Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sea eagles

Options
  • 14-08-2014 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Heading to Mountshannon tomorrow,any chance of seeing he eagles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mountshannon-White-Tailed-Sea-Eagles/457101757698020?fref=ts
    The link is the Facebook page for the Mountshannon Sea-Eagles. The chick has fledged now, but the parents would still be feeding it. Ask on the Facebook page if they are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭emo72

im heading over that area soon. is there any eagles there? i had a quick google and it looks like a pair of them died last year sadly. id love to see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

emo72 wrote: »
    im heading over that area soon. is there any eagles there? i had a quick google and it looks like a pair of them died last year sadly. id love to see them again.

2 died of bird flu last year including the breeding female - I believe the Male is still in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

There were a pair nesting on garnish island near Beara peninsula about 3 years ago, unbelievably large in person, though the tag on them slightly took from the wonder of seeing them. Anyone know are they still there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Is there any news on breeding from 2018?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭emo72

I'm here right now. Nothing to report.

Edit... It was a cold windy day. The observation deck with scopes isn't there anymore. Nothing really happening at all. Maybe it's the time of year. Anyway, hopefully something develops this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^

that observation hut is usually set up during spring/summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

My father & brother saw a dead eagle on the side of a road near Drogheda at the weekend.
    It looked like it had been feed on a dead pheasant when it got hit by a car.

The body was then collected by someone because it was gone 30 minutes later when they came back with a camera!

Im hoping it wasnt one of the wild ones.
    They stated that the talons were about the size of their hands so thats how I've ruled it out as being a buzzard.

I wasn't aware of any eagles living in that area of the country so i was wondering if it was an escapee from Newgrange falconry centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

My father & brother saw a dead eagle on the side of a road near Drogheda at the weekend.
    It looked like it had been feed on a dead pheasant when it got hit by a car.

The body was then collected by someone because it was gone 30 minutes later when they came back with a camera!

Im hoping it wasnt one of the wild ones.
    They stated that the talons were about the size of their hands so thats how I've ruled it out as being a buzzard.

I wasn't aware of any eagles living in that area of the country so i was wondering if it was an escapee from Newgrange falconry centre.

More than likely a Buzzard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Buzzards are very common in that area & thats the first thing I said to them.
    But they are insistent on the size of it and they have seen buzzards before.

Ive reported it to goldeneagle.ie just in case.
    I didnt see any sightings of eagles on irishbirding.ie in the area recently so maybe it was just a buzzard.
    A scottish eagle was seen in the area in 2016 though.

Advertisement