Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Standardised Test Types

• 09-06-2021 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭

Are there 3 types of standardised tests available for both Reading and Maths in primary schools, Drumcondra, Micro and Sigma ?

Or is Drumcondra only for reading and Sigma only applies to Maths?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

There are 2 different companies providing standardised tests.

The ERC publish Drumcondra Reading and Drumcondra Mathematics.

Cjfallon publish Micra T (English) and Sigma T (Mathematics).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

Why would a school use Drumcondra for Reading and Sigma for Maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

josip wrote: »

It may just be a personal preference for the teacher or the school may have a policy of using one over the other.

The Drumcondra Reading gives more information that the Micra T. It gives a score in specific areas of literacy whereas the Micra T just gives one overall score. That may be the reason why they are using it over the Micra T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭big_drive

Up to every school to do what they like but in my opinion thats not a great way to do it.

Better to use one or the other for both. Having used them all to me the Drumcondra is better, probably slightly more difficult but gives better feedback of where a child is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

big_drive wrote: »
    Up to every school to do what they like but in my opinion thats not a great way to do it.

Better to use one or the other for both. Having used them all to me the Drumcondra is better, probably slightly more difficult but gives better feedback of where a child is.

Another parent with older kids told me that sometimes a school will choose Sigma over Drumcondra so that their pupils' percentiles are slightly better.
    Is there any basis in reality for that opinion?
    Are Micra/Sigma used by weaker schools?
    If a child score 6 in Sigma, will they score 5 in Drumcondra?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Another parent with older kids told me that sometimes a school will choose Sigma over Drumcondra so that their pupils' percentiles are slightly better.
    Drumcondra have updated maths and English tests to be more difficult. The 1st class tests only give standard scores, not STENs or percentiles, so that may be a factor in sticking with the Sigma, for uniformity of reporting of results. The STEN bands are relatively wide, a child might miss one question and appear to drop a " full sten" even though it might be a mark of a difference. so standard scores are more accurate. They do confuse some parents, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭big_drive

No i wouldn't say Micra/Sigma are used by weaker schools, it could be just thats what has always been used in a particular school and they stick with it

I have found the scores lower on Drumncondra maybe in line with the above, one lower. But thats not concrete either, depends on child.

The scores a school gets now form one of the criteria taken into account when allocating Support teachers to a school. So in reality the lower the scores the better it works out for a school and the pupils as there will be more supports given
    Its not exactly said but to me its the obvious reason why so many schools have switched to the Drumcondra test in past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Uboat

Hi,

I have a question: are parents allowed to see their child's Drumcondra test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Uboat wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a question: are parents allowed to see their child's Drumcondra test?

Yes I invited a parent in to look at their child's test at end of school year. They weren't allowed to remove it from school but could spend time looking through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Uboat

heldel00 wrote: »
    Yes I invited a parent in to look at their child's test at end of school year. They weren't allowed to remove it from school but could spend time looking through it.

Thank you!

We asked principal to see our son's test, this is his answer: "This is confidential information. None school gives out tests".

So what should I do now? I am thinking to contact Department of Education.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Thank you!

We asked principal to see our son's test, this is his answer: "This is confidential information. None school gives out tests".

Contacting the DES won’t get you any further , being honest . You can look at the test with a teacher, but you cannot get a copy or even take a photo .It’s stated in the test manuals that schools are not allowed to give the tests to any parent , which makes sense . If a test were shared , it would destroy the integrity of the standardisation.

Depending on the test , all you might see is a list of coloured in circles , as from 3rd up, the children don’t write in the booklets .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Thank you!

Why do you want to see it and what do you think it will achieve? I once facilitated a parent to come in and view a 4th class micra script and they left after 5 minutes saying that their child 'must be thick, a direct quote. They didn't see how the mistakes that their child had made are common place amongst that age group.

Advertisement