Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary school subbing- 5 day rule

• 12-06-2021 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,
    I’m studying BSc in education and training in Dcu and I’ve a lot of experience working with children and volunteering in primary schools.
    Ive also done placement teaching in a primary school as part of my course.

I’ve heard a lot of people talking about that you can sub under the 5 day rule. I’d love to get a few days subbing here and there , would a principal have me subbing even if I’m not studying the BEd degree.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭big_drive

Couldn't say for definite but i'd be doubtful enough. Would be a grey area around registration, garda vetting , etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭J.R.

You can apply to the Teaching Council to get registered.

If you have a Teaching Council number then you can sub.

A school principal is obliged to seek a fully qualified primary teacher for subbing.

If none are available then the principal can hire somebody with a Teaching Council number.

The "5-day Rule" will not apply to you if you have a Teaching Council number - only applies to those subbing who do not have a teaching council number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 BettyBlue22

@Simplyzara13 if you already have a degree you can register with the Teaching Council under route 3, and you'll be given a TC number (with restrictions) if you meet all the relevant requirements.

If you don't already have a degree, the 5 day rule will apply, but if you're studying, you'll hardly be available for weeks on end anyway, the 5 day rules means you just need to take a break of a day, so in a fortnight you could work Monday-Friday, take the next Monday off, and then work Tuesday-Friday the second week. If demand for subs is as high in the coming semester as it was in May, you should be able to get a few days work when you're available? Don't give up hope.

Advertisement