Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What next for Canelo

Options
  • 10-05-2021 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Does he stay and clean up the SMW division?

Caleb Plant has the IBF belt but won't provide any resistance. Maybe a fight against Benevidez would sell in the latin market.

Canelo beats Eubank Junior all day long and twice on Sunday but I want to see that fight.

Don't think Eubank would quit like Saunders did, would be interesting to see how he deals with the pressure Canelo would bring.

Hes not that good in fairness, but I remember he came on strong in the second half of the Saunders fight. He has stamina I will give him that.

Maybe Charlo at middleweight? He would no doubt seek that GGG move up to SMW if they were to fight again

Or does he go up to light heavyweight again?

The one I really want to see now is Canelo v Artur Beterbiev. Very risky fight.

He should make a run at cruiserweight and heavyweight for the laugh (joking)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    He should make a run at cruiserweight and heavyweight for the laugh (joking)

Funny, I was only thinking this the other day

He is a career boxer. He loves training and boxing

Where does he go if he keeps winning? Stay around at 168-175? Meeting new challenges....

CW and HW he is juts not near big enough......too short more than anything....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Who was the guy in the t-shirt that said something like Canelo and Billy afraid to fight the best?

Who was the guy in the t-shirt that said something like Canelo and Billy afraid to fight the best?

Demetrius Andrade, WBO Middleweight Champion.

30-0 but has fought nobody. Might even be one or two Boardsies among the 30.

Demetrius Andrade, WBO Middleweight Champion.

30-0 but has fought nobody. Might even be one or two Boardsies among the 30.

Cheers, I'll look him up.

Cheers, I'll look him up.

He’s real box office, that lad!

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    He’s real box office, that lad!

Canelo really dismissed him at the post fight interview, thought Canelo was all serious but he was having a great time telling Andrade to "get the f**k out of here".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Jaime Munguia should come up to SMW, he’s 6 foot tall and has good hands. Had a close bout with Denis Hogan though which affects my appraisal of him. Would like to see him thrown in with Canelo all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

He should unify the belts at 168lbs by beating Plant if he can get that setup as his next fight, might as well seal his legacy even more before deciding what "after".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Plant should be next and should play out quite similarly to the Saunders fight really.

I reckon a Eubank fight might be likely next year. Think Sky are going to get behind Eubank and try make a star out of him now they've lost the rights to Matchroom shows. Wouldn't be surprised if he's built towards a big money Canelo fight. He wouldn't win but I wouldn't mind seeing it tbh. You know Eubank is as tough as they come and would meet Canelo in the centre of the ring and give it a good go. Would be a fun fight while it lasts.

Beterbiev is the main fight that could be a potential banana skin. Canelo would definitely have to resort to boxing on the back foot and his gas tank should be tested to its limit quite like the GGG 1 fight. Part of me does wonder if Canelo might fancy that fight to a degree though. Beterbiev can be hit and hurt. Wouldn't be surprised if Canelo thinks he can knock him out as mad as that might sound on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Morrison J wrote: »
    Plant should be next and should play out quite similarly to the Saunders fight really.

I reckon a Eubank fight might be likely next year. Think Sky are going to get behind Eubank and try make a star out of him now they've lost the rights to Matchroom shows. Wouldn't be surprised if he's built towards a big money Canelo fight. He wouldn't win but I wouldn't mind seeing it tbh. You know Eubank is as tough as they come and would meet Canelo in the centre of the ring and give it a good go. Would be a fun fight while it lasts.

Beterbiev is the main fight that could be a potential banana skin. Canelo would definitely have to resort to boxing on the back foot and his gas tank should be tested to its limit quite like the GGG 1 fight. Part of me does wonder if Canelo might fancy that fight to a degree though. Beterbiev can be hit and hurt. Wouldn't be surprised if Canelo thinks he can knock him out as mad as that might sound on paper.

Until Beterbiev's last fight I thought he'd be too strong, too relentless, but I thought he looked quite poor there. Bearing in mind he is 36/37 and has a style that's more suited to a younger man, I think Canelo could actually take him.

As you said Beterbiev can be hit and hurt and Canelo is as accurate as anybody in the game and seems to be hitting harder than ever, so the physical disadvantages can be negated.

I certainly don't think it would be easy, but I can see either a late stoppage for Canelo, where Beterbiev is just walking into too many shots or a reasonably close UD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

megadodge wrote: »
    Until Beterbiev's last fight I thought he'd be too strong, too relentless, but I thought he looked quite poor there. Bearing in mind he is 36/37 and has a style that's more suited to a younger man, I think Canelo could actually take him.

As you said Beterbiev can be hit and hurt and Canelo is as accurate as anybody in the game and seems to be hitting harder than ever, so the physical disadvantages can be negated.

I certainly don't think it would be easy, but I can see either a late stoppage for Canelo, where Beterbiev is just walking into too many shots or a reasonably close UD.

Yeah wasn't impressive last time out. Hard to know if it was ring rust, lack of motivation or his age catching up on him. Probably a combination of each. Struggle to believe he's slid completely off a cliff though given that brilliant Gvozdyk performance isn't that long ago. What a violent throwback of a fight that one was.

Think come the time the Canelo fight is a realistic possibility in mid to late 2022 at the earliest there's a good chance Canelo might just be getting him at the right time. Plenty of miles on the clock from the amateurs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Canelo really dismissed him at the post fight interview, thought Canelo was all serious but he was having a great time telling Andrade to "get the f**k out of here".

And the exchange started off ok until Andrade senior butted in. Before the fight there is coverage of Canelo warmly greeting Andrade so the latter was taking advantage of more cameras and trying to share the limelight. But as Canelo said he has fought nobody so cant see that happening.

Good question as to what is next really. He has already gone up to defeat Kovalev but up is only realistic choice when he unifies this division.

Andrade, who has fought nobody worth a damn, and who struggled vs Liam Williams, probably lasts 5 rds tops v Canelo. 8-10 rounds if he runs!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Easy for him next few years.

I don't usually contribute much to the boxing discussions on here and am surprised no one has started a thread for the Canelo vs Plant fight that is coming on Nov 6th.

Did anyone else see there face off? Canelo said that Plant said something about his mother and pushed him in the chest, Plant came back over and tried to throw a half jab left hook which Canelo dodged and throw a left hook of his own and then the usual scuffle.

Plant with a cut under his eye and we'll see if anything comes of the scuffle. But, I will say, round 1 to Canelo.

Advertisement