Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling's Mount Rushmore

Options
  • 11-02-2019 7:16pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In the green fields of Connecticut, a certain member of Trump's cabinet has siphoned off funds initially intended to build some type of... wall? barrier? Who knows ;)

A sculptor has been commissioned and permission has been granted to finally craft...

presidential-jerky.jpg

Wrestling's Mount Rushmore!

This monument will be there for all time, and to make it a little different, a little trendier than some fuddy duddy presidents, the sculptor is looking for the names of 5 of wrestling's greatest to craft their mugs onto the massive structure, to stare out on any visiting.

So PW Boardsies....

Who do you want on the monument?

(Apologies if this has been done before but it's been going round and round in my head the past week or so :pac: )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I’d be cool with the above but to be honest Vince McMahon has to be the first person on any kind of “Wrestling Mount Rushmore”.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hogan, Rock and Austin are locks in my eyes. After them it's up in the air.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Vince has to be there.Hogan and Austin too.

After that it's a free for all, Flair, Rock, Sting, Cena, Andre, Sammartino all options.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Hogan, Flair, Austin, Vince

Without those 4, who knows what wrestling would be today

If it's wrestlers only, then only Rock, Cena and Bruno Sammartino would be up to scratch. Guys like Bret Hart, HHH and HBK while fantastic and leaders in their time, just fall foul of influencing the future of the business as much as the others, although HHH could end up there in 20 years if he ends up running things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Necro wrote: »
    This monument will be there for all time, and to make it a little different, a little trendier than some fuddy duddy presidents.

Wrestling isn't trendy, what ever gave you that idea?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Effects wrote: »
    Wrestling isn't trendy, what ever gave you that idea?

Made you post in here though didn't it :D

If we're talking a Global Impact (pun not intended), then Santo, Baba, Andre and Hogan?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Ruat Caelum

Hogan, Austin, Cena, and Vince McMahon.

Each of those wrestlers defined their respective eras. Hogan led the 80s boom, making WWF and himself household names. Austin found his popularity when WWF was (apparently) on it's way out and helped turn it into a billion dollar company. Cena has been at the top of the WWE for well over a decade, and has completely dominated the industry.

Vince because he's the man behind them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ventura, Savage, Chyna & Punk.

• Advertisement

I think Flair has to be on it for the impact he had on the business in the years after

Cena’s long term impact on the business teaches WWE to stick with their guy despite crowd reaction, his overall impact on the business is nowhere near Flairs imo despite being the face of his era

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Personally I'd be looking at Vince, Hogan, Austin and Rock myself.

All 4 are cultural icons, Rock transcended the business to become one of Hollywood's main lights (like or hate his movies).

For number 5 then (yes, I said 5 in the OP :P ) it would be difficult. Cena, Flair, Bruno all have equal claim.

I think I might put Andre there ahead of all 3 though, controversial as it may be. Again, another that had a reach outside of just the rasslin scene.

Guys like Taker, HHH and HBK etc. were fantastic but didn't have as much impact as the guys above them.

Rocks a weird one because so much of his influence even today comes from 15 years in Hollywood, not wrestling

His impact there has obviously opened doors for the likes of Cena and Batista, but for the 6/7 years he was full time he wasnt as good as Flair who was better for longer and his strictly wrestling impact is above Rocks

For me anyway and what I would take into factor for a wrestling Mount Rushmore, what he’s done in Hollywood is for the most part irrelevant

Billy Graham?

No Graham means no Ventura, which means no Hogan, which means no WWF pretty much?

brianblaze wrote: »
    Billy Graham?

No Graham means no Ventura, which means no Hogan, which means no WWF pretty much?

Then also Gorgeous George, because no him, no Graham

I've heard his discussion being held before. It's funny how Taker generally never gets a mention.

I suppose you'd overestimate his longetivty. Hogan probably had a career that spanned the same amount of eras as Taker give or take 5/6 years.

Takers always been fantastic, but never ‘the guy’

He’s probably in everybodys top 10 but very few top 5s, there’s just better than him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd like to see Curry Man and KeMonito up there for sure. Don't care who the other two are.

Would make you think. The Rock is so far beyond being a wrestler at this stage. It almost seems like a different person when you see older clips,

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Rocks a weird one because so much of his influence even today comes from 15 years in Hollywood, not wrestling

His impact there has obviously opened doors for the likes of Cena and Batista, but for the 6/7 years he was full time he wasnt as good as Flair who was better for longer and his strictly wrestling impact is above Rocks

For me anyway and what I would take into factor for a wrestling Mount Rushmore, what he’s done in Hollywood is for the most part irrelevant

Disagree with all of this.

Rock influenced an entire generation. The WWE have spent the past two decades giving their talent Rock-like material and twenty minute promo time in an attempt to do what he did only to discover it will almost always never work. Take a skit like 'This is Your Life' which Rock made work but which would have been absolutely atrocious with the modern guys like Elias involved, yet they keep plugging away and trying it with their roster.

As for not being as good as Flair, I would disagree again. Rock brought millions of eyeballs to the company with his charisma which Flair, as great as he was, could not do to a comparable degree. Flair's peak years were the territory days; his WWF run was nothing special.

And what Rock's done in Hollywood is very relevant because he transcended the business in a way no one else has managed to do. He's actually tapped into a level of fame that is beyond wrestling and has moved into the Arnie, Stallone, Willis bracket which is a hell of a feat.

I would argue out of Hogan, Austin and Rock that Austin is actually the more debatable inclusion, even though I'd have all of them on my mountain. I reckon if you asked 100 people randomly on the street who of the three they know best, that Hogan and Rock would score respectably while Austin would be least well known.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement

Flair's peak was when wrestling was an entirely different business model, it took Vince to turn it into something different, his WWF run wasn't great because he was mishandled and he'd already had his peak run and done his peak thing

Flair's influence turned into something that allowed others to shine, probably wouldn't have even seen The Rock without Flair in fact

Rock also came up at a time when wrestling was at its peak, Rock wasnt the catalyst for it - Austin was, but Rock was an amazing 2nd best at that time and kept up the interest in WWF and did hold the top role well during Austins time out, but Austin was still number 1 when he returned

You're probably right about more people knowing about The Rock over Austin, but thats more down to his Hollywood exploits not his wrestling exploits, which are what matter for my theoretical Mt Rushmore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I really dont think rock belongs on it as i feel you should only pick one from the same era and austin in terms of wrestling was the bigger star.

so my wwe one would be Vince, Hogan, Austin, Cena

Probaley should be bruno instead of vince but i just feel you kinda have to fit vince in there and ive never seen bruno so vince gets it.

edge and christian did a great podcast on this a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Hogan, Vince, Rock and Austin.

Cena over the Rock? No chance, Cena has never been anywhere near peak 2000 Rock.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Bruno Sammartino, Rick Flair, Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin

that said I very much so understand the argument for Vince, The Rock & Cena

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭dusty bin

someone put this on the actual Mount Rushmore wikie page:

The WWE had their own version of Mount Rushmore consisting of the best wrestlers in the company's history. The ones sculpted into the mountain are The Undertaker, Steve Austin, John Cena, and Hulk Hogan.

Austin and Hogan definitely. Bruno possibly, then Vince.

Dont think two from a similiar era would work, hence leaving out the Rock and Andre. No-one after Austin/Rock deserves it, although ifs its not built yet, becky still has time to start a legacy.c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Chris Benoit, Jimmy Snuka, The Fabulous Moolah, Jose Gonzalez

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

It's really difficult to narrow it down to 4.
    If it's just wrestlers then Vince misses out, Bobby Heenan too.
    Huge argument for Gorgeous George, he changed the game for heels, and the industry as a whole. Even Muhammad Ali took notice of him.
    Bruno ran the show for so long, and stayed at the very top.
    Hogan is a cert.
    Flair ran the south, and for me is the greatest of all time.
    Austin was on top when business was booming, the catalyst for his generation.
    Taker was a company man, easily one of the all time greats.
    Cena likewise, for me the longevity of his run would have him ahead of Austin.
    Don't know enough about other mega stars from around the world, plus would seem a bit off putting international stars on an American monument, so I'll leave them out.

Guys like The Rock, Sting, Hbk, Bret Hart, Macho Man and Andre all notable mentions. Plus Billy Graham, as somebody else without him there's no Hulkster.

So going with Hogan, Flair, Cena, Gorgeous George.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I saw an article about it and reminded me of this thread.
    The Rock submitted his.

https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/1200222001048064000

Vince, Bruno, Hogan, Austin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar

It's much easier for me to do a WWE Rushmore than a general pro wrestling one. For WWE, I'd have to go Hogan, Austin, Rock and Cena w/ Sammartino being an alternate. nazmoalex and brianblaze's rationale is pretty solid.

Advertisement