Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'trampoline wars' FG Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

kitten_k wrote: »
    We got our house keys today :-)

Congrats kitten, where did you leave them in the first place? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Necro wrote: »
    Congrats kitten, where did you leave them in the first place? :D

In the fridge :-p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

kitten_k wrote: »
    In the fridge :-p

Distractions from Valentine's Day eh ;)

Anyone do anything nice for V-Day?

The joys of young children meant we spent it home this year, Steak and Cheesecake were on the menu though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Necro wrote: »
    Distractions from Valentine's Day eh ;)

Anyone do anything nice for V-Day?

The joys of young children meant we spent it home this year, Steak and Cheesecake were on the menu though :D

I didn't think people actually did things for valentines day! well not like real grown up people!

I didn't think people actually did things for valentines day! well not like real grown up people!

We'd usually go out for dinner but not getting the chance this year with work and kids :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Congrats Kkkitten!!

I brought home a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates which were shared out. Too poor after Christmas to do much else :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Congrats Kitten.

I came home from work exhausted and vegged in front of the tv. Like always. No special Valentines for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Congrats Kitten. Great news.

My valentines was spent doing physics questions for lesson prep. Unreal craic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I hate the “AIBU” thing on mumsnet etc, but I am having a “AIBU” moment. (AIBU = am I being unreasonable)

I have a friend. We are good friends. She has a child, and since said child was born, it’s like I have ceased to exist. I understand that the child takes precedence over absolutely everything, but it would be nice to be able to finish a sentence without being interrupted to look at something cute the child is doing.

Example. We went for lunch today. The baby is adorable and I really do like her. She’s 1. The baby was chatting to everyone, as they do, but my friend pretty much ignored me and spoke to everyone that the baby looked at to explain all about the baby, ask about their families, and just generally forgetting I existed!!! I reckon I spoke for about 6 minutes in the hour and a half that we sat for lunch.

I understand that I don’t “get” the whole “being a mammy” thing, but it feels fairly crap to be ignored so that “mammy stories” can be shared with strangers.

Unless my conversation skills are that poor!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

It's hormones and Stockholm syndrome combined. Tis a heady mix. I don't think she is doing it on purpose if that's any consolation.

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »
    It's hormones and Stockholm syndrome combined. Tis a heady mix. I don't think she is doing it on purpose if that's any consolation.

Oh I know it’s not on purpose! It’s just hilarious how invisible one can become!!!

sullivlo wrote:
    Oh I know it’s not on purpose! It’s just hilarious how invisible one can become!!!

If she runs a bank in her spare time you should take advantage of the situation and Rob said bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

sullivlo wrote: »
    I hate the “AIBU” thing on mumsnet etc, but I am having a “AIBU” moment.

I have a friend. We are good friends. She has a child, and since said child was born, it’s like I have ceased to exist. I understand that the child takes precedence over absolutely everything, but it would be nice to be able to finish a sentence without being interrupted to look at something cute the child is doing.

Example. We went for lunch today. The baby is adorable and I really do like her. She’s 1. The baby was chatting to everyone, as they do, but my friend pretty much ignored me and spoke to everyone that the baby looked at to explain all about the baby, ask about their families, and just generally forgetting I existed!!! I reckon I spoke for about 6 minutes in the hour and a half that we sat for lunch.

I understand that I don’t “get” the whole “being a mammy” thing, but it feels fairly crap to be ignored so that “mammy stories” can be shared with strangers.

Unless my conversation skills are that poor!!!!!!!

The reasonable thing to do would be to put a brackets near "AIBU" (am i being unreasonable), like that, so others don't have to google it.

As for new mum, i'd liken it to a friend of yours who doesnt care for bikes meets up with you on a day you just bought a super sick new racer bike, and lots of bike lovers were walking by and complementing you on your sweet new bike.
    But, this maybe happens for a day or two with a new bike, and it lasts years with children.
    Either learn to like the little bags of blubber, or don't. The new mum has an attachment to the new bag of blubber that means more to her than anything she has ever 'owned' before, like maybe a magic flying multicoloured speed bike would be a close comparison.

sKeith wrote:
    As for new mum, i'd liken it to a friend of yours who doesnt care for bikes meets up with you on a day you just bought a super sick new racer bike, and lots of bike lovers were walking by and complementing you on your sweet new bike. But, this maybe happens for a day or two with a new bike, and it lasts years with children. Either learn to like the little bags of blubber, or don't. The new mum has an attachment to the new bag of blubber that means more to her than anything she has ever 'owned' before, like maybe a magic flying multicoloured speed bike would be a close comparison.

I think it's more akin to being out with someone who spends an inordinate amount of time talking to other people on the phone. Obviously pay attention to your baby like, but if you want to spend time with me spend time with me not chatting to strangers or on the phone!
    I believe you're not being unreasonable!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

The baby is controlling your friend telepathically, getting her to ignore you is the baby's way of exerting its dominance.

Fours right. Classic power play

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Exactly and also sKeith above has said the baby is a bag of blubber, this means it's a cetacean and thus has an advantage in water combat. That sounds like a tough opponent. I'm not going to lie to you sullivlo, I don't like your odds. Good luck.

I think it's more akin to being out with someone who spends an inordinate amount of time talking to other people on the phone. Obviously pay attention to your baby like, but if you want to spend time with me spend time with me not chatting to strangers or on the phone!
    This. She had the following conversations while i was there:
    - the man beside us: just a quick “she’s fascinated by your beard” type of conversation
    - the waiter(s): we were ages waiting to order food because the waiters all had to have a cuddle with the baby
    - a woman she knows: twice, 2 minutes the first time, longer the second time
    - the women at the next table: entire life story. I know more about those two women than I ever needed
    - the owner of the coffee shop: 4 minutes (I made a phone call for this one)
    - another waitress: discussing how she looks like someone she knows, and then spent ages finding photos to show her to compare

All of this in 1h30m. I have a lot of RL stuff going on. She knows, but didn’t once ask about any of it.

And Keith - absolutely not like a new bike!! It wasn’t the kid that was the issue - I love the kid. Had it been an opportunity for me to sit and chat to the kid, I would have been fine with that. I was essentially ignored for the entire time we were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I think that's an incredibly unfair comparison, but a lot depends on the age of the baby. It's not usually wilful neglect of adults.

Generally speaking mothers of young babies are subsistance sleeping and have nothing in their head but "baby baby baby" so it's all they're capable of talking about even if they might rather be out talking about and doing and thinking other things. Sulli, Instead of catching up with your friend, offer to take the baby while she has a lie down or god forbid a ****e with the door closed. In years to come she'll remember that you did.

Banjo wrote: »
    I think that's an incredibly unfair comparison, but a lot depends on the age of the baby. It's not usually wilful neglect of adults.

Generally speaking mothers of young babies are substance sleeping and have nothing in their head but "baby baby baby" so it's all they're capable of talking about even if they might rather be out talking about and doing and thinking other things. Sulli, Instead of catching up with your friend, offer to take the baby while she has a lie down or god forbid a ****e with the door closed. In years to come she'll remember that you did.
    The baby is 1. Sleeps through the night, and no matter how many times I have offered she never accepts the offer of minding the child.

When she was still a baby baby, I went to her house every Monday and let her have a shower and watched the baby.

She was perfectly capable of having a conversation with everyone else, she just ignored me!

• Advertisement

1? Feck her so! :)

Banjo wrote:

It's not really about the baby though, I have friends with newborns and obviously they pay attention to them while we're chatting. They have to, and they want to, and that's normal. It's the agreeing to go out with a friend and then ignoring said friend in order to have chats with absolute strangers about the baby. Like if you have a baby and want to talk to strangers about it, that's a totally viable option ppl love to talk to new mom's in parks etc. Just don't sit there and ignore your friends to talk to someone who literally means nothing to you

It's not really about the baby though, I have friends with newborns and obviously they pay attention to them while we're chatting. They have to, and they want to, and that's normal. It's the agreeing to go out with a friend and then ignoring said friend in order to have chats with absolute strangers about the baby. Like if you have a baby and want to talk to strangers about it, that's a totally viable option ppl love to talk to new mom's in parks etc. Just don't sit there and ignore your friends to talk to someone who literally means nothing to you

Particularly when the friend has bought lunch ;)

She asked me to go out for lunch. I obliged. She spent the entire time talking to strangers about the child. That’s my issue. Not the child.

I never want to see a zambuca again. Ever

SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS!!

I had that feeling the night of my 18th birthday. It never really passed.

When the fire didn't kill it, that should have been warning enough....

so I'm watching this super cute video of cutie otters eating with their little handies and then into my brain pops "otters rape for fun you know"

DAMN YOU SULLY!!

Work likely think I'm mental now. Got a survey out from the social club about games/activites we'd participate in. Had the usual stuff on it; Draughts, Chess, Darts, Cards, Pool etc.

And in the 'Other' option Necro recommends: Werewolf, D&D and other tabletop RPGs :pac:

• Advertisement

This is how they will find out how much WW you have been playing during work Necro. :D

Advertisement