Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBT

Options
  • 14-06-2021 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hey guys, so probably a stupid question but I completed my IBT for A2 license just over 2 years ago and ended up not riding too much between then and now. My previous IBT and learner permit expired but I have renewed my learner permit now. I have to do the A license IBT now, do I have to re do all the modules over again including module 5 or is it just module 5?

Also I have my own bike now and it's possible to do IBT on your own bike but insurance said they won't insure me until I have IBT done again so I can't ride it over to do the training? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MaryKon

You can go the progression way only after you've had your full A2. Ring any instructor and see whether you need to renew A2 or can you just go and do the whole 2 days for cat. A.

We can all offer opinions but your safest bet is ringing a school/instructor. Either way, you'll be a student again. G'luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Aato wrote: »
    Hey guys, so probably a stupid question but I completed my IBT for A2 license just over 2 years ago and ended up not riding too much between then and now. My previous IBT and learner permit expired but I have renewed my learner permit now. I have to do the A license IBT now, do I have to re do all the modules over again including module 5 or is it just module 5?

Also I have my own bike now and it's possible to do IBT on your own bike but insurance said they won't insure me until I have IBT done again so I can't ride it over to do the training? Thanks in advance

Try Carole Nash, mate of mine was in the exact same scenario as you but he was on an A permit and IBT that expired. CN told him he had 30 days to complete his IBT (or I'm guessing here, possibly get booking confirmation given the delays).

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Aato wrote: »

You would only have to do module IBT module 5 for category 'A'

You cant use your own bike for IBT without valid insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Aato

zubair wrote: »
    Try Carole Nash, mate of mine was in the exact same scenario as you but he was on an A permit and IBT that expired. CN told him he had 30 days to complete his IBT (or I'm guessing here, possibly get booking confirmation given the delays).

Yes I have A permit now but expired IBT. My IBT is booked now in 2 weeks time, I will try CN because I'd like to do the IBT on my own bike of possible so I'd need insurance to ride it over there

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭slystallone

Has anyone ever gone down the road of trying to get a new IBT written out by the instructor without actually doing the course all over again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Unless you're good buddies with an instructor who'll do you a favour I'd say chances are slim as they get regular checks by the RSA. You're looking at doing a day course to re-assess you for Module 5 but if you're at least semi competent I would expect the instructor will do a good bit of pre-test prep as well like doing the routes and showing you the manoeuvres involved etc. to make it worthwhile. Still gonna cost you in the region of 300 quid though 😐️

Advertisement