Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance learning with open college

Options
  • 24-03-2021 6:50pm

Ok so after some time... I've decided to get back into education. Unfortunately I missed the deadline for CAO for the courses I'm interested in.

Has anyone had and luck with distance learning? I looked at open university first but their prices seemed mental. So I looked at the Open College but the courses are for minor awards.

If I'm correct; to achieve a full level 5 award you need 120 credits?

I'm interested in the creative writing and journalism courses but they are modules; 15 credits each. Would these even be worth doing? 🀔

Has anyone had any experience with Open College and distance learning?

Has anyone attended any other courses either online or in an actual place, related to print journalism or creative writing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 AssGard

Good morning, I'm thinking in the same direction as you - Creative Writing.
    The OU course Module A215 Creative Writing runs from October to June and costs a whopping €3600. I'm not even sure what you get at the conclusion apart from 60 credits and not having studied with OU previously, not sure how valuable these are.

At the moment the only think that is holding me back from registering is the cost. When I came across it first without knowing the cost, I guestimated that at very most it would cost €1500, obviously I was somewhat deluded.

Has anyone here taken A215? Can anyone explain to me what is is so expensive.

To put the cost in context, for €1400 more (i.e. €6000) you can do a Masters in Creative Writing in UCC.

My goal having studied Creative Writing is to have something recognised "on paper" to show I'm qualified and have put the effort in.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Advertisement