Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cycle "reform": waffle and box-ticking exercises everywhere.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

I'd like to see the feedback comments they get after these days

Oh I bet the feedback is very 'positive'...the questions are designed only for positive responses & are very narrow in focus, no room to expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

Icsics wrote: »
    Oh I bet the feedback is very 'positive'...the questions are designed only for positive responses & are very narrow in focus, no room to expand.

Which sort of defeats the purpose of asking for feedback...all optics when really the last thing they want is real feedback in case they would have to engage with it.

Sort of goes against the supposed ethos of the new JC specification as well....very hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Noveight wrote: »
    If these Junior Cert reforms are indicative of what's coming down the line for the LC then we're headed for absolute carnage.

Its exactly what is coming down the line. Our education system is being dragged through the ditch for no gain. The simple solution IMO was to have a project/short exam in 2nd and 5th year, externally graded. This was the only change that was really needed to JC and LC (and tbf many LC subjects have elements like that now). Instead we have taken an utter sledge hammer to the JC, and it is failing at the moment, and the same will be done to the LC. Teachers concerns are not in anyway being listened to. You are almost looked at funny if you think there actually is not much wrong with the LC. I am really worried about the future of the education in the country. In service after in service selling us the merits of the bloody CBA, but dare ask a question about the actually exam in 3rd year (ie what actually matters) and you are fobbed off and told to wait to a sample paper that can only be seen a few months before the first group of students sit their new JC exam. Lunacy

Its exactly what is coming down the line. Our education system is being dragged through the ditch for no gain. The simple solution IMO was to have a project/short exam in 2nd and 5th year, externally graded. This was the only change that was really needed to JC and LC (and tbf many LC subjects have elements like that now). Instead we have taken an utter sledge hammer to the JC, and it is failing at the moment, and the same will be done to the LC. Teachers concerns are not in anyway being listened to. You are almost looked at funny if you think there actually is not much wrong with the LC. I am really worried about the future of the education in the country. In service after in service selling us the merits of the bloody CBA, but dare ask a question about the actually exam in 3rd year (ie what actually matters) and you are fobbed off and told to wait to a sample paper that can only be seen a few months before the first group of students sit their new JC exam. Lunacy
    Very true Maynooth. I also think there are far too many quangos & vested interest groups in education. NAPD, JMB, NCCA & the rest will spin whatever suits their members. According the the NAPD 'research' 76 % of students favour 'continuous assessment' & this is what is presented to the public. The new JC has all the signs of a programme born out of spin & the LC will go the same route

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

According the the NAPD 'research' 76 % of students favour 'continuous assessment' & this is what is presented to the public.

'Cause teachers or parents will do it for the students.

• Advertisement

'Cause teachers or parents will do it for the students.
    Yes also they haven't a clue what it involves but see continuous assessment as the easy option. And this makes headline news!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

Yes also they haven't a clue what it involves but see continuous assessment as the easy option. And this makes headline news!

As far as I can see its more like 76% of students who favour making as little effort as possible.....or don't know what making an effort actually involves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Very true Maynooth. I also think there are far too many quangos & vested interest groups in education. NAPD, JMB, NCCA & the rest will spin whatever suits their members. According the the NAPD 'research' 76 % of students favour 'continuous assessment' & this is what is presented to the public. The new JC has all the signs of a programme born out of spin & the LC will go the same route

NAPD research is a glorified CSPE investigation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't think anyone has listened to the NCCA in years, which is a pity, as whatever else they are, they are (or certainly were) educationally focussed.

My last involvement with them was about 7 years ago now, when we finished up on quite an extensive couple of years work, 'rebalancing' and updating some JC syllabi - and a bloody good job we did of it I think, only to have it all thrown in the bin for the current cost-saving measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

I was supervising students last week sitting their Junior Cycle Business Studies pre and couldnt help but feel after reading the exam that it had been completely dumbed down from the old Junior Cert course. Not only were the very weak but also the very best students finished after 1 hour.

• Advertisement

Jane98 wrote: »
    I was supervising students last week sitting their Junior Cycle Business Studies pre and couldnt help but feel after reading the exam that it had been completely dumbed down from the old Junior Cert course. Not only were the very weak but also the very best students finished after 1 hour.

The notion of 'common' level papers is not going to work, too easy for the good student & too difficult for the less able. But look at all the money it's saving....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Jane98 wrote: »

You will not get 5% of teachers who are in support of common level papers. The Jct are willfully ignoring our feedback on this regard. Once LC 'reform' enters, the whole secondary course will have been completly dumbed down, and for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 anyaelacru

Brilliant, eloquent,articulate comment, thankyou for this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Mardy Bum wrote:
    NAPD research is a glorified CSPE investigation.

Ah yes.
    A good old CSPE investigation. Nothing like an opportunity to allow students to show off all the skills they have honed over the years.

Advertisement