Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner drivers accompaniment.

Options
  • 16-02-2019 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I’m insured as a learner driver on my mums car but can my brother who has a full licence of 8 years accompany me if he isn’t insured on the car?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I’m insured as a learner driver on my mums car but can my brother who has a full licence of 8 years accompany me if he isn’t insured on the car?

Yep, he can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

I believe yes. As long as they have a full licence over two years they're free to join you. I've had uncles drive with me when I was a learner who weren't insured on my Mam's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Simple answer, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If you are on the Aviva accompanied driver scheme, the accompanying driver must be the policyholder or named driver on that policy. Check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

But how does that work. Is the idea not that the fully licenced driver can take over, if there's a problem? They couldn't do this if they weren't insured

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

But how does that work. Is the idea not that the fully licenced driver can take over, if there's a problem? They couldn't do this if they weren't insured

What do you mean by 'take over'? This is an ordinary car with no dual control.

The rule about being accompanied is about supervision, not grabbing the wheel if something happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

By "take over" I think he mean to replace the driver if there is a problem and the full licensed person must drive home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

If the legislation is interpreted the same way here as in the UK then no.

The accompanying driver must be able to assume driving responsibility of the vehicles. Therefor they must

- Have a Full Licence for the required number of years
    - Be of the minimum required age
    - Be insured
    - Be free from the influence of drugs/alcohol
    - Be physically able to drive. (not in a cast or whatever)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

coylemj wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'take over'? This is an ordinary car with no dual control.

The rule about being accompanied is about supervision, not grabbing the wheel if something happens.

Yep..I didn't mean that...I meant as biko and tomtom said

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

biko wrote: »
    By "take over" I think he mean to replace the driver if there is a problem and the full licensed person must drive home.

Is that a legal requirement here, i.e. that the accompanying driver must be in a position to legally drive the car?

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    Is that a legal requirement here, i.e. that the accompanying driver must be in a position to legally drive the car?

No, it is not. The accompanying driver must hold a full licence covering that class of vehicle (I think for at least two years) but is not obliged to be insured to drive the car.

So if the learner becomes incapacitated for any reason, it's possible that they could be stranded because the accompanying driver is not able to legally drive the car for want of insurance.

coylemj wrote: »
    No, it is not. The accompanying driver must hold a full licence covering that class of vehicle (I think for at least two years) but is not obliged to be insured to drive the car.

So if the learner becomes incapacitated for any reason, it's possible that they could be stranded because the accompanying driver is not able to legally drive the car for want of insurance.

As I thought. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Edit: Post deleted. Read it wrong.

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    The accompanying driver must be able to assume driving responsibility of the vehicles. Therefor they must

- Have a Full Licence for the required number of years
    - Be of the minimum required age
    - Be insured
    - Be free from the influence of drugs/alcohol
    - Be physically able to drive. (not in a cast or whatever)

'Assume driving responsibility' - you mean be able to legally drive the car? There is no such requirement in Irish law.

Only the driver requires insurance cover. Where a Garda comes across a learner driver with someone sitting in the front seat, the Garda can demand the production of a driving licence from that person (the passenger) but there is no scenario where anyone other than the driver or the owner of the car can be asked to produce a certificate of insurance.

The only reason this situation is ever mentioned is that a lot of motor policies state as a condition that any learner covered to drive the car must be accompanied by a person holding a full licence. No policy that I have ever read states that such person is also required to be insured to drive the car.

And if the person accompanying a learner driver required insurance cover, that would surely be mentioned (it's not) on the RSA webage covering the requirements for people driving on a learner permit....

Driving alone:

You can’t be alone in the vehicle when driving, regardless of how long you have been driving and how many learner permits you have held. And the person who’s with you must hold a full driving licence for the category of vehicle you are driving for a continuous period of 2 years.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Safe-Driving1/Safety-for-Permit-Holders/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

I think I read recently that the accompanying driver doesn't even need to be sober in Ireland. Is that correct?

seagull wrote: »
    I think I read recently that the accompanying driver doesn't even need to be sober in Ireland. Is that correct?

No, it isn't. The same DUI rules apply to an accompanying driver as to an actual driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

jimgoose wrote:
    No, it isn't. The same DUI rules apply to an accompanying driver as to an actual driver.

Can you provide a reference for this statement.

Advertisement