Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting link removed from strap

Options
  • 07-02-2019 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭

I was charged €15 euro I'm sure I was robbed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

torrevieja wrote: »

that all depends.
    1. did you shop around? if you went to the first shop that could do the task, then you were not robbed, you made a decision that the cost was so low that it was not worth your time to shop around.

2. Do you have the skills & tools to do it yourself? If not, you're paying for those skills, knowledge and time. this saved you buying tools & time to perform the task yourself. Its really down to you to decide that was worth 15 euro to you.

I've always done it myself, it's not exactly rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    that all depends.
    1. did you shop around? if you went to the first shop that could do the task, then you were not robbed, you made a decision that the cost was so low that it was not worth your time to shop around.

2. Do you have the skills & tools to do it yourself? If not, you're paying for those skills, knowledge and time. this saved you buying tools & time to perform the task yourself. Its really down to you to decide that was worth 15 euro to you.

Even without meeting the criteria of point 2, €15 is a rip off for what is at most a 5 minute job.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

It seems expensive but i cant understand why anyone would not ask how much it costs beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

funkyouup wrote: »
    It seems expensive but i cant understand why anyone would not ask how much it costs beforehand.
    depends. My heat reclaim system packed it in a month ago.
    Big house, baby, no heat.
    Called the plumber who thankfully had time for an emergency callout.

Turned out to be a tiny ceramic washer that cracked, took him 5 mins to fix it.
    50 quid.
    Did he do 50 quid work?
    Well, he knew how to quickly diagnose the problem.
    He had a 5 cent ceramic washer in his van.
    He had the tools on hand to change it.

If i was to fix it it could take me hours to find the issue if im really lucky.
    Sourcing the correct washer would be an hour or two to visit hardware stores to find the right part.
    I also dont have a wrench big enough for the job.
    All while i have a house & baby getting cold

Worth 50 quid to me. Id have probably paid him double that for his 5 mins work.

In this case, if torrevieja didnt check the price beforehand and shop around then he made a call in the moment & decided the job was worth the price, at least at the time. The guy didnt hold him at gun point on entering the shop and force him to pay 15 quid to have the bracelet resized after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

A plumber will charge you for an hours labour, usually between 50-70 for the first hour and a reduced rate after that. Im not seeing a relevant comparison.
    I just said 15 seemed expensive for changing a link...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Satta Massagana

Robbed indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

thanks folks, i never for a minute thought it would cost that much to be honest, and yes i do think i was robbed, i was merely trying to find out how much other people have paid

i actually do have tools that could have done it but i do like to support local shops :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Fast fix in blanch charged me 15 and I was delighted.. nice and quick. Saved me a lot of hassle..

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

* really sorry if off topic or hijacking thread

Would a jeweler or watch repair shop have unbranded dials and bezels and be able to replace on a cheap watch I have?

If so any suggestions?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

faolteam wrote: »
    thanks folks, i never for a minute thought it would cost that much to be honest, and yes i do think i was robbed, i was merely trying to find out how much other people have paid

i actually do have tools that could have done it but i do like to support local shops :mad:

Was charged €20 in Dawson Jewellers for a link to be added. I didn't have a spring bar to fit an 18mm watch.

I was in town and walked in, gave them the watch and had it back in 30 minutes.

Bought my own tools and spring bars after this.

I thought it was expensive, so I got my own tools and now do it myself.

TLDR. Yes I think €15 is expensive but shops have to pay bills, rents and staff so its probably justified.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's all about the overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

What do you think would be a fair price?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

H Samuel has charged me €10 previously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

It's like nobody has thought of looking at a YouTube video before. In fairness last time I did it I broke one of my mots earrings pushing the pin out. I would have rather have payed €15 for the grief I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

faolteam wrote: »

Why are you posting from two different accounts :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You weren't ripped off. About a tenner would be about right. If you want to walk around town asking jewellers for a quote to save a fiver, that's up to you.

On a side note, I was in weirs on grafton Street twice for things like this and there was no charge because I bought the watch there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Why are you posting from two different accounts :confused:

Got the Girlfriends to ask the question when i left the jewellers on her phone, seems its the going rate, but might be worth looking at you tube videos

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I normally do most of the changing of straps / bracelets myself but I had a nightmare of a job two years ago to remove the bracelet from my Seamaster. It worked eventually. Wanted to put the bracelet back on recently and I knew it would be worse than taking it off (without having the right tool). Wasted about an hour of my time, did not get the job done. Went to local jewellers and they did the job and another similar job on another watch for EUR10. Went to him again recently for a similar job on one watch and he charged me a fiver

Palmerstown jewellers. It might help someone in west Dublin like myself. Decent man, good work, decent prices

Linky

Advertisement