Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2018: General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

DTgb-yPWsAEQUIb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Top Dog wrote: »
    :D

And yet somehow no-body believes them :pac:

Pirelli have waded in now - Pirelli who have the same data as Williams - believe Kubica did a good job in Abu Dhabi and deserves the opportunity to return to Formula 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Harika

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Just read the bit on Sky about Paddy Lowe, basically in plain English “Sirotkin brings loads of money and that’s all that matters”

Kubica gets a reserve role.

Its early days yet, but I would see the Williams line-up as the weakest on the grid by a fair shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

That's a weak lineup when compared to the teams they will be fighting against.
    They can spout all the rubbish they want, this was about $$$ plain and simple.

Gintonious wrote: »

Its early days yet, but I would see the Williams line-up as the weakest on the grid by a fair shot.

I wonder is he an insurance policy against either Stroll or Sirotkin, if the team is doing crap will the money those 2 bring be enough to make up for the losses in the contructors championship.

Will Kubica get much time in the car over the course of the season?

Between now and Melbourne you'd expect him to be in it when the other 2 aren't.

I wonder is he an insurance policy against either Stroll or Sirotkin, if the team is doing crap will the money those 2 bring be enough to make up for the losses in the contructors championship.

Will Kubica get much time in the car over the course of the season?

Between now and Melbourne you'd expect him to be in it when the other 2 aren't.

He gets 8 practise sessions, winter testing and other tests as well. So he will be around.

Stroll didn't really improve at all last year, his Baku race was great but that was a mad race. The team also has a Mere PU in it, so they don't have a McLaren excuse either.

Mind you, if Kubica is developing the car, and they have Russian money, the car could evolve to a high performance degree, but ultimately they will be let down by Stroll and Sirotkin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Taking emotion out of it, I can totally understand this call. The team have been in the doldrums for years, have shown no signs of challenging for titles and it has obviously taken a financial toll on them. It's absolutely understandable that, at a stage where they are showing signs of financial recovery, they would take the money and invest it in the groundwork for getting back to where they should be.

• Advertisement

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Taking emotion out of it, I can totally understand this call. The team have been in the doldrums for years, have shown no signs of challenging for titles and it has obviously taken a financial toll on them. It's absolutely understandable that, at a stage where they are showing signs of financial recovery, they would take the money and invest it in the groundwork for getting back to where they should be.

Indeed, its a business decision.

This does come with a big risk in 2 incredibly inexperienced drivers. Sponsors etc will roll if results don't show up.

Strolls results last year were so-so for a rookie, he had his moments but he was very inconsistent. Sirotken has some F1 experience but none in a race or in that capacity.

Its a bit of an unknown but you would be forgiven for looking at it as a glass half empty.

He gets 8 practise sessions, winter testing and other tests as well. So he will be around.

Stroll didn't really improve at all last year, his Baku race was great but that was a mad race. The team also has a Mere PU in it, so they don't have a McLaren excuse either.

Mind you, if Kubica is developing the car, and they have Russian money, the car could evolve to a high performance degree, but ultimately they will be let down by Stroll and Sirotkin.
    Indeed, its a business decision.

This does come with a big risk in 2 incredibly inexperienced drivers. Sponsors etc will roll if results don't show up.

Strolls results last year were so-so for a rookie, he had his moments but he was very inconsistent. Sirotken has some F1 experience but none in a race or in that capacity.

Its a bit of an unknown but you would be forgiven for looking at it as a glass half empty.
    In relation to Stroll's results last year there were 2 that i can clearly remember;

Baku 3rd,Bottas took 2nd off him literally on the line. This podium only happened for 2 reasons, 1. Vettel driving into Hamilton. 2. Hamilton's headrest working look forcing the extra pitstop.

Monza 2nd on the grid. After initially qualifying 4th i believe, on a wet track he was elevated to 2nd after penalties are dished out, he couldn't maintain it in the race, the performance in general.

As has been mentioned previously, Massa clearly got the better of him bar the podium itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

As has been mentioned previously, Massa clearly got the better of him bar the podium itself.

Also, wasn't Massa ahead of him before being forced to retire? It's not like Stroll was incredibly quick on the day. The car clearly suited the track, he benefited from other's misfortune and, at best, he managed to match his over-the-hill team mate.

How many millions will it cost Williams to make their car several tenths faster just to compensate for their terrible driver lineup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

8 practice sessions will allow kubica to stick around anyway. I guess he has a small opportunity still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Infoanon

mickdw wrote: »
    8 practice sessions will allow kubica to stick around anyway. I guess he has a small opportunity still.

Kubica will be what Paddy Lowe refers to as 'the reference point'

In the same way that was Massas role last year and its clear that Lowe would have been more than happy to have retained Massa.

Williams could produce the best Mercedes car this year - unlikely - but it will not be able to challenge Force India or Mercedes due to its weak line up of pay drivers. With all the other teams upping their game a team that only recently could compete for 3rd in the constructors and have podiums on a regular basis will be struggling to finish ahead of Haas/Sauber and Toro Rosso.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,387 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Hard to see Williams having a good season with two young drivers, hopefully they survive it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Harika

The Stroll money should now kick in for Development, Paddy Lowe should be able to put more of his knowledge in. Overall I think the drivers will hold them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I have to say, I feel this is Williams taking a short-term cash-out, rather than reaping the long-term benefits that Kubica would have brought.

Think of all of the coverage Robert would have got. The hype before Australia. Think of all of the potential young fans, and people who have never before watched f1, who would be going out of their way to watch Robert race. There would be a big potential for new lifelong Williams fans.

Instead they have a young, pay driver who - simply because of the very nature of who he was fighting with for the drive - a lot of f1 regulars won't be too keen to support.

As with everything though - it's history which will determine whether Williams has done the right thing. If Sergy goes on to be a world champ, then people will ultimately say that they did the right thing. If he becomes one of those drivers who just fades away - well, I'm not sure history will be that kind.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    It may make financial sense for Williams but its a real shame. Would have made a great story if Robert got the drive. Up there with some of the great F1 recoveries like we saw with Lauda.

If Kubica proves himself in his outings and Bottas doesn’t live upto expectations in his second season, Kubica is rated highly by Hamilton and they go back nearly 20 years.

You get where this is going.

Fact or fiction for 2019?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Schorpio

If Kubica proves himself in his outings and Bottas doesn’t live upto expectations in his second season, Kubica is rated highly by Hamilton and they go back nearly 20 years.

Ha, would love it to be fact, but can't ever see it.

Lewis never really wants to be challenged. Deep down I think he wants the 'defined number 2' model that Ferrari champion. Look at his tumultuous relationship with Nico and Fernando as teammates.

Interestingly, in his most recent vlog, Nico was asked about Lewis, and he said they they were genuinely good friends in the karting days, but that changed in f1 -and maybe someday they will be friends again. He seemed a bit remorseful. So, I don't think being friends really matters to Lewis in the paddock!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

If Esteban Ocon continues this year where he left off in 2017, then he would be in pole position for any open Merc seat

skipper_G wrote: »
    If Esteban Ocon continues this year where he left off in 2017, then he would be in pole position for any open Merc seat

Bottas to FI as his replacement due to the Mercedes engines?

I'd say the top team ship has sailed where Perez is concerned.

McLaren was the wrong time.

Schorpio wrote: »
    Ha, would love it to be fact, but can't ever see it.

Lewis never really wants to be challenged. Deep down I think he wants the 'defined number 2' model that Ferrari champion. Look at his tumultuous relationship with Nico and Fernando as teammates.

Interestingly, in his most recent vlog, Nico was asked about Lewis, and he said they they were genuinely good friends in the karting days, but that changed in f1 -and maybe someday they will be friends again. He seemed a bit remorseful. So, I don't think being friends really matters to Lewis in the paddock!

I loved that 2007 season :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

McLaren launch: 23rd of February.

Toronto Rosso: 25th of February.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    McLaren launch: 23rd of February.

Toronto Rosso: 25th of February.

Mercedes on the 22nd and Ferrari on the 23rd also.

*Edit* Actually, Mercedes and Ferrari are both on the 22nd Feb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Williams haven't had a strong driver lineup since 2010 when Hulkenberg (debut season) and Barrichello were there.

David-Coulthard-Red-Bull-Test-Jerez-2004-fotoshowBig-34c572bc-923382.jpg

I was looking at test liveries earlier and the Red Bull one above does stand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Their Supercar has a lot more white this year, to be reflected int he F1 livery maybe?
    4372a9667f5122744911b101ce607849?width=650

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Anyone know when pre season testing is on? Presumably Barcelona unless the Catalans uprise again.

flazio wrote: »
    Anyone know when pre season testing is on? Presumably Barcelona unless the Catalans uprise again.

26th of February to the 1st of March and 6th of March to the 9th of March. All at Barcelona.

• Advertisement

https://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/15-21-january-2018/formula-1-face-legal-battle-new-logo/

Looks like the ever popular new F1 logo could be involved in a bit of a legal battle soon.

In fairness, it is pretty similar.
    US-based company 3M – which also manufactures Post-It notes – is now alleging that the F1 logo infringes on their copyright, given the similarity to the branding on the company’s range of flight compression tights from its sub-brand Futuro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

You'd think a design publication would know the difference between copyright and trademark. :rolleyes:
    But they are very alike.

Force India will launch their new car with a new team name and logo. Due to happen at Barcelona on the 25th of February.

Force India will launch their new car with a new team name and logo. Due to happen at Barcelona on the 25th of February.

Lets hope there isn't copyright issues there as well :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Jordan seems like a good name for an F1 team.

Jordan seems like a good name for an F1 team.

As long as its yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As long as its yellow.

Would be hard to distinguish from a Renault though. 7up green is the way to go.

flazio wrote: »
    Would be hard to distinguish from a Renault though. 7up green is the way to go.

Easy fix, put a hornet on the nose.

6d57234319c5e8f0cda1ceea3d159ed5.jpg

Easy fix, put a hornet on the nose.

6d57234319c5e8f0cda1ceea3d159ed5.jpg

The livery from those days was far better than today.

The one i'll never forget though is the 1999 BAR :pac:

• Advertisement

As its preseason etc, here is a sweet BAR from 1998 in a testing livery.

Its an absolute beat.

82ca15988f82b03f86b1756c9bc3fdd8.jpg

279548.jpg

CWSJdujWoAAicXe.jpg

As its preseason etc, here is a sweet BAR from 1998 in a testing livery.

Its an absolute beat.

82ca15988f82b03f86b1756c9bc3fdd8.jpg

279548.jpg

CWSJdujWoAAicXe.jpg

That livery was nice, they should have kept it.

The dual Lucky Strike/555 branding was rubbish.

On separate cars, as they wanted to run it, looked fine, but the FIA wouldn't allow it.

That livery was nice, they should have kept it.

The dual Lucky Strike/555 branding was rubbish.

On separate cars, as they wanted to run it, looked fine, but the FIA wouldn't allow it.

You're right, individually they looked nice.

DDmdPEgXYAA4Ocu.jpg

jerez_test9.jpg

Seems like they ran this livery twice. Here you can see the Honda badges on the car and helmet. They switched to Honda after they used the Supertec ones in 1999, so I would guess this was pre-season 2000.

Sorry, I love little details like this.

jerez_test9.jpg

Seems like they ran this livery twice. Here you can see the Honda badges on the car and helmet. They switched to Honda after they used the Supertec ones in 1999, so I would guess this was pre-season 2000.

Sorry, I love little details like this.

I'll always remember either Craig Pollock or Adrian Reynard saying that they would win a race in their first season, yet didn't score a point.

Villeneuve retired from the first 11 races and Zonta broke a bone in his foot in Brazil.

When Mika Salo stood in, he scored the team's best result that year, 7th in Monaco.

The above photo was probably the 1999 spec car with a Honda engine in the off season perhaps?

The supertec engine being a rebadged 2 year old Renault wasn't it?

You'd be like myself with the small detail.

Best car from around that era was the 2000-2002 Arrows with Orange as title sponsor.

I'll always remember either Craig Pollock or Adrian Reynard saying that they would win a race in their first season, yet didn't score a point.

Villeneuve retired from the first 11 races and Zonta broke a bone in his foot in Brazil.

When Mika Salo stood in, he scored the team's best result that year, 7th in Monaco.

The above photo was probably the 1999 spec car with a Honda engine in the off season perhaps?

The supertec engine being a rebadged 2 year old Renault wasn't it?

You'd be like myself with the small detail.

Best car from around that era was the 2000-2002 Arrows with Orange as title sponsor.

And that Arrows had a solid chassis, they would usually do well around Monaco and that was a track where the engine wasn't really a big factor.

You might be right with the 1999 car with a Honda bolted in. The Supertec engine was a joke of a thing, I would love to know how many of them they blew up that year.

• Advertisement

And that Arrows had a solid chassis, they would usually do well around Monaco and that was a track where the engine wasn't really a big factor.

You might be right with the 1999 car with a Honda bolted in. The Supertec engine was a joke of a thing, I would love to know how many of them they blew up that year.

I wonder did DC maintain his friendship with Enrique Bernoldi after Monaco 2001 :pac:

Arrows built far better cars than the likes of Minardi, Hungary 1997 anyone?

At least back then the sport was a bit unpredictable with unexpected engine blows, Irvine at Imola 1999, Schumacher France 2000, Hakkinen at Indianapolis 2001.

Not the farce we have today with reliability being too good.

Flavio Briatore didn't care how many engines blew up, he was still pocketing a fortune.

There was one race in 1998, can't remember the exact one, Frentzen's Suptertec had a massive blow up, it was on par with Fisichella's Honda blow up in Belgium 2002.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I wonder did DC maintain his friendship with Enrique Bernoldi after Monaco 2001 :pac:

Arrows built far better cars than the likes of Minardi, Hungary 1997 anyone?

At least back then the sport was a bit unpredictable with unexpected engine blows, Irvine at Imola 1999, Schumacher France 2000, Hakkinen at Indianapolis 2001.

Not the farce we have today with reliability being too good.

You should apply for a job with the Honda PR department. ;)

Vic_08 wrote: »
    You should apply for a job with the Honda PR department. ;)

Apologies, i should have excluded Honda from that bit :cool:

The last known Irish man to successfully work in F1 for a Japanese outfit was Richard Cregan, anyone remember him?

Peter Collins of RTE was obsessed with the guy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

On BAR, it's mad that less than 20 years ago a publicly traded tobacco company decided to basically buy an F1 team for marketing purposes.

For background, the banning of tobacco advertising in the EU started in 1991 and the end of sponsorship was flagged well in advance of the 2003 Directive coming to pass after a long gestation. One can only imagine Bernie made all kinds of representations.

In other EU Law related news, Sauber and Force India have withdrawn their complaints to the European Commission regarding anti-competitive agreements. Whether or not the Commission see that as the end of things may well be another story but I don't cases of this nature are on their current agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭flexcon

Anyone here heading over to the testing in Barcelona? Heading over for the second week.

I've been there last year and was honestly the best experience to get up close to the cars with no crowds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement