Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tenant alleging discrimination as evicting

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Caranica wrote: »
    €14,000 for several years now

2017 budget actually (aka Oct 2016)

Also point to note- its a gross 14,000- inclusive of absolutely everything- bill shares, internet, tv, heating, parking charges etc etc etc- you do not get to add anything onto the 14k.

Also- you don't have to be the owner of the property to avail of the rent-a-room scheme- a qualified tenant, with the permission of their landlord, can licence a room to a third party under the rent-a-room scheme (which seems like a nice way to subsidise your rent- if the landlord agrees, and you have a spare bedroom..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭YakerK

Also point to note- its a gross 14,000- inclusive of absolutely everything- bill shares, internet, tv, heating, parking charges etc etc etc- you do not get to add anything onto the 14k.

That’s not the case, even splitting of bills for services provided by 3rd party are excluded.

If the landlord provides a service e.g. cleaning or meals, then that would be included in the €14k.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

YakerK wrote: »
    That’s not the case, even splitting of bills for services provided by 3rd party are excluded.

If the landlord provides a service e.g. cleaning or meals, then that would be included in the €14k.

Thats what I said?

I'd read your post as saying that landlord had to include bill shares in the €14k allowance ("inclusive of absolutely everything"), i.e. if they rented two rooms at €6k each, but then passed on bills they'd be above €14k, which would make the whole amount taxable.

For clarity, bill sharing is not counted as part of your €14k, nor is the receipt of the licencee's portion of the bills considered taxable income. If that's what you meant, apologises for misrepresenting!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Purple Sheep

I'd read your post as saying that landlord had to include bill shares in the €14k allowance ("inclusive of absolutely everything"), i.e. if they rented two rooms at €6k each, but then passed on bills they'd be above €14k, which would make the whole amount taxable.

For clarity, bill sharing is not counted as part of your €14k, nor is the receipt of the licencee's portion of the bills considered taxable income. If that's what you meant, apologises for misrepresenting!

My understanding also was that the bills are included in that €14 000 limit, looking at citizens information:
    Currently, the total (gross) rent that you get, which includes sums that the tenant pays for food, utilities, laundry or similar goods and services, cannot exceed €14,000 in the tax year
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/rent_a_room_scheme.html

I guess you wouldn't get taxed on the bills in that case though, just on the rent you get even if it turns out to be under €14000 on its own. :confused:

I'd noticed that there was conflicting information out there - Revenue's own guidance has no mention of bills, but to be sure I'd contacted Revenue to clarify this and they had confirmed to me that bill sharing was not counted when working out if your income was above/below €14k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Del2005 wrote: »
    Then the tenants will accuse the OP of not allowing them quiet enjoyment of their home. Better send it registered and if not accepted then do a hand delivery.
    Once it's signed and ready get the solicitor to organise a courier to deliver it to the address and you have a record of delivery from an independant party. The courier is the equivelant of the positie let them argue that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭The Student

I'd noticed that there was conflicting information out there - Revenue's own guidance has no mention of bills, but to be sure I'd contacted Revenue to clarify this and they had confirmed to me that bill sharing was not counted when working out if your income was above/below €14k

Correct as you are not receiving the money for the bills the utility company are so it is not your income. There could be an argument that you are liable for the benefit of the standing charge (eg you are only paying half and your licensee is paying the other half) but I am just being pedantic.

Advertisement