Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Engineer - Neighbour Issues

Options
  • 13-02-2021 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi all,

We are having issues with our neighbour for the last 2 years where she bangs very loudly on the wall in the middle of the night waking us up.

A lot of other issues going on but this is one I would like to start recording as to help build a case.

So where better to ask than those who are experts in the business of sound recording!!

Would you recommend any app I could use on my laptop to record this type of noise? Or would you recommend by a specific piece of equipment?

Also would you know of any sound engineers that actually do some work in this area?

Apologies for the forum I am putting this up in but any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

What you need is a qualified environmental noise expert. No one else's evidence is acceptable in court anymore. It requires sensitive monitoring and logging equipment and the knowledge to analyse that data and present it as part of a legal case or complaint.

Google 'environmental noise expert' and you'll see listings of companies who do this. Be aware that it's a very expensive process. It may be worth consulting your council, citizen's advice centre etc first for other options. It's not a simple thing to prove. I've been involved in this process a few times.

Best of luck ~

g

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

No sound engineering advice unfortunately but just to say we have the exact same problem with our (87-year-old!) neighbour. According to her daughter, she has tinnitus and thinks we are running heavy machinery 24 hours a day. She has also called the guards on us a couple of times. Personally I think it is the onset of dementia but the family don't want to accept it.

Are there family members of the woman you can call? We ring/text the woman's daughter, in the middle of the night if necessary. I've also started keeping a list of the dates and times she is banging.
    I don't really think there is much we can do about it tbh. You have my sympathies!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

The advice so far is sound, and I went through noise nuisance like this so you have my sympathies.

Your own experience can be useful in court, so you should write down each incident in a diary: the time and date, how long it lasted, and what the disturbance consisted of. I used Google Calendar and made entries with a keyword—i was then able to search my calendar and retrieve every incident with date, time description and print it out as a document when I went into court. If you're under oath and relating your first-person account to a judge, it does carry weight, and, I found that judges like accuracy and veracity. Since the noise perpetrator was lying all of the time, and my side was telling the truth, the judge ruled against this man and he had to stop making noise. My testimony was integral to this success in court, and no measurements were taken in my apt.

Advertisement