Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

photoshop question

Options
  • 07-06-2021 4:54pm

Whenn i insert text like https://youtu.be/vBP6CRskq-w?t=370 to Photoshop and increase the size the text overlaps with the line above. I am copying from a word processing program with 1.5 spacing. Same happened when i copied from notepad

I am trying to put text over image like she is but i want solid colour behind the text

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

SoulWriter wrote: »
    Whenn i insert text like https://youtu.be/vBP6CRskq-w?t=370 to Photoshop and increase the size the text overlaps with the line above. I am copying from a word processing program with 1.5 spacing. Same happened when i copied from notepad

I am trying to put text over image like she is but i want solid colour behind the text

What are you copy pasting from another programme? Use a text layer and type you text, and open the properties panel which will give you very precise control over the line spacing. Use a separate shape layer for your colour background so you can edit independently of each other.

Myksyk wrote: »
    What are you copy pasting from another programme? Use a text layer and type you text, and open the properties panel which will give you very precise control over the line spacing. Use a separate shape layer for your colour background so you can edit independently of each other.
    it's long and i don't want to type it again. it seems to work for her.

EDIT I reset and it is OK up to size 14, after that it overlaps again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I don't use Photoshop, but looking at the video, it seems like the process is similar to my Serif DTP. In fact, the narrator on the video warns about "nasty things" happening to your text if you use the wrong tool.

From what you describe, it sounds like your line-height is not being adjusted as you increase the font size, which may stem from some residual formatting embedded in the C&P'ed data from the word-processor.

There's nothing wrong with C&Ping a large block of text, but if it's coming from a rich text editor, you would normally have - and should use - the option to paste without formatting. This strips out everything but the text itself, so that you can then use the [Photoshop] tools to their full extent.

EDIT I reset and it is OK up to size 14, after that it overlaps again

That makes sense. I'd paste as per celticrambler's suggestion. I'm presuming you have already created a text layer into which you are pasting.

Select the Text tool (T) and click the rightmost icon at the top which will open the character and paragraph controls.51233346805_e5c2f6e5ee_w.jpg

From there you can select any line spacing you want (you may need to select the text first).
    51233059504_a01504d36d_w.jpg

I don't use Photoshop, but looking at the video, it seems like the process is similar to my Serif DTP. In fact, the narrator on the video warns about "nasty things" happening to your text if you use the wrong tool.

From what you describe, it sounds like your line-height is not being adjusted as you increase the font size, which may stem from some residual formatting embedded in the C&P'ed data from the word-processor.

There's nothing wrong with C&Ping a large block of text, but if it's coming from a rich text editor, you would normally have - and should use - the option to paste without formatting. This strips out everything but the text itself, so that you can then use the [Photoshop] tools to their full extent.
    Thanks for that i tried pasting from notepad too, is there formatting innotepad. I was originally pasting from writer, the openoffice word processor. i didn't know about paste without formatting
    The narrator on the video warns about "nasty things" happening to your text if you use the wrong tool.
    Yes I heard that

• Advertisement

Myksyk wrote: »
    That makes sense. I'd paste as per celticrambler's suggestion. I'm presuming you have already created a text layer into which you are pasting.

Select the Text tool (T) and click the rightmost icon at the top which will open the character and paragraph controls.51233346805_e5c2f6e5ee_w.jpg

From there you can select any line spacing you want (you may need to select the text first).
    51233059504_a01504d36d_w.jpg
    Thanks for that, I will check it out. Yes I was making a text layer

EDIT: yes worked.

Thanks for that, I will check it out. Yes I was making a text layer

EDIT: yes worked.

Good stuff. Btw, rather than choose a drop down option either scrub to the right or write an exact number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

SoulWriter wrote:

If you don't want any formatting from the program is being copied to the clipboard from to follow the text, choose "paste> as plain text" from within the edit menu.
    Alternately, paste it into a simple text editor like notepad, Kate, simpletext etc, then copy it into the clipboard from that app and paste it into your text box in PS.

Heebie wrote: »
    If you don't want any formatting from the program is being copied to the clipboard from to follow the text, choose "paste> as plain text" from within the edit menu.
    Alternately, paste it into a simple text editor like notepad, Kate, simpletext etc, then copy it into the clipboard from that app and paste it into your text box in PS.
    OK thanks.

Advertisement