Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FM104 Phoneshow vs. Niall Boylan Show

• 29-04-2017 9:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3

I know people have their opinions on these types of shows.. but who do you think is doing the better show at the moment? .. or Dublin Talks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Both rubbish IMO. Is it just me or does boylan talk about sex too much? It's actually boarderline creepy. That's just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Niall loves the sound of his own voice and his opinion is all that matters. He will argue to the death about something and never be told he's wrong.

Chris Barry has no interest in anything his callers have to say.

Adrian Kennedy seems alright, actually takes an interest in what people are saying and seems empathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

I only get to hear niall boylan on 4fm but don't listen much now it's the same topics over and over. I don't like the constant swearing although I might swear a bit myself but i don't think we need to hear the f word all the time at night. My nightly listening now is James whale on talkradio app then Ian Collins or nick Abbot on lbc via sat box. Funny how they can do a show whit out callers f ing and blinding at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

fussyonion wrote: »
    Niall loves the sound of his own voice and his opinion is all that matters. He will argue to the death about something and never be told he's wrong.

Adrian Kennedy seems alright, actually takes an interest in what people are saying and seems empathetic.

8e a lot for Chris to have any interest in what his callers say when you consider that he has not done the show for months.

8e a lot for Chris to have any interest in what his callers say when you consider that he has not done the show for months.

Why are you stating the obvious?
    I know he hasn't done the show in months. That doesn't take away from the fact that when he IS hosting it, he seems disinterested in what people are saying.

• Advertisement

Why are you stating the obvious?
    I know he hasn't done the show in months. That doesn't take away from the fact that when he IS hosting it, he seems disinterested in what people are saying.

Well why even mention his name when he has not done the show since last year. Obviously you MEANT when he WAS presenting the show but didn't say that. Pfffttttttt.....

Well why even mention his name when he has not done the show since last year. Obviously you MEANT when he WAS presenting the show but didn't say that. Pfffttttttt.....

Because the OP asked our opinion on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

Chris Barry was the best on the radio he speak his mind.

Greg Merriman was quite good i thought he be a good replacement for Chris.

Niall Boylan is good at lunchtime good at his job better than 2fm.

Adrian Kennedy is good to listen to when he is doing it solo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Wolf_Man_Woof

Yeah, I agree about Chris having no real interest while he was at the helm. The guy who's presenting the Phoneshow now is doing a good job, I think. He seems interested and actually gets involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Wolf_Man_Woof

I'd love if Adrian and Jeremy were doing a night-time show again. I know they had their detractors, but I loved the Phoneshow when they were at the helm.

• Advertisement

vince wrote: »
    I only get to hear niall boylan on 4fm but don't listen much now it's the same topics over and over. I don't like the constant swearing although I might swear a bit myself but i don't think we need to hear the f word all the time at night. My nightly listening now is James whale on talkradio app then Ian Collins or nick Abbot on lbc via sat box. Funny how they can do a show whit out callers f ing and blinding at each other.

I like Talkradio as well and Iain Lee can be good after the James Whale show!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Big Barry

Boylan is by far the best talk show host that is out there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

Big Barry wrote: »
    Boylan is by far the best talk show host that is out there at the moment.
    Nice one Niall :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

AK alone but JD just drags him down , imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

AK alone but JD just drags him down , imho.

Jeremy is just a troll these days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Gauguin_Ghost

There really isn't a late-night phone-in show right now that is anywhere as good as the Adrian Kennedy and Jeremy Dixon era FM104 Phoneshow was. That show was consistently the most listened to night time show in Ireland for a reason. It was a masterclass in this type of radio. Especially during the Celtic Tiger era, the toxicity of that time made for some brilliant radio. The Halloween Specials were fun too. Dublin Talks however, pales in comparison. The main reason for this is that it's pre-watershed. The lads are wizards at what they do- in the right situation. Their Phoneshow worked so well because they had nearly 3 hours of post-watershed freedom which allowed them to basically do/say whatever they wanted. And pre-watershed also mean no pissed up skangers! I'd love if they were doing a night-time show again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

used to be an avid listener of the Niall Boylan show and really enjoyed listening at first, but i eventually got bored listening to the same topics over and over, and the same callers banging the same predictable drum, so i don't listen much these days.

Im just wondering does the caller John still ring into Niall Boylan not John O Donovan, the professional protester the other John who used to always give out about single mothers on welfare and hated working class people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,142 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

There really isn't a late-night phone-in show right now that is anywhere as good as the Adrian Kennedy and Jeremy Dixon era FM104 Phoneshow was. That show was consistently the most listened to night time show in Ireland for a reason. It was a masterclass in this type of radio. Especially during the Celtic Tiger era, the toxicity of that time made for some brilliant radio. The Halloween Specials were fun too. Dublin Talks however, pales in comparison. The main reason for this is that it's pre-watershed. The lads are wizards at what they do- in the right situation. Their Phoneshow worked so well because they had nearly 3 hours of post-watershed freedom which allowed them to basically do/say whatever they wanted. And pre-watershed also mean no pissed up skangers! I'd love if they were doing a night-time show again.

absolutely agree with this. the phoneshow now is nothing in comparison. i guess times and things move on, and Adrian and Jeremy decided they wanted to move on, but it's a great shame they aren't still doing the show. it was religious listening tbh. it's just not the same now. nobody's fault i guess, but it isn't the same.
    even chris barry when he was on it after the 2 lads left didn't live up to what i hoped for (i had heard his shows in the 90s were very good also but it was before i began listening to the phoneshow) so somebody will correct me.
    maybe if presenters had more freedom then that would make a big change.
    Mutant z wrote: »
    used to be an avid listener of the Niall Boylan show and really enjoyed listening at first, but i eventually got bored listening to the same topics over and over, and the same callers banging the same predictable drum, so i don't listen much these days.

i agree with this also. i think that is down to the limited freedom that niall has doing the show, compared to say, his show on 98 fm (which i did listen to the odd time) . but sadly as time moves on, broadcasters have less freedom to do and say, which makes talk shows repetitive and boaring.
    i think in the right situation and given enough freedom his show could be decent and less repetitive.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I miss the fm104 phoneshow with Adrian and Jeremy, particularly the get it off your chest parts. Used to have it on in the background after 9!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I used to listen to these shows but then it came to a point where it was just the same topics night after night. Dublin Talks has the odd interesting topic, Niall Boylan seems to be too Joe Duffyesque and the Fm104 Phoneshow is the same or similar topics every night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Yeah the phoneshow definitely had trolls to rile up people to get them to ring up.

That Jude fella comes to mind

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I used to listen to these shows but then it came to a point where it was just the same topics night after night. Dublin Talks has the odd interesting topic, Niall Boylan seems to be too Joe Duffyesque and the Fm104 Phoneshow is the same or similar topics every night.

Any one else find Niall can be a wee bit seedy at times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

How so?

I think Keith Ward is doing quite a good job on the Phoneshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

I think Keith Ward is doing quite a good job on the Phoneshow.

I think so too but he can let the conversation go off topic at times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 weary_salesman

the nial boylan show must be really desperate for callers , i called them once about two years ago and they call me about one per month since asking if il go on air

aon1998 wrote: »
    I think so too but he can let the conversation go off topic at times.

He's a marked improvement over Chris Barry.

I think Niall Boylan's show is pretty stale these days, mainly because he always has the same callers on. AK and JD are nowhere near as good as they were back in their prime but theirs is still the best show. They've a few good callers, the American head banger who rings in is a laugh.

I don't think these types of shows will be around in 10 years time though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Netherlandish

Dublin Talks is a boring, stifled pastiche of The Phoneshow with Adrian and Jeremy. It's also proof that the 'referee amongst the arguing callers' style of radio(of which the two lads are masters) isn't suited to a daytime audience.

The AK and JD era Phoneshow was my favourite thing on radio. I loved it for what it unapologetically was, pure voyeurism. The callers to phone-in shows are just as important as the presenters and the Phoneshow was never short of interesting characters. Especially during the mid 2000s when the Celtic tiger was in full swing, coked-up ''millionaires'' would ring in and try to outdo each other, bragging about property... it was radio gold. It had people from all walks of Dublin life call in, sex workers and individuals involved in criminality would ring in and you got to hear voices and opinions that you might normally never have heard. It was always interesting and at times, really compelling. This voyeurism and grittiness is what's missing from Dublin Talks, but of course it is because DT is pre-watershed. The Phoneshow's post-watershed time slot played to the lads' strengths. Dublin Talks' slot however, highlights their weaknesses. It's boring and feels very 'produced' and artificial, at odds with how organic and natural the Phoneshow was.

I wonder, would the lads ever go back to working nights?

i'd doubt they would go back to working nights but i guess you never know. if they did, would 98 fm allow them to operate along the same lines as their old night time slot on 104 though? i can't imagine they would unfortunately.
    i completely agree though, their incarnation of the phoneshow was radio at it's best. it cannot be topped. niall boylan's 98 fm show was also quite good as well the odd time i tuned in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Dublin Talks is a boring, stifled pastiche of The Phoneshow with Adrian and Jeremy. It's also proof that the 'referee amongst the arguing callers' style of radio(of which the two lads are masters) isn't suited to a daytime audience.

The AK and JD era Phoneshow was my favourite thing on radio. I loved it for what it unapologetically was, pure voyeurism. The callers to phone-in shows are just as important as the presenters and the Phoneshow was never short of interesting characters. Especially during the mid 2000s when the Celtic tiger was in full swing, coked-up ''millionaires'' would ring in and try to outdo each other, bragging about property... it was radio gold. It had people from all walks of Dublin life call in, sex workers and individuals involved in criminality would ring in and you got to hear voices and opinions that you might normally never have heard. It was always interesting and at times, really compelling. This voyeurism and grittiness is what's missing from Dublin Talks, but of course it is because DT is pre-watershed. The Phoneshow's post-watershed time slot played to the lads' strengths. Dublin Talks' slot however, highlights their weaknesses. It's boring and feels very 'produced' and artificial, at odds with how organic and natural the Phoneshow was.

I wonder, would the lads ever go back to working nights?

I haven't really listened to the radio since they left. They were brilliant. I would love if they came back for nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

I hear that Boylans evening show is only going to run from 9pm to 11pm now.

They must have run out of ideas.

Dr Brown wrote: »

where did you hear that? the show ran out of ideas years ago to be fair. really they should just keep the night time show and ditch the afternoon one in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Boylan never stops talking but he seems well versed in the content. Why, oh why, must callers use bad language on this programme? Of course it is an adult programme yet so are so many programmes on RTE yet bad language is not acceptable there. What kind of adult needs to use the language of the gutter to make a point? It diminishes all of us and it cheapens the show. I feel like I need to wash my hands after listening to it.

• Advertisement

I like Niall but I think it would be better to only have the night show. It's a bit overkill having him on twice a day.

Just wish they'd stop using Steve the actor to rile people up.
    It's so baffling how people don't see that he's a plant and because I know he is, I feel like switching off til he's gone because his opinion doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Innocent_X

The boss usually has 98fm on in work so I have no choice but to listen to DT. I agree with folks who say Dublin Talks is bad, it really is. What really brings it down though are some of the regular callers/trolls who have turned the show in to pathetic pantomime. One troll in particular is a woman who calls herself ''Lisa'' and ''Carly''. I really hope she's getting paid because she rings in every single day, that's not an exaggeration. What sort of person thinks trolling a phone-in show is something actually worth doing? And what sort of person would believe that she's a genuine caller?

I've listened to Keith Ward and I've been impressed(I understand a lot of people are switching over to him now). He actually gets involved in the discussions with his callers and the topics are interesting and varied.

it depends on what you are looking for i suppose but i don't really find the phone show's topics hugely varied. they seem to be along the same lines of what would you do or some other dilemma nonsense. i can't blame them for that though, radio has changed and such shows can't be as controversial as they once could be unfortunately.
    i rarely listen to dublin talks, i seem to forget that it is on, probably because it's on early in the day rather then late at night. but i'd imagine it suffers from the fact it's on during the day, as well as what i mentioned above in relation to the phone show and other similar talk shows likely not having the freedom they once did.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The peak of the phone in shows was when someone rang in live from stealing a car. The old FM104 show with Adrian and Jeremy was great, it felt like anything could happen on it.

Now their 2 hour show is too formulated and safe which is understandable given the time slot and which is unavoidable given they don't want to work nights anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Innocent_X wrote: »
    I've listened to Keith Ward and I've been impressed(I understand a lot of people are switching over to him now). He actually gets involved in the discussions with his callers and the topics are interesting and varied.

I don't dislike Keith, but his voice just kind of annoys me for some reason it a bit irritating. It just really isn't a talk show voice, it's a music show voice like Ben M, I couldn't picture him doing a talk show. He isn't as bad as Jeremy but he is offset by Adrian's voice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Ya, I always enjoyed it. Makes one feel a bit smug after a bad day at the office . You think to yourself, "thank god , I am not him or her".

Adrian is brilliant, Jeremy has some charm to. Unmissable radio after OTB back in the day , especially when Marc Coleman was not on fighting with his guests

Boylan is a bit of a hunt, but, in most part he is not a space cadet. Loves talking about s.e.x. and religion. Fine for a while, but, over and over and over. He has a good voice. Certainly not the worst

They all have regular guests, are they getting paid. "Are you for reallllllll". Or that posh disabled lad (I think) or the religious English accent chap.My favourite was the posh girl from the south of the city, really young thought she knew it all (some of her opinions were fair) and rather conservative , complete snob

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Loughc wrote: »
    The peak of the phone in shows was when someone rang in live from stealing a car. The old FM104 show with Adrian and Jeremy was great, it felt like anything could happen on it.

Now their 2 hour show is too formulated and safe which is understandable given the time slot and which is unavoidable given they don't want to work nights anymore.

Weren't they live on air when the news of a gangster execution happened. Good radio .Around 2010-2011ish

• Site Banned Posts: 2 Pope_Paul_III

The old Phoneshow was absolutely brilliant. It was edgy, real and exciting. Dublin Talks on the other hand, is hairdresser radio. I was listening to a few of their old 104 podcasts and the difference between then and now... there's just no comparison. I also had a listen to the Halloween Special they did at the Hellfire Club and it was actually brilliant. I don't believe in the paranormal but it was genuinely creepy and unnerving. Jeremy was absolutely brilliant on it. It was things like this that made the old phoneshow special.

I think Niall Boylan's show has really gone downhill in terms of quality. The night time show especially, which now seems to be just a love-in for the boring regulars to talk inane nonsense. Why do they always seem to be talking about sex?, do they think this is 'edgy'? I would love if David Harvey came back.

I like the new Phoneshow, I think it's the best show atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Most of the topics on these shows are crap IMO thats why I rarely listen to them anymore. It seems that they recycle the same topics over and over again.

The topics seem to always be picked based on these categories

1. A dilemma of some sort usually a relationship or domestic issue

2. Some sort of video they post on their facebook page usually two junkies fighting or something along those line.

3. Some minorly significant person who gives an opinion on a subject. Usually something to parenting or along those lines.

• Site Banned Posts: 2 Pope_Paul_III

The few times I've tuned in to Dublin Talks recently, every single time a troll called ''Noelle'' is on.. it's a bit sad how they now seem to be relying on someone like this to rile up listeners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Marconi_King

Dublin Talks is the worst show on 98. It's so out of place. I've never understood the appeal of Adrian Kennedy. He's quite standoffish and has no charisma whatsoever. He's just so 'meh'. Maybe that's it, perhaps it's his lack of charisma and his ordinariness that appeals to a certain sort. I bet he thanks his lucky stars each day that he met Jeremy, who actually has a bit of oomph.

Everything about Dublin Talks is 'meh', as one poster put it, it's ''hairdresser radio''. It must be amazing to work on the show.

Did Adrian and Jerrmy say something about Niall this morning?
    I heard Niall reading out a message from someone saying he'd been spoken about and Niall said "Don't worry..those two clowns will get what's coming".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Gerard_David

For anyone who's interested, here is the Phoneshow Halloween Special Adrian and Jeremy did at the Hellfire Club, a few years ago.. I'm not allowed to post links but it's on Youtube and here's the video's title.

Adrian Kennedy FM104 Phoneshow Halloween Special 2010- The Hellfire Club

And to answer the OP's question, I think Keith Ward's Phoneshow is the best phone-in atm. Topics are varied and I like Keith and John. The Niall Boylan Show on the other hand has gone quite stale and repetitive. He seems to have the same callers on most nights where they talk mainly about sex. Why they think this makes for broadcast-quality radio is beyond me...

Dr Brown wrote: »

It seems like it could well have run its course i used to love listen to it when i first started listening it wasnt what i was used to hearing on the radio and was a breath of fresh air, Boylan's non pc approach to topics was in complete contrast to most radio shows especially on RTE, however after about 2 years listening to the same callers and topics repeatedly i decided i had enough. I still listened on a very sporadic basis up to the end of last year but the spark that made it great originally had gone and i finally switched off permanently.

The Niall Boylan Show was another repeat tonight which they tried to pass off as being live. There was no "this is a repeat, please do not call or text..". The big giveaway was Niall and the callers referring to David Cameron as the current Prime Minister... Very shoddy stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement