Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia College post Primary

Options
  • 15-02-2019 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi so I’m thinking about applying for the post Primary course (English and geography)there is a couple of questions I would love if someone could help me out with them if possible, thanks in advance.....

1. What type of questions are you asked in the interview.
    2. When does placement occur over the two years.
    3. Is finding a school extremely hard, should I start looking now?
    4. Can both references come from the one person?

If anyone could answer at least one I would be super great full. Thanks again

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Moved to Teaching and Lecturing.

There is no shortage of teachers in either of those subjects. Please think long and hard before committing yourself to an expensive course that you may not get a job out of.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

spurious wrote: »
    Moved to Teaching and Lecturing.

There is no shortage of teachers in either of those subjects. Please think long and hard before committing yourself to an expensive course that you may not get a job out of.

Most people on here don't listen to this advice, do the course, then seem to regret it! It's no joke not being able to get full hours, going from school to school, always starting over making new friends. Make sure you fully research this before splashing the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Would it be better to consider the subjects most sought after? I'm sure Irish is there.
    Joe McHugh the former minister for culture and now education made a great attempt to speak it which shows it can be done and it would ensure you've work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 COHLOE

Hi so I’m thinking about applying for the post Primary course (English and geography)there is a couple of questions I would love if someone could help me out with them if possible, thanks in advance.....

1. What type of questions are you asked in the interview.
    2. When does placement occur over the two years.
    3. Is finding a school extremely hard, should I start looking now?
    4. Can both references come from the one person?

If anyone could answer at least one I would be super great full. Thanks again
    Hi! know this is a long shot that you will see this but I haves my interview Monday on these subjects and am finding it really hard to prepare. would you be able to tell me the sort of questions you were asked? anything would help.
    hope you see this. thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I’d say you’d be asked for examples of times you’ve worked with young people. Your interests. What skills you think are important for a teacher to have. Your opinion on Junior Cycle English ( have a look at jct.ie for both subjects), what do you know about child protection procedures? ( see Children First).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 COHLOE

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I’d say you’d be asked for examples of times you’ve worked with young people. Your interests. What skills you think are important for a teacher to have. Your opinion on Junior Cycle English ( have a look at jct.ie for both subjects), what do you know about child protection procedures? ( see Children First).
    Your a star thank you so much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Here’s a general list of PGCE related questions for the UK that you should be prepared to answer.

https://www.studential.com/university/applying/UCAS-application-guide/interviews/PGCE-questions

Best of luck on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Would it be better to consider the subjects most sought after? I'm sure Irish is there.
    Joe McHugh the former minister for culture and now education made a great attempt to speak it which shows it can be done and it would ensure you've work.

Irish not there. After 5 years looking for work as an Irish teacher after 16 years experience I have left teaching. All there is is subbing work looking for scraps of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Snapgal wrote: »
    Irish not there. After 5 years looking for work as an Irish teacher after 16 years experience I have left teaching. All there is is subbing work looking for scraps of hours.

Sorry to hear that snap gal. I was reading before the summer that few schools in galway couldn't find teachers to teach through Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

Snapgal wrote: »

I'm shocked and also saddened to read you have had to leave teaching! I thought Irish was a guarantee to a CID! Can I ask what area of work are you transitioning to?

I teach MFL and I see the vast majority of jobs out there are fixed term / purpose or too few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

There is work but all you are wanted for is for short term yearly contracts.Do not listen to people or believe what you read. I was in a school near my home place after leaving a CID position after 12 years to be promised teacher was retiring the next year so would would on my own full hours but I know for certain that was not reappointed due to politics - I could write a book on the injustice of hiring teachers in post primary schools - the unions do not care. it is so frustrating when I hear people saw "oh you have Irish, sure you will walk straight into a CID job". I don't have relations or links unfortunately. I am actually going to be working in a local shop - do not know yet what to do at my age going back to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭Dickie10

christ im shocked to hear this too, was always of the opinion you could get any job with irish. secondary teaching is a cold house toward young people badly relying on it for a mortgage etc. so casualised now

Advertisement