Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Lang

Options
  • 11-10-2020 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Is Barry Lang still a pilot?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Yes, with Emirates

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Yes, with Emirates

He posted on his facebook a few months back that he was a victim of the worldwide slowdown of aviation due to covid and emirates grounding of the A380. Also stated that he was a few months off retiring in October anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Who is Barry Lang?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Who is Barry Lang?

A former 2FM DJ who became a pilot quite some time ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Could he have started with Transaer? I seem to remember him flying us (well 150 odd of us) on holidays once back in the 90's

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Who is Barry Lang?
    cml387 wrote: »
    Could he have started with Transaer? I seem to remember him flying us (well 150 odd of us) on holidays once back in the 90's

Both questions answered in this article from 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

A damm good DJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

I wonder if he'll comeback to radio now that he appears to be retiring this month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

A blast from the past.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bsal wrote: »
    I wonder if he'll comeback to radio now that he appears to be retiring this month :)

Radio industry is exceptionally crowded with names now, reducing number of actual presented shows and music radio is not a fun place to be >50 (or >35 if female tbh).

It'd be a coup for someone like 4FM or Nova to get him in though; 96fm in Cork got Bibi Baskin back for a bit to huge media coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

L1011 wrote: »
    Radio industry is exceptionally crowded with names now, reducing number of actual presented shows and music radio is not a fun place to be >50 (or >35 if female tbh).

It'd be a coup for someone like 4FM or Nova to get him in though; 96fm in Cork got Bibi Baskin back for a bit to huge media coverage.

Yeah pop radio really does seem to be no country for old men these days. That plus the apparent preference for DJ duos rather than individuals would probably limit his options to the classic hit stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭3d4life

john boye wrote: »
    ..... plus the apparent preference for DJ duos rather than individuals....

The first duo that came to my mind was Bob Gallico & Declan Meehan :D

So This is what old age is :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

3d4life wrote: »
    The first duo that came to my mind was Bob Gallico & Declan Meehan :D

So This is what old age is :P

The most iconic duo for me is still Smashie and Nicey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

He knows his way around a camera too https://500px.com/p/Barry340

A coup to get someone that hasn't been on air for over 20 years is a bit of a stretch.

A coup to get someone that hasn't been on air for over 20 years is a bit of a stretch.

Same time gap applied for Bibi Baskin

Same time gap applied for Bibi Baskin

That wasn't a coup either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I remember him as Barry Deans, doing drivetime on Radio Dublin in 1979. If the fading memory serves me right, he then jumped ship to Big D. I have his last prog for Radio Dublin on tape somewhere. Those were the days when RD was dominant, with DJ Lee in early afternoon, Barry Deans on drivetime and Mike Eastwood or Pat Gill on early evening. This was shortly before Robbie and Chris arrived to set up Sunshine, and everything changed after that.

2FM did a great tribute prog on his final day there... Ian Dempsey hijacked his show from another studio and had a right anorak fest - they even played 'Man of Action'.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

There was a request for him on Ronan Collins show on Friday. He played Jigsaw Sky High for him. Said he was back in Ireland and was self iosolating in Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

He's on Classic Hits these days!

• Advertisement
Advertisement