Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerry Way UltraLite 2021

• 26-03-2021 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I don't' see much on the 'Kerry Way UltraLite' event on Boards so I'll start this thread.

I've just signed up for this year and it will be my first ever Ultra :eek: Equal parts nervous and excited.

All going well it's still planning to go ahead on Saturday September 4th. The official race website is here.

The race is ~58kms from Sneem to Killarney along the Kerry Way. I'm guess participants will need to be self sufficient in terms of navigation. There's an aerial overview route video here.

It's seems hard to find out what the total vertical climb is, not sure if anyone knows? Over 1,000 meters I'd guess?

Is anyone signing up for this? The full ultra is close to 200kms, so I'll see how the 'Lite' version goes first!

Any hints, tips or advice appreciated. Really looking forward to it and possibly a whole new genre of racing to get into!

Thanks,
    BigAl.

Ps: I'm working my way through the more than 100 pages of the Boards 'Ultra Discussion Thread', but thought an event specific thread could be useful too!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Enduro

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hi,

I don't' see much on the 'Kerry Way UltraLite' event on Boards so I'll start this thread.

I've just signed up for this year and it will be my first ever Ultra :eek: Equal parts nervous and excited.

All going well it's still planning to go ahead on Saturday September 4th. The official race website is here.

The race is ~58kms from Sneem to Killarney along the Kerry Way. I'm guess participants will need to be self sufficient in terms of navigation. There's an aerial overview route video here.

It's seems hard to find out what the total vertical climb is, not sure if anyone knows? Over 1,000 meters I'd guess?

Is anyone signing up for this? The full ultra is close to 200kms, so I'll see how the 'Lite' version goes first!

Any hints, tips or advice appreciated. Really looking forward to it and possibly a whole new genre of racing to get into!

Thanks,
    BigAl.

Ps: I'm working my way through the more than 100 pages of the Boards 'Ultra Discussion Thread', but thought an event specific thread could be useful too!

Firstly... enjoy it! And enjoy the training as much as possible as well. Make sure to get some hills in to your training as regularly as you can.

And don't get suckered into going out too fast in the early stages. Chill out, and run your own pace. Try and finish running at a similar speed to your starting pace.

It's a great event. Brilliant atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Did the nite last year. Navigation is pretty straightforward, as the Kerry Way is very well marked. Biggest hill is on the main road out of Kenmare heading towards Killarney. I’d say overall climb for the 58k is probably more like 1200/1300m. Like the post above, get in the practice running on different surfaces, there are a few parts where experience of rough ground will help, though most of it is good surface. ‘Tis a great event!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Enduro wrote: »
    Firstly... enjoy it! And enjoy the training as much as possible as well. Make sure to get some hills in to your training as regularly as you can.

And don't get suckered into going out too fast in the early stages. Chill out, and run your own pace. Try and finish running at a similar speed to your starting pace.

It's a great event. Brilliant atmosphere.

Thanks for the tips, really looking forward to it :)

Good point on getting hills into the training, just need that pesky 5k travel limit to be eased now and I can get to the Dublin mountains, some lovely runs along the Dublin Mountains Way.

Yep, will be starting very handy, 58k with a mountain in the middle is a loooong way to go!

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Did the nite last year. Navigation is pretty straightforward, as the Kerry Way is very well marked. Biggest hill is on the main road out of Kenmare heading towards Killarney. I’d say overall climb for the 58k is probably more like 1200/1300m. Like the post above, get in the practice running on different surfaces, there are a few parts where experience of rough ground will help, though most of it is good surface. ‘Tis a great event!

Wow!

From the website, the UltraNite is "approx. 93k in length, starting in Waterville and finishing in Killarney"... and at night time!! Fair play!!

Any advice from a veteran so? Did you find it hard fuling for such a long run? Any gear you'd say would be a must have outside of the mandatory kit? I see some people use poles for example.

And have you recovered from it yet :p

On the UltraLite route itself, I found a bit more info after seraching online.

This Plotaroute link shows it as 55k rather than 58k, but I'm sure it's pretty close...

548554.jpg

Shows total elevation gain as around 1,300 meters. Easy :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Please stop posting this stuff, you're making me want to sign up :)

opus wrote: »

Ah sure it's only 58,000 meters long up a mountain, will be grand :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thanks for starting this thread. I’m signed up for it too and will be my first ultra ... haven’t done any trail running either so lots of prep to do but looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Great to see this thread startup, I am heading down to do the ultra-lite as well, my husband ran the 100k ultra nite, I think it was last year, and had a great time he is doing the 200k this year.

I am looking forward to it and getting back out on the hills again soon. it is a fantastic event so well run last year.

Wow!

From the website, the UltraNite is "approx. 93k in length, starting in Waterville and finishing in Killarney"... and at night time!! Fair play!!

Any advice from a veteran so? Did you find it hard fuling for such a long run? Any gear you'd say would be a must have outside of the mandatory kit? I see some people use poles for example.

Cheers, I do feel fortunate to have got to do an event of some description in the second half of 2020. The RD (Eileen) went to great lengths to go ahead with so deserves special mention.

I wouldn't say veteran tbh, twas my first time going longer than 50k and I managed to survive and finish it, slowly. I had made peace at an early stage in training that I was going to be walking substantial sections of it so that made it easier mentally as I had trained like that as well.

Nutrition can be tricky alright . I found luchos dillito and nakd bars very good last year. I also found a coleslaw like salad in the polish shop that was high in energy and easy to digest so I tried to eat that at the aid stations. You'll just need to try out various stuff and find out what works for you. Simple, easily digestible and bang for buck in terms of calories is probably good rules of thumb. Stay away from quick sugar fixes as much as possible as they won't last long.

Didn't use poles myself but plenty do. I'm not sure the climbing is severe enough to get the most out of them. The right backpack is quite important as there is a good bit of mandatory kit so being able to carry it all, and being able to find it quickly without having to take everything out is unvaluable. A good waterproof jacket is worth spending money on too. You won't regret it if the weather turns dirty.

The recovery is nearly complete, just two partially discoloured toenails remain!!! I'm going back for more punishment this year too :-)

• Advertisement

Seems to be filling up rapidly, do it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Just entered as well, been a while since I took part in anything so looking forward to it. Found the first part on Strava!

Sneem to Templenoe

Templenoe to Kenmare

Welcome Kerrygirl, Baby75 and SomeFool to the team :D Just waiting on Opus now ;)

Only 158 days to go. Good luck with the training everyone!!

For some general info, I follow Wild Ginger Running on YouTube.

She has some great interviews with top class runners, as well as kit and gear tests and some good recommendations and advice.

Also, one thing from an earlier post from 'JohnDozer' that I was glad to hear... "Navigation is pretty straightforward, as the Kerry Way is very well marked."

I'll be doing a navigation course and have a map and compass etc, but glad to hear I won't be jumping into the deep end first time out in terms of navigating.

Welcome Kerrygirl, Baby75 and SomeFool to the team :D Just waiting on Opus now ;)

Only 158 days to go. Good luck with the training everyone!!

You don't have to wait long, I've just entered :)

The entry form was funny, list the events you've done since Sept 2020. Let's just say it was a short list!

You don't have to wait long, I've just entered :)

Welcome Opus to the motley crew so :D

The planning continues so!

There's lots of Ultra topics that could each be their own thread, but I might post a few topics here specifically with the Kerry Way UltraLite in mind as time goes on.

To start with then, what footwear are people planning to wear?

I've currently got Salomon SpeedCross 4's, and I'm getting some Saucony Peregrine 11's shortly. I'm thinking I'll go for the Saucony on the day as they are a bit more all terrain compared the the Salomon big rubber lugs that are great for wet mud.

Do people plan to change shoes during the race? We can have a drop bag right? And there's two aid stations where you can meet your "crew" as well right?

I've ordered some SealSkinz waterproof socks to try out. I'm assuming it's going to be raining / wet on the day and planning for that. If it is wet, I'll be prepared, and if it's dry that will just be a bonus!

I tip I see recommended a lot is waterproof socks, and non-waterproof shoes. Anyone tired that?

Do people plan to wear those shin protectors, I think they might be called Gators?

Any other tips :)

Go team!

No idea yet, current trail shoes are Scarpa Neutron, great on trail but poor on tarred surface. I'll have to do some more reading to figure out a suitable shoe, let us know how the Kinvaras go!

Do people plan to change shoes during the race? We can have a drop bag right? And there's two aid stations where you can meet your "crew" as well right?

Ideally I'd like to keep moving, I wouldn't like to get moving again after a stop, that's just me, I'll have to see how I feel on the day so I wouldn't rule it out!

I tip I see recommended a lot is waterproof socks, and non-waterproof shoes. Anyone tired that?

Big believer in a good goretex shoe!

Find a comfortable bag, use it regularly so it's not a shock to be carrying a load on the day!

Go team!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I'll be watching yer progress with envy. Not done an ultra, training for my first marathon at the moment. Away for work at the moment on those dates so can't sign up but that 58km would have suited me.

Out of interest , what kind of length runs do you people do to train for this length of race?

There's lots of Ultra topics that could each be their own thread, but I might post a few topics here specifically with the Kerry Way UltraLite in mind as time goes on.

Go team!

Thats a lot of questions!! It's great to see a thread on this race this year. Fair play for starting it.

I wore Hoka Speedgoat last year and probably would again for any longer stuff, very comfortable and super grip. Like yourself, I intend to purchase a pair of Peregrines as I'd be a fan of Saucony shoes generally and have had a few of their trail shoes I liked.

I've never changed my shoes during a run, but I did change my socks last year in Kenmare and it was like having new feet (for a while) so I can definitely see the benefit. I'd always be concerned that you may not get some of your drop bag stuff back so wouldn't put shoes in there.

Theres definitely two aid stations/ crew points on the 58k route, Templenoe and Kenmare. You'll need to check if you can put drop bags in both places for your specific race.

Don't have any personal experince to offer on Sealskinz but appear to be well regarded. I use double layer merino wool socks (no particular brand) as one of the lads recommended them. They do dry out very quick if wet and are very comfortable. Do get a high sock (mid calf) as this will give you some protection against briars or pebbles etc. In saying that, there isn't very much of that at all so I don't think gaiters would be needed. They seem to be more for races where you're encountering lots of loose small pebbles, sand or similar.

I think you're right on the shoes. From what I've read the suggestion seems to be if water gets in, which it will, it finds it much harder to leave your shoe. Most good trail shoes will get rid of water very quick anyway.

If you can get down to recce some of the route during the Summer do, the stretch from Templenoe to Kenmare is tough enough terrain wise but also mentally because it twists and turns many times and it seems to take forever to reach Kenmare which you can see is only a little bit away. Do get practice on stiles as well, theres a good few to encounter on the first half of the route. A handy tip I learned last year is to stand well back from anyone climbing a stile with poles, as the poles are liable to go anywhere :D The stretch around Torc Mountain is tricky as well. Theres about 2/3k on boulders that are tricky enough on tired legs. The bit near the waterfall itself does have a couple of places where its easy to miss the arrows so would be no harm to have looked around. If possible with restrictions of course.

Having the route on your Garmin or phone would help for peace of mind, but as I've said earlier, it is well marked but you know yourself when the brain gets tired and the concentration drops, tis easy miss one.

I suppose I better start training if ye are all getting stuck in!!!

• Advertisement

I've only got the one pair of trail runners (don't even know the brand) that I used on the Art O'Neill challenge the three times I was lucky enough to get in, think it might be time to get something new now.

Can't comment on how wet the Kerry Way will be but the last stretch of the AON is 20k up/down a boggy hill in early Jan so sodden would be an understatement. The advice I got was that gotex runners were a very bad idea as once they were full of water after you stuck your leg in a bog hole you'd just be carting the water around with you for the rest of the time. I've tried both merino socks & the long sealskinz ones, either option would be ok I think although Sept might be too warm for the sealskinz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭CJay1

Personally I find Sealskinz waterproof socks very uncomfortable after a while. I definitely wouldn't wear them for 50km +

I've always found goretex great to have on at least one pair

Only my own experience though

Thanks for the tips, really looking forward to it :)

Good point on getting hills into the training, just need that pesky 5k travel limit to be eased now and I can get to the Dublin mountains, some lovely runs along the Dublin Mountains Way.

Yep, will be starting very handy, 58k with a mountain in the middle is a loooong way to go!

Not just the DMW. There's the Wicklow Way as well. And loads of trails in all the forests (Personally, massey's woods would be my favourite). All good training, and enjoyable to be out and about. Plenty of places to find potential routes. Looking at where IMRA races go is always good for clues.

Wow!

Jumping in on this... You eat food. You don't fuel. First thing is to not sweat the food thing. The best thing to eat is what you feel like eating at the time, not what someone else tells you would be good. My top tip here is to not eat anything (or drink anything except water) in your training, so you begin to adapt to fat-burn. Then food is a complete non-issue, and one less thing to go wrong. I've run 24 hour races on multiple occasions without eating.

The longer you go the more useful poles are. Whether this event is long enough for them is down to your own perceptions. But if you are going to use them, make sure you know how to use them effectively (and not stab anyone else with them preferably :) )

Good quality kit is always a good idea. That would be where I'd recommend you place the emphasis, especially if the weather becomes a bit too Irish!

I'll be doing a navigation course and have a map and compass etc, but glad to hear I won't be jumping into the deep end first time out in terms of navigating.

Paul who the man behind that company is a brilliant navigator and navigation teacher. He was also a superb hill runner in his competitive days. That's an excellent decision you've taken there. Being able to navigate for yourself opens up the whole world for exploration!

There's no right answer here. For hill ultras I'll usually have at least two pairs of shoes ready to go, one for dry weather, one for horrendous weather, and pick the right one before heading off. Shoes are individual as well. I have wide feet, so that errs me in some directions that wouldn't necessarily apply to people with narrow feet. But then, since I'm sponsored by Columbia, that's my biggest erring, since I get to pick and choose from their trail shoes (and sometimes test run for them)

For the KWU races I'd tend towards a middle of the road mixed terraine trail running shoe. Definitely not something too off-road.

I've ordered some SealSkinz waterproof socks to try out. I'm assuming it's going to be raining / wet on the day and planning for that. If it is wet, I'll be prepared, and if it's dry that will just be a bonus!

Do people plan to wear those shin protectors, I think they might be called Gators?

Go team!

No need for that style of Gaitors at all. They'd only be for when you're deep in wild terraine with lots of vegetation. I've ever only brought Gaitors to one race, and that race has notoriously harsh vegetation (or has that reputation anyway)

And to weigh in on the water proof shoes and socks debate...With good enough weather you'll be more than fine with neither.

I have been racing in wet conditions for decades, and have tried all sorts of things over the years in some fairly "interesting" conditions.

Waterproof socks... great for cycling. Terrible for running for elongated periods of time. The disadvantages that most people (wrongly) attribute to water proof shoes apply in spades here. My key finding with a few goes of using waterproof socks in 24 hour off road events was "trench foot" and "abrasion". Never again. Good thick mountaineering socks are my preference for long running events. You'd be fine with something lighter for the ultralite. But again, quality counts here big time.

Waterproof shoes.... Most people have this so so wrong. Used correctly they are my second favourite piece of gear (after a top quality fully waterproof jacket). One of their best features is that they do a vastly better job of keeping grit out of your shoes than non-waterproof shoes. And that can be the difference between finishing and not finishing. There are many other advantages beyond the obvious. But if the weather is bad, you need more than shoes, you need a system (leggings + ankle gaitors, to keep the water from seeping in from the top).

For the aid stations... how you handle them depends on your approach to the race. If you want to get as fast a time as possible then you need actively "race" the aid stations. If competitiveness is not so important then you can take a more leisurely approach, especially if you have personal support.

Wow, that's brilliant, thanks for all the advice there, really appreciate it!!

Plenty of food for thought and things to try on some training runs!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cona44

I have run in the UltraNite for the last two years so said I would pop up a few tips of my own in case they are useful to anyone.

KWU is very easy to navigate as long as you stay fairly clued in at turns. I wouldn't have any kind of navigation skills with maps etc but was able to make my way round handy enough. Did miss one or two turns but copped on quick enough. Some garmin watches allow you have the course on it which is what I used last year and it worked well. Ultimately I would trust technology faster than myself.

Footwear:
    KWU is not very technical at all. I have two pairs of shoes. Salmon Speedcross and Columbia Trans Alp FKT3. I would opt for the Columbias everytime as they are a shoe that are very similar to normal running shoes but with better grip and sole protection. The Speedcross are overkill as there isn't many places you need the grip that they excel at. Word of warning though, its worth having a spare pair of shoes/socks in Kenmare as the last climb up and down into Kenmare is a bog with no sleepers. If the weather is a bit wet you are guaranteed to get soaked there and a change is nice.

Other gear:
    A good running jacket is probably most significant. On both occasions I done KWU is was mild with no rain and I didnt really need a jacket. But I guess you have to be prepared for 4 seasons in Ireland. A light running jacket with layers underneath depending on weather would probably suit. I would always have a heavy rain coat in the transitions though because if the weather goes bad, its not worth freezing your ass off up the top of a mountain.
    In terms of running bags, I used the Salomon Adv Skin 12L which was perfect for carrying the mandatory kit and few other bit as well as flasks for drinking. No need for anything fancy though as I have previously used a 5euro pack from Tesco and it did much the same job.
    Socks, I personally don't stress socks at all. Id rather run in normal running socks and change as needed than getting some fancy things that are a bit of pain.

Food:
    Biggest tip is just to eat normal food. Dont go mad buying all the latest sports supplements and drinks online thinking they will be advantage. They wont. Just eat real food at an aid station and bring some sugary food with you for in between. I have seen fellas bent over ditches getting sick which they normally wont admit it, but its down to too much fancy crap that Killian Jornet or some other elite recommended.

Will probably think of more later, will post if I do. Hope to get down there myself again this year.

Cona44 wrote: »
    I have run in the UltraNite for the last two years so said I would pop up a few tips of my own in case they are useful to anyone...

That's brilliant, thanks!

• Advertisement

The mandatory kit list has waterproof leggings on it, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a suitable pair. I have a pair I use mountaineering but wouldn't be keen on lugging them for 55 odd K!

SomeFool wrote: »
    The mandatory kit list has waterproof leggings on it, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a suitable pair. I have a pair I use mountaineering but wouldn't be keen on lugging them for 55 odd K!

I picked up pair of the Regatta own brand ones in store. Cheap and functional. The only caveat is if something happened and they were needed you might regret not buying a better pair. I rolled them up good and tight and put two bits of duct tape on them to keep the amount of space used in the bag to a minimum.

Been keeping an eye out for a new pair of trail runners & spotted some Altra Timp 1.5's in my size on SportsPursuit for €84 this morning. Not the latest model but not like I need that. Hopefully will get to use them in Kerry & maybe at Run the Line in Dublin if it goes ahead this year.

How's everybody's training going. I neglected to run off road for nearly a month having previously made an effort to have one or two runs on mixed terrain until then. Bit of a shock going back off road! If anyone has a recommendation for a nice tail near Cork City I'm all ears!

Not really a trail although it almost is in parts but I quite like Nash's Boreen that leads from Fairhill to behind the Apple car park. I live in Shandon so get a ba*tard of a hill to get to the start of it & then it's undulating once you get there.

I did manage some walking on trails/roads/bog last week, got round the Dingle Way over 6 days. Wish the weather had been a bit better but such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

Enduro wrote: »
    Never again. Good thick mountaineering socks are my preference for long running events. You'd be fine with something lighter for the ultralite. But again, quality counts here big time..

Hey Enduro, would you have any sock recommendations for ultras? Curious about mountaineering socks. I would have presumed polyester is the best but these would be more wool right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Bazarelli

Hi there, delighted to find this thread. Kerry Way Ultra Lite will be my first ultra and really looking forward to it. Been running just over 2 years. I have the Donadea 50k coming up a few weeks before it too so can’t wait.

A Few questions. I love wearing brooks ghost so wondering if there is any suggestion for trail shoes with a similar feel to those?

Also, all my running is done in Phoenix park but I’m moving to Kildare this week. Around the newbridge area. Anyone know of good route for running in the area and the nearest hills/mountains I can head to to start training for elevation?

Thanks a mill.

I'd say the Brooks Cascadia might be worth a look if you like their shoes in general. Not sure how similar they would be to what you have but a good starting point anyway.

The Curragh is a lovely place to run. Plenty of trails to follow around the place over a very large area so a good bit of opportunity to mix up routes. And take a break from tarmac!

Best of luck in Kerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bazarelli

Great stuff, I'll take a look at those shoes and go from there!

I'll defo suss out the curragh so, I could do with some trails and softer ground.Thanks!

Unfortunately a hamstring injury has put me out of this ☹️

Volunteered to do some 'dot watching' instead so will hopefully see some great runs.

Best of luck everyone, also injured here so deferred until 2022.

Enjoy the run today, you're all winners for just making it to the start line!!

Hopefully see a few race reports (and tips for next year) in the coming days.

Good luck!!!!

• Advertisement

Hope everyone had a great day. From my afternoon of 'dot watching' I can say that the paths around Muckross caused problems for quite a few people with lots of diversions to the house & gardens. Only other place (that I was on duty for) was around the steps for Torc waterfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Oh my God, it was so frustrating! But, to be fair, the crew were saying they weren't allowed place additional markers around Muckross. So easy to get lost, I was wandering around the gardens for a fair bit before getting back on track. Left my good Inov-8 Stormshell there too :( Must have fallen out when rooting for my phone to look for the correct path.

Wonderful event though, did the night version, loved every minute of it

Registration for 2022 open now!!

See you all in Kerry ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

Anyone run this at the weekend? Conditions were horrid for those out there.

I took part in the ultralite that I deferred from last year. It was a bit on the wet side for sure! I was talking to a woman doing the ultranite at one stage & she said the night part was lovely as the rain only showed up on Sat during the day.

Yeah I did the UltraLite.

It was a fantastic day out and I'd definitely recommend it.

As you'd expect from a race in Ireland, it was all four seasons in the day. It started with nice weather, then there was a torrential downpour for about 2 or 3 hours.

I did a complete change of clothes at the Kenmare crew stop at 34k and it was lovely again for the rest of the race, I even got some sunburn on my neck.

The race took me 9 hours in total. The last 5k were very tough due to stomach issues from all the gels.

Great course, super well organised, would definitely recommend to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Advertisement