartwell. My guess is surprise entrant at MITB, win it and cash in against Rhea at Summerslam. MITB will have fans back so they'll want a big moment.

I get the feeling J there’s info missing from that post because it doesn’t reveal anything and I’m still none the wiser as to what’s happening.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I get the feeling J there’s info missing from that post because it doesn’t reveal anything and I’m still none the wiser as to what’s happening.

It's to do with a possible return so I said I'd spoiler it just in case people don't want to know.

It's to do with a possible return so I said I'd spoiler it just in case people don't want to know.

Well yeah I understand that and it was the right call, but I was assuming the person allegedly returning would be named and they weren’t(at least not when I posted about it) under the spoiler tag. That’s what my post was in reference to as what you wrote didn’t give anything away.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well yeah I understand that and it was the right call, but I was assuming the person allegedly returning would be named and they weren’t(at least not when I posted about it) under the spoiler tag. That’s what my post was in reference to as what you wrote didn’t give anything away.

Ahh, I had quote tags within spoiler tags in the post. I think that might be why it didn't show up.

I think it's fixed now.

• Advertisement

Peacock not happy that the WWE gave away Hell in a Cell for free on Fox when they had been advising it for PPV on Peacock.

Fox not happy that the WWE keep advertising Peacock on there show.

Peacock not happy that the WWE gave away Hell in a Cell for free on Fox when they had been advising it for PPV on Peacock.

Fox not happy that the WWE keep advertising Peacock on there show.

What a shock.

Reading today that there seems to be something going on with the WWE trying to copyright Keith Lee's name and him refusing to sign off on it and trying to copyright it himself.

I wonder is this playing a part in him not being on TV.

WWE RAW writer doesn't know the name of the RAW World Champion

New WWE writer says ‘they did not require me to know anything about wrestling’
    On a recent episode of the “Asian Not Asian” podcast, Kenice Mobley was interviewed. She is a standup comedian who was recently hired to be a writer for WWE on the Monday Night Raw brand.

This was an interesting tidbit from the interview (transcription via Post Wrestling):

“Yes, I have just been hired by WWE. Given the things that you know about me and my entire life and what I’m into, yes [that’s surprising]. Yes, also a surprise for me. They did not require me to know anything about wrestling but I do have a background in film production and comedy writing and they’re like, ‘Perfect. Come on in.”

“So I am on the Monday Night Raw team. So there’s Monday Night Raw and Friday Night SmackDown and the people I know that are on it are Bobby — his name is either Bobby Ashley or Bobby Lashley and I really should know that. He’s like this giant Black guy and he and the people who are part of his crew, I know that they call — or at least as of last year, they called themselves The Hurt Business. The Hurt Business. They wear suits and they’re like, ‘We’re cool.’”

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2021/6/23/22548059/new-wwe-writer-not-required-to-know-anything-about-wrestling-bobby-lashley-raw

^ bloody hell.
    how can hiring someone who knows nothing about a product be tasked with writing the product. Its madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,301 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sure I watch the product and constantly forget champions. Usually tag champions

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Sure I watch the product and constantly forget champions. Usually tag champions

Took me about 30 seconds there to remember the Raw tag champions.

Bobby Ashley ? It’s the granddaughter of jack Pfefer clearly. Is it really that shocking that wwe is hiring creative team members who know literally nothing about wrestling ? Let’s be honest and say no it’s not at all.

Belts are utterly meaningless in WWE so I'm not remotely surprised.

Took me about 30 seconds there to remember the Raw tag champions.
    Was the Smackdown champs for me.

At least Lashley is partially remembered. None of the writers seem to remember the 24/7 champion

As a standup comedian what qualifications does she have and who is she writing for?

At least now we know why they forget and drop storylines. The writers aren't aware of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Riddle101

The writers probably don't need to know much about wrestling before they enter the job but you would think they would do their homework at least. You wouldn't go into a job interview without doing research on the company first, and you would want to brush up on your knowledge of the industry before you start working in it. It would be lazy not.

Sabu's partner Super Genie Melissa Coates passed away, RIP.

https://twitter.com/CACReunion/status/1407872540165525504?s=20

Riddle101 wrote: »
    The writers probably don't need to know much about wrestling before they enter the job but you would think they would do their homework at least. You wouldn't go into a job interview without doing research on the company first, and you would want to brush up on your knowledge of the industry before you start working in it. It would be lazy not.

Yeah.
    and call me an old stickler, but you don't go on a podcast and tell the entire world how you know next to nothing about the product you are writing for :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,632 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sabu's partner Super Genie Melissa Coates passed away, RIP.

https://twitter.com/CACReunion/status/1407872540165525504?s=20

That's heart breaking, she was only on Chris Van Vliet Youtube channel 3 months ago with Sabu and looking ok

Pure Sabu :(

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Nope. She's under the Raw roster on the WWE Superstars page.
    I see Doudrop is the name for Piper on there.

WWE touring the UK in September,

What can go wrong with this.

https://twitter.com/WWEUK/status/1408363962299731969?s=20

WWE touring the UK in September,

What can go wrong with this.

Probably less than can go wrong with running shows in Florida...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

WWE RAW writer doesn't know the name of the RAW World Champion

New WWE writer says ‘they did not require me to know anything about wrestling’

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2021/6/23/22548059/new-wwe-writer-not-required-to-know-anything-about-wrestling-bobby-lashley-raw

She’s been released now.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    She’s been released now.

Only has herself to blame. Judging from her pictures she seems to be around 25ish so she should have known better. You'd understand an 18 year old or something being that dumb. But not an adult.

Only has herself to blame. Judging from her pictures she seems to be around 25ish so she should have known better. You'd understand an 18 year old or something being that dumb. But not an adult.

She's in her early 30s.

She's in her early 30s.

Then more of a reason as to why she should have known better.

While I get why people are mad, I think really the anger should be pointed at WWE's hiring policies. It's far from anything new to be honest, they've hired plenty of comedians and reality TV writers in the past. Hell that Adnan Virk guy didn't know anyone either and had to look them up on WWE.com.

Jericho taking the jokes about his Blood and Guts bump in good humour...
    "People that bagged on it can really f**k their a** because it was dangerous. It was scary. I was saying prayers before. I was a little bit worried because you never know. It was a legit fifteen drop. Nestea plunge. You can't see behind you and you hope for the best. It was something that I thought about all day. No one had to convince me to do it because I knew it was right for the story, but like I said, people that didn't respect that bump really aren't fans. People in the business that were kind of bagging on it should know better because it's not something you would really want anybody to do because it's dangerous and it can affect you for your life if it goes wrong."

So people laugh at that sort of stuff but there's no reason to because this is the real deal and it can happen at any time. Best of luck to anybody in our business, and anybody that bags on somebody who's taking a chance and putting their bodies on the line can really **** off. Especially people in the business. I could say some names. There's a couple of chicks in WWE who said some stuff and they should probably not have said that. They probably weren't trained any better, and in 6 months they'll probably be asking us for a job anyways and I'll remember that, so we'll leave it at that."

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/chris-jericho-says-hardest-bump-he-ever-took-happened-aew-blood-guts

Safe to say Shotzi won't end up in AEW.

• Advertisement

And this week's NXT had someone do the same thing.

I see that wwe are running MSG on September 10th, 2021 for a smack down tv taping and apparently in the minds of some AEW fans(from another message board) there’s some shady intent in wwe running a building that the McMahon family have promoted at at least incarnations of including the present building since it opened in 1968. It’s the one thing I appreciate about boards.ie in that while we can disagree, it’s never personal.

To be clear AEW is running the main stadium of the US open tennis complex on September 22nd which is nearly two weeks later than WWE, and AEW can have shows wherever they like, but it seems WWE cant run a building that while it’s not run as often in recent years, due to cost it’s still to me WWEs home.

Edit: to also note that AEW is running another show prior to September 22nd in the New York area but my point still stands that wwe running a show at MSG isn’t some grand conspiracy against AEW.

Vince on a night off backstage at a Dave Chappelle gig over the weekend.

E45qxl3XoAMlpFV?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Vince looking like he's done a day on the sauce.

• Advertisement
Advertisement