Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I have a cauliflower & most of the ingredients (will swap fake milk for real milk) so guess that's my dinner this evening! I'm pretty sure the last time I made it, it was because you (or someone else on this thread!) had posted the recipe here as well :D

As they say in the ads - "It's amazing what they can do with cauliflower these days" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Spaghetti and meatballs.

Very tasty.

IMG-20190214-174317.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

656-C4-B09-65-BB-4-EC0-A4-FD-2203-C0-D9-E82-D.jpg

Not a great photo, but stir fried veggies with garlic. So much garlic. Mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

Roasted an Aldi free range chicken in the airfryer this evening. Don't do roasts or meat and 2 veg dinner's too often usualy pasta and rice dishes or dinners with mash. This was so quick and easy I may do it more often. 1 hr flipped it just before half way then turned it back over for last 10min. Turned out amazing every bit of skin was crispy and meat was very tender. I'll strip the carcass tomorrow and make chicken soup.

Served with roasts, bread stuffing, some mixed veg and baked cheese cauliflower. Had a portion of get ahead gravy in freezer from Christmas. It was nearly like a mini Christmas dinner.

473271.jpg

473272.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Prawns with Spaghetti and Green Beans

43-AB3468-5-B7-B-40-D1-BCE2-C88-DD949-E266.jpg

Pud was Mrs G!’s Swiss Roll, Custard and Cream

9-C2-F386-D-5-A1-A-46-F1-AA23-8129-DFCF464-B.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Chicken thighs with fried mushrooms & onions in a creamy sauce served with fresh tagliatelli.

I did a slow cooker chilli last night, no pics but you'll just have to take my word for it.

No mince, just two big lumps of brisket , that I scored with a knife, browned in a pan, then covered with a paste made from oregano/cumin/paprika (smoked), cinnamon and lemon zest and juice.

Placed the briskets in the slow cooker with a couple of cans of tomatoes, some water, chopped coriander, red and yellow peppers, chopped onion, and chopped jalapenos.

Mixed in a tin of kidney beans and your before serving.

Left it on low for 9 hours, and it came out as melt in the mouth lumps of beef.

Savage isn't the word for it. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Huevos Rancheros

10nx6bb.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I did a slow cooker chilli last night, no pics but you'll just have to take my word for it.

No mince, just two big lumps of brisket

Was thinking of making something like this, as I prefer chunky meat in chilli rather than mince.

Is brisket the same as stewing beef?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Was thinking of making something like this, as I prefer chunky meat in chilli rather than mince.

Is brisket the same as stewing beef?

Yeah, it's basically a slab of beef, but because it's of a tougher cut, needs to be slow cooked.

Trust me, it comes out a good bit better than mince.

I first seen J.O do this a few years ago, and have tweaked it somewhat to suit myself. But you'll get the gist here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Cheers, so the diced stewing beef from the supermarket would be similar? That's what I had in mind, and slow cook it, maybe in the oven...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

Cheers, so the diced stewing beef from the supermarket would be similar? That's what I had in mind, and slow cook it, maybe in the oven...

Stewing beef would be good

Recipe I posted in the slow cooker thread using stewing beef it's pretty simple one without too many ingredients and steps.
    Edit if you did it on the hob or oven you may need a bit more water.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109146152&postcount=1525

I don't think youd be far off going down that route iG.

He puts his in the oven too.

The only thing I think would differ is that the stewing beef would remain chunky, whereas the brisket comes out almost stringy like.

As mentioned, I tweaked mine somewhat compared to his, I chucked in a table spoon of Kashmir extra hot chilli powder, I also added kidney beans and chocolate and served mine with spuds. (Baked)

Cook it. It's a deadly chilli.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Suckler

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Перцы фаршированные - Pertsy farshirovannyye - Stuffed Peppers

This is a recipe my OH grew up with in Russia, learning from her mother, and from her babushka before her.
    It's one of those recipes that would be brought out especially when guests would be coming, because you can make quite a lot if you have a big enough saucepan. We don't - so instead of making batches of 20+, we're limited to 4-5 at a time.
    It's not particularly difficult to make, and is easy to tweak to your own personal tastes or using whatever is in season.

There should be a roughly 70-30 ratio of rice to meat in the recipe.

1) Boil some rice

2) Meanwhile
    - Soften 1 finely diced onion in a frying pan, with some fresh garlic
    - Add mince and brown
    - Add a can of chopped tomatoes
    - Add grated carrots for a 1-2 minutes
    - Add some fresh herbs according to your taste, we used basil
    - Season with salt and pepper to taste
    Cook until the sauce thickens, and at this stage add the boiled rice and mix

3)
    - Cut open the lid of some bell peppers and remove the cores
    - Add the mixture from earlier and fill the the brim
    - If you have some tooth picks, you can use them to close the lid again for cooking

4)
    - Put the peppers into a large saucepan
    - Fill the suacepan with beef stock so that the peppers are almost submerged (if your using tooth picks you can submerge the peppers)
    - if you have a large enough saucepan, you can stack the peppers multiple layers high to make large batches
    - Bring to a boil, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the peppers soften
    - Remove and allow to cool slightly, before serving

5) Serve with some fresh salad and any leftover rice + meat mixture to the side

Gave this a try over the weekend; my rice mix needed more sauce and I didn't leave the first peppers simmer long enough BUT definitely will make it again. Not too much work to prepare and were a really tasty, warm & hearty meal!

Masoor Dhal with Aloo Tikki and Parathas

HUPxMYR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Am trying to recreate the Spicy Seafood Rice from the Kokoro Sushi place on Liffey St. This was actually exceptionally close, except I had no birdseye chillis so I used a spicy chilli & fried garlic in oil for heat.

rWYtrvOh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Slow roast shoulder of lamb with boulangere potatoes. It was my first time doing spuds that way. Top was nice & crispy, bottom went to mush. Very tasty, but needs work.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Shenshen wrote: »

Have you ever ovened the Aloo Tikki? I looked up a recipe and they look lovely but not a big fan of deep or shallow frying things.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Slow roast shoulder of lamb with boulangere potatoes. It was my first time doing spuds that way. Top was nice & crispy, bottom went to mush. Very tasty, but needs work.

Never heard of boulangere potatoes. They sound lovely. Most give them a try some time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It can be tricky getting the amount of stock just right. The first few times I made it I used far too much, now I put in just enough to come halfway up the depth of the potatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Chicken Kevin on a bed of Rocket, Broccoli Mash and Sweetcorn.

756-C45-DC-1-F69-4579-B2-D0-65-F994-E2-A288.jpgpicture host

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Who’s Kevin? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

<Please don't quote pictures>

Your parathas look delish. Can I ask for the recipe / if you have any tips on the lovely finish you got on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Dzb_FUqWwAEJA37.jpg

Nokotan wrote: »
    Have you ever ovened the Aloo Tikki? I looked up a recipe and they look lovely but not a big fan of deep or shallow frying things.

I actually made these in the air fryer.
    I find it hard to get things crispy in the oven, but the air fryer works really, really well for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

RasTa wrote: »
    Peas/bean on toast

Is this nice as a mix? I can't be the only one who likes all the components individually but wondering if they go together :D

Stargazer7 wrote: »

<Please don't quote pictures>

Your parathas look delish. Can I ask for the recipe / if you have any tips on the lovely finish you got on them?

I can give you a rough recipe - I'm not very good with measuring things, so quantities are estimates.

Dough :
    5 heaped tbsp of Chapati flour
    Some warm water
    Pinch of salt

Filling :
    1 medium boiled potato, mashed
    1 tsp of garam masala
    1/2 tsp of chili
    1/2 tsp of turmeric
    1 tsp of chopped coriander
    1 ts of chopped mint
    Salt to taste

To make the dough, add the water a little at a time to the flour, stirring with your hand until it's a smooth, soft-ish dough. It shouldn't feel hard (add more water if it does) and it shouldn't be sticky (add more flour).
    Knead it for a few minutes, then cover and let it rest for ca 30 minutes.

To make the filling, simply mix all the listed ingredients together.

To make the parathas, take a small quantity of dough (ping pong ball size) and roll it out into a ca 10 cm diameter circle. Place a small quantity of filling in the middle, and fold the dough up around it. Make sure you don't fold n any air, and that you close the dough firmly.
    Roll this out again, applying very little pressure, until you have a thin paratha.
    Have a very shallow and wide pan on the hob at the highest temperature. Don't add any oil, these are best cooked dry.
    Place the paratha on the pan, turn it over after ca 1 - 2 minutes and cook for another 30 sec - 1 minute. You should see it inflating a little while it's cooking.
    Remove from the pan and brush the top with a little butter, ghee or oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I actually made these in the air fryer.
    I find it hard to get things crispy in the oven, but the air fryer works really, really well for that!

Good idea. I actually tried them in the oven since posting and they aren't as nice compared to fried but only by about 5%. Still delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

I can give you a rough recipe - I'm not very good with measuring things, so quantities are estimates.

Dough :
    5 heaped tbsp of Chapati flour
    Some warm water
    Pinch of salt

Filling :
    1 medium boiled potato, mashed
    1 tsp of garam masala
    1/2 tsp of chili
    1/2 tsp of turmeric
    1 tsp of chopped coriander
    1 ts of chopped mint
    Salt to taste

To make the dough, add the water a little at a time to the flour, stirring with your hand until it's a smooth, soft-ish dough. It shouldn't feel hard (add more water if it does) and it shouldn't be sticky (add more flour).
    Knead it for a few minutes, then cover and let it rest for ca 30 minutes.

To make the filling, simply mix all the listed ingredients together.

To make the parathas, take a small quantity of dough (ping pong ball size) and roll it out into a ca 10 cm diameter circle. Place a small quantity of filling in the middle, and fold the dough up around it. Make sure you don't fold n any air, and that you close the dough firmly.
    Roll this out again, applying very little pressure, until you have a thin paratha.
    Have a very shallow and wide pan on the hob at the highest temperature. Don't add any oil, these are best cooked dry.
    Place the paratha on the pan, turn it over after ca 1 - 2 minutes and cook for another 30 sec - 1 minute. You should see it inflating a little while it's cooking.
    Remove from the pan and brush the top with a little butter, ghee or oil.

Thanks so much for that - I usually make flatbreads with chickpea flour but it's been ages since I've tried parathas....and it's good to know I'm not the only one that wings it with quantities from habit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Is this nice as a mix? I can't be the only one who likes all the components individually but wondering if they go together :D

Picture was stolen from Rate my Plate on Facebook.

Advertisement