Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Partner and abortion

• 11-02-2019 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

We are not looking for medical advice just a general query regarding abortion procedures.

My partner went to our GP to request an abortion,they do not provide this service and referred her to another GP with all the details including date of conception. Based on the information on line stating that conformation needs to made about date of conception before the 72 hour waiting period,does the 72 hour period starts from the original visit to her GP or will it start from the appointment with the new gp? Provided she is going to the new gp with all this information from her previous GP after her examined her etc

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

From the HSE website they state that your partner must be certified that she is no more than 12 weeks pregnant and then 72 hours later can perform the procedure so as long as her GP has done all this I don't believe she will need to wait another 72 hours with the new GP but maybe another boardsie can confirm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

Can't offer any advice as I don't have a clue! But a quick google search got up the HSE website which has a free phone number for advice 1800 828 010 they should be able to give you the info you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Barkwoofello

Can't offer any advice as I don't have a clue! But a quick google search got up the HSE website which has a free phone number for advice 1800 828 010 they should be able to give you the info you need.

We did ring them,unfortunately they didn't know, we are not here to give out about the service they provide but we thought they would know as we can't be the first person in this situation. Some gps don't provide the service so must refer people on and this would be an issue that arises.

Hopefully when we meet the new GP they can let us know.

Thanks for you reply

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

New GP might go with 72 hours from your new appointment just to cover themselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

The Citizen's Information website would indicate that once your partner has a doctor's certification about the date of conception, then she may have a termination performed 72 hours thereafter:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_services/women_s_health/unplanned_pregnancy.html#l7cc72

It's not absolutely clear though and there's not much available online about that kind of situation either. But judging by the above link, there shouldn't be any need for the 3 day period to start upon referral to a 2nd GP as far as I can work out.

Hope that was of some help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

wiggle16 wrote: »
    The Citizen's Information website would indicate that once your partner has a doctor's certification about the date of conception, then she may have a termination performed 72 hours thereafter:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_services/women_s_health/unplanned_pregnancy.html#l7cc72

It's not absolutely clear though and there's not much available online about that kind of situation either. But judging by the above link, there shouldn't be any need for the 3 day period to start upon referral to a 2nd GP as far as I can work out.

Hope that was of some help.

That what I understood from the site too but as you and OP says from calling myoptions it's not exactly clear and as abortion has only been legal for a short time information such as this is limited. I wont ask OP to update us but I do hope this kind of information is clarified in the future for people going through the same situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Please be careful that you contact the correct MyOptions website/phone number and NOT the dangerous man who has put up a fake website with a similar name.

The HSE website has a 1800 number, the scammer has an 089 number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Is there any way to report this dodgy website to any body or authority to take it down as it is clearly masquerading as another site and giving out unreliable alarmist and sensationalist information targeted at vulnerable people?

Is there any way to report this dodgy website to any body or authority to take it down as it is clearly masquerading as another site and giving out unreliable alarmist and sensationalist information targeted at vulnerable people?

The HSE have taken legal action against him.

He should also be prosecuted under GDPR as he accessed and processed someones personal data (one that we know of), but I dont know who would be responsible for making that happen.

While often criticised, fair play to the HSE for their prompt action against this dangerous crank.
    It perplexes me how some of the most outlandish and vocal anti-choicers are men. It's a control thing and they are usually dangerous and regressive.

• Advertisement

While often criticised, fair play to the HSE for their prompt action against this dangerous crank.

Absolutely, and I believe that it is important that people such as you and I, who are aware that there is a dangerous scammer attempting to harm women out there - that we raise awareness by giving the warning about the scam website whenever we see the subject being discussed.

Its an important one to spread the word about.

If data was breached that's going to be part of the charge and investigated. That's up to the DPP and Data Protection Commission. It's crazy that it happened at all.

I actually tried contacting Citizen's Information to ask if they would update and clarify on the site about when the 3 day waiting period starts as it's ambiguous for the situation above, which is not going to be an uncommon one, but they don't have a direct contact for feedback unfortunately, which is a pity since it's a great site.

I'm going to close this thread this evening if the OP has no objection, as it's likely they've got their answer from the GP by now.

wiggle16 wrote: »
    If data was breached that's going to be part of the charge and investigated. That's up to the DPP and Data Protection Commission. It's crazy that it happened at all.

I actually tried contacting Citizen's Information to ask if they would update and clarify on the site about when the 3 day waiting period starts as it's ambiguous for the situation above, which is not going to be an uncommon one, but they don't have a direct contact for feedback unfortunately, which is a pity since it's a great site.

I'm going to close this thread this evening if the OP has no objection, as it's likely they've got their answer from the GP by now.

Thanks, we will find out tonight as today was the earliest gp appointment

I appreciate peoples concern but talking about fraudsters and data protection breaches isn't helping answer our post.

I will update when I get a chance just in case anyone else is in a similar situation and wants to know

Update:

So the new GP is covering himself and starting the 72 hour waiting period before allowing the termination to begin.

Not ideal especially in circumstance where timing is critical but we can't argue with him as it's his decision

Hopefully the HSE,whoever drafted the legislation or a future court case can resolve this by allowing then 72 hour wait time to begin from the first GP consultation and not from the referred to GPs one as it's a difficult matter already and to make someone wait twice as long is unfair

Unless you are right up against the 12 week limit then it shouldn't really make that much difference. If one was caught out they could always go to a completely different GP or clinic and fudge the pregnancy start date by claiming the last period was a week or so later it actually was and this will buy some time.

Worst case scenario is that they have to go UK for the same treatment.

Update:

So the new GP is covering himself and starting the 72 hour waiting period before allowing the termination to begin.

Not ideal especially in circumstance where timing is critical but we can't argue with him as it's his decision

Hopefully the HSE,whoever drafted the legislation or a future court case can resolve this by allowing then 72 hour wait time to begin from the first GP consultation and not from the referred to GPs one as it's a difficult matter already and to make someone wait twice as long is unfair

I can understand why the new GP is doing this but it shouldnt be the case.

I think we will see this before the courts at some stage.

Hi OP

Thank you for the update. That really illustrates the ambiguity involved and the need for clarification.

I'm going to close the thread now as I don't think there's anything more to add and while the question itself hasn't been resolved, at least you know the answer in your case OP.

Thanks & grma all who posted. Take care OP.

Thread locked

The Op would like to add the following:

The GP says he can only perform an abortion up to 9 weeks, from 9 weeks on it has to be done in a hospital, the reason its significant is because a lot of people don't know there pregnant until 5-6 weeks and any delay in time brings them closure to having to go to a hospital to have it done there.

Just thought I'd put that for anyone in for anyone in our situation.

Thanks OP

Thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement