Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoibos Ocean master automatic

Options
  • 09-02-2019 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭

Went to pull the trigger on this chinese watch today, but it's out of stock on the European site. Great spec for little money.

5-40063-1511405764.jpg

It's getting great reviews (as are phoibus in general) and I'd like to think that phoibos are like the Japanese manufacturers in the 60s and 70s, heading for greatness.

https://youtu.be/bWOF0I4WUJo

Anyway, I'm interested in your opinions. I know brand snobs will abound, but in my own opinion its nice to try something different every so often!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Looks exactly like the Deep Blue Pro Sea Diver.

https://www.deepbluewatches.com/proseadi10br4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

That's because the Deeps and Steinhart are made in the same factory.

Tisell are popular in that price range also.
    shop2.tisellkr.cafe24.com
    (there is a European dealer also, more expensive but with VAT pre-paid and surely easier for returns etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Went to pull the trigger on this chinese watch today, but it's out of stock on the European site. Great spec for little money.

5-40063-1511405764.jpg

It's getting great reviews (as are phoibus in general) and I'd like to think that phoibos are like the Japanese manufacturers in the 60s and 70s, heading for greatness.

https://youtu.be/bWOF0I4WUJo

Anyway, I'm interested in your opinions. I know brand snobs will abound, but in my own opinion its nice to try something different every so often!

It's a solid watch no doubt, we'll made and reliable but destined for greatness may be a stretch. Suppose it depends on your definition of greatness, but comming from a factory that produces parts for multiple brands, I'd say it doesn't do anything to distinguish itself. The fact that its identical to the deep blue offering says a lot, it's a brand thet sources decent parts and people to make them and put them together affordable. Nothing the makes it stand out though.

Long time since I checked out deep blue but I see they now have an "homage" to the seiko skx! Nh35 movement to boot!

If I didn't value seiko history, full in house manufacturing and have a cult level like of the seiko skx, I could be tempted!

• Advertisement

Yeah, greatness is a word I probably shouldn't have used :) I do however think it's a very solid everyday watch for small money, and it's something a little bit different. Looking forward to getting it now! I also have a baby monster on the way. I'm going to have to release a couple of watches back into the wild.
    Thanks for the tisell link, I'll check it out now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Let us know how it goes when it arrives, is it a seiko NH 35 movement?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

D'ya know what, I've been finding it difficult to order from them and in the meantime after some more research I'm leaning more towards a sea - gull ocean star in green.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32949198975.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32949198975&productSubject=Limited-Edition-Seagull-Ocean-Star-816-92-1203-Automatic-30Bar-Submarine-Men-s-Diving-Swimming-Sport
    Seagull seem to be the best Chinese watches now, in house too.
    The only thing is, are the watches on aliexpress the real deal? Are there Chinese clones of Chinese watches now?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If you like that you'd probably also like the Steinhart Ocean Green Vintage 43? Swiss watch with swiss very decent ETA 2824-2 movement for similar money.

SteinhartOCEANone39greenL.jpg

(clearly a Rolex Kermit homage)

Or is that not green enough for ya? :p

Unkel yer actually right, tis not green enough! I seriously considered making an offer on your steinhart but the scratched bezel put me off. Would you not consider ordering a replacement?

• Advertisement

****e, now you have me looking for a steinhart 43. Can't find any for sale though.

Unkel yer actually right, tis not green enough! I seriously considered making an offer on your steinhart but the scratched bezel put me off. Would you not consider ordering a replacement?

They're out of stock, I looked;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It's a tiny scratch really. Prominent in a close up picture, but barely noticeable on the wrist. Doesn't bother me at all!

But I guess it could be a turn off for people who want their watches to be in 100% mint condition. I'm a bit of the opposite view :)

unkel wrote: »
    It's a tiny scratch really. Prominent in a close up picture, but barely noticeable on the wrist. Doesn't bother me at all!

But I guess it could be a turn off for people who want their watches to be in 100% mint condition. I'm a bit of the opposite view :)

It wouldn't bother me either, I've even managed to scratch a Damasko case:o, I'm surprised nobody went for it at your price.

I think a replacement bezel is only 19 or 20 quid, so when they're back in stock I'd say it would definitely be worthwhile. Anyway, in an inebriated state last night I pulled the trigger on a very green sea-gull. :rolleyes:
    Pics to follow on arrival.

Advertisement