Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax Back

• 17-06-2021 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is a silly query but I cannot seem to find anything definitive online.

When I was a student (20+ years ago) and I was working for the summer, once I left employment I was able to claim back the tax I had paid.

Is this still a thing / possible?

The scenario is as follows. My wife has been working full time as a PAYE worker. We are finalising plans to build a house and once we drawdown the initial mortgage payment the intention is that she will leave her job and be a full time parent until the kids are both in school. All going well that will be in September 2023.

Can she claim for the tax she has paid for 2021?

She is currently earning a good salary so by the time she finishes up (probably August / September) she will have paid the guts of €20k in tax.

Are there any avenues for her to claim anything back once she leaves her job and gets her P45?

Another related question. I plan to take her tax credits once she leaves work. Would claiming any tax back (assuming this is possible) have any implications for her tax credits and / or me using them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yes.
    Submit a P21 balancing statement for each year.
    Revenue look back and see if everything works out.

It's easy. I do it every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

Any refund would be based on her unused credits.
    You can't claim unused credits if you then use them for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Happyhouse22

You can certainly claim tax back as Padre Pio describes above, remember though that all earnings over 35,000 are taxed at the higher rate - so she mightn’t be entitled to that much but should get something alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Make sure you are jointly assessed to allow the transfer of tax credits or bands between spouses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Another related question. I plan to take her tax credits once she leaves work. Would claiming any tax back (assuming this is possible) have any implications for her tax credits and / or me using them?

I'm going to try and explain this very simply. It may come out slightly condescending but sometimes it helps.

Everybody has tax credits.

They apply for the year but you get access to 1/12 of them every month.

Claiming tax back after you finish up work is using tax credits from portions of the year that you didn't work and didn't use your tax credits against your income.

If she gets tax back she is using her tax credits. Therefore you can't use them. Likewise if you use her tax credits she can't use them to claim back tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Can she claim for the tax she has paid for 2021?

if your wife gives up work in 2023, this will mean that you both may pay less tax in 2023.

There will be no tax rebate for 2021 because of giving up work in 2023

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

huskerdu wrote: »
    if your wife gives up work in 2023, this will mean that you both may pay less tax in 2023.

There will be no tax rebate for 2021 because of giving up work in 2023

The wording is ambiguous! I think that the poster meant "all going well" both kids would start school in September 2023!

Advertisement