Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Bamboo cheapest place to buy in Dublin

Options
  • 14-02-2019 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi

I need to buy 12 of these to put against wall - the local nursery can sell me each plant for 35 euro - is there any place I could get cheaper as 12 x 35 works out expensive. Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭highdef

When I was buying about 20 plants for make a bamboo hedge about 8 years ago, I got tiny little reject plants in B&Q in Liffey Valley, for about €4 each. It meant an extra couple of years before they reached the height and thickness I wanted them to be but the hedge cost me less than €100. If I had gone with the larger full priced plants, I would have had to fork out about ten times as much money, for the sake of not having to wait two extra years for growth.

So if you have patience, try get your hands on some tiny plants at knock down prices. This year I am beginning to divide parts of the original hedge as I want to make another hedge in a different garden. This time round, the hedge will cost me €0 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Buy a few with lots of stems and roots and divide them. They divide very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

Hi So I need to but 12 plants for the space I'm planting - if I bought 6 and divide each plant in two - would it work ? I know they . not look as full - but will surely fill out in 2 or 3 years.

Anybody tried this ? Or what do you think of idea ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Yes, it will work. i have done this with container plants and they filled out. Bamboo put out new canes every year. Now is probably the best to divide them. Remember to keep bamboo well watered and do not go for the running varieties if you are planting in the ground.

Advertisement