Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blatant Third Level Masandry

Options
  • 12-02-2019 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭

I received a college email which has annoyed me. The email was in relation to final year drama students and 2 plays they would be performing in a very well known theatre.

The description of the first play reads "explosive play uses black humour, music and dance to explore the double standards of male and female sexuality and the devastating way in which social media can affect peoples perceptions of themselves and others and asks uncomfortable questions about gender roles and feminism in the Facebook age".

I expected a topic like the above, because it festers throughout third level campuses around the western world in recent years, but I would have hoped to see a balancing with the use of the send play, or a neutral play, but the second play description reads "The last of the candidates has just left the room, the clock is ticking, and there is a train to catch. An all-male panel must decide who to appoint but what is really motivating them and whos agenda will prevail when choosing the successful applicant? In the course of this dark comedy, a panel of unreconstructed men reveal their own deeply sexist attitudes as they debate the short comings of a series of women candidates."

Aside from what I believe will be nothing but pro women bashing men, the entire system seems to be eared toward promoting women ahead of men in education. There are several women only meetings, work-shops and mentor-ship programs, but nothing of the sort for the males. I am seriously considering making a formal complaint and calling discrimination after all I have seen, but I doubt it would achieve more than a tokenistic response from management.

What do you think about these play descriptions? What sort of message are they sending to young men and women?

Stay Free

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

This is going on all over, in my local school, the first class put on a Christmas play as they do every year, they put on Christmas Carol this year, with an all female cast...the boys weren't good enough I'm told...these are 7 year old kids...it is a shame the female empowerment movement has been reduced to a male disempowerment movement, if you feel strongly about it you should complain, many of these participants don't realise what they are doing wrong...they have just gotten sucked into toxic group think...it happens all of us at some stage!

This culture has done damage to the Comedy, Movies, Video Games culture to the tune of tens of billions of dollars...it is a wrecking ball, not a creative or intellectual culture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1 on complaining about it. Nothing will change unless men and women do complain about it. And don't be shouted down by the minority of muppets who will shout you down. Not when it's your kids, both boys and girls who are being exposed to this busted flush politic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

This is going on all over, in my local school, the first class put on a Christmas play as they do every year, they put on Christmas Carol this year, with an all female cast...the boys weren't good enough I'm told...these are 7 year old kids....

Isn't the point of going to school to teach us how to be "good enough"? This is outrageous ...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

final year drama students should be putting on a play about their future careers.............. in McDonalds

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It’s probably worthwhile not going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What do you think about these play descriptions? What sort of message are they sending to young men and women?

I had to look up half the words used in those play descriptions, and the message they appear to be sending to young men and women is it’s probably best to save yourself the admission fee if you’re not already familiar with the rhetoric being used. My favourite of the whole lot was “unreconstructed”, it sounds like an oxymoron, but what do I know?

Unreconstructed: not reconciled or converted to the current political theory or movement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I had to look up half the words used in those play descriptions, and the message they appear to be sending to young men and women is it’s probably best to save yourself the admission fee if you’re not already familiar with the rhetoric being used. My favourite of the whole lot was “unreconstructed”, it sounds like an oxymoron, but what do I know?

Unreconstructed: not reconciled or converted to the current political theory or movement

Yep, in other words characters that fit specifically into the narrative - a group of men going "sure a woman can't...". I'd bet there'll be a part where the "all male panel" will discuss the merit of candidate X being "hot".

It really IS an oxymoron, in the circumstance...

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1 on complaining about it. Nothing will change unless men and women do complain about it. And don't be shouted down by the minority of muppets who will shout you down. Not when it's your kids, both boys and girls who are being exposed to this busted flush politic.

Problem is, they're not a minority anymore and they play with the strength of "accepted consensus" enabling them. It really is no different from Fascism or Maccartism; Anyone who didn't think Mussolini to be the best thing since sliced bread was a "traitor", anyone with a bit of criticism towards the Capitalist system was a "Communist". Now, if you have any issues with the "accepted progressive Feminist dogma", you're a "Far right conservative". I've started seeing this seep out of the online cesspits and in live discussions, which is the horrifying bit.

Advertisement