Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to spray Roundup?

Options
  • 15-10-2018 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭

As above really, I have a lot of weeds that need treatment, is it too late for glyphosate even with forecasted dry weather this week?

Thanks

Comments

Let your conscience be your guide. I haven't used the stuff in years, but a dry and near calm day like this one is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

veetwin wrote:
    As above really, I have a lot of weeds that need treatment, is it too late for glyphosate even with forecasted dry weather this week?

Perfect day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭blackbox

When the weather is cooler it just takes much longer for the plants to die back (compared to when there is active growth).

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Think about the health implications, damage to the environment and wildlife, especially bees and other pollinators that you'll be relying on. Forget about Monsanto carcinogenic poison and chose another method.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Weeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Maybe you would consider burning them off.

https://www.lenehans.ie/weed-wand.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭standardg60

Think about the health implications, damage to the environment and wildlife, especially bees and other pollinators that you'll be relying on. Forget about Monsanto carcinogenic poison and chose another method.

Talk about answering a question that wasn't asked!

Op it's fine to use it..it'll just take a bit longer for the effects to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Best thing I discovered recently was a liberal amount of table salt dissolved in white vinegar, with a little dishwasher soap mixed in th help adhere to the foliage. Mist it liberally over the weeds and within a week they’re gone.

Did it earlier In the year and haven’t seen a return of them. Leave out the salt if you want anything to grow there again, keep it in for paved areas etc.

So much cheaper & a better result as far as I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Odelay

Just buy a 25kg bad of fine salt from a dairygold farm store. They only cost about €7 and sprinkle over the Tarmac.

Its not suitable for earth areas as nothing will grow there for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

OU812 wrote: »
    Best thing I discovered recently was a liberal amount of table salt dissolved in white vinegar, with a little dishwasher soap mixed in th help adhere to the foliage. Mist it liberally over the weeds and within a week they’re gone.

Did it earlier In the year and haven’t seen a return of them. Leave out the salt if you want anything to grow there again, keep it in for paved areas etc.

So much cheaper & a better result as far as I can see

Next get some soil microarthropods, worms etc & put your mixture on them.

It amazes me how people can be critical of roundup & then put a pile of toxic chemical on the weeds.

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »

It amazes me how people can be critical of roundup & then put a pile of toxic chemical on the weeds.

When was I critical of roundup? And how are salt & vinegar chemicals (I'll give you credit with the teaspoon of dishwashing soap)???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Op, as long as it’s going to be dry for the following 6 hours youd be good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I have a part time job in a big home improvement center here in the states.  Roundup product is in my department. Roundup works best with temps between 53 and 77 degrees Fahrenheit, although it is effective in lower and higher temps as well.

As a side note we’re not allowed to answer customer questions regarding the safety of using Roundup following the monsterous award with a recent lawsuit against Monsanto.  We are to either offer them alternatives or direct them to a company toll free number where they can get the official company policy.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

When was I critical of roundup? And how are salt & vinegar chemicals (I'll give you credit with the teaspoon of dishwashing soap)???

Sodium Chloride & Acetic Acid are both chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

What would you recommend instead?

Sodium Chloride & Acetic Acid are both chemicals.

The inference was that they were harmful manufactured chemicals (like roundup), Water is a chemical too, do you avoid that?

The inference was that they were harmful manufactured chemicals (like roundup), Water is a chemical too, do you avoid that?

Salt and vinegar are also manufactured, as is drinking water arguably, but the point is that whether something is manufactured has no bearing on whether it is harmful. Nature is full of toxins.

A weedkiller is by definition deadly.

The issues are selectivity and degradability.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The problem is Roundup targets the same thing in plants that is in the gut bacteria of honey bees ( little bees don't gain weight as well ) Some strains of Snodgrassella alvi have an alternative way of dealing with the Roundup

No bees = we all starve to death in a year or two

gctest50 wrote: »
    The problem is Roundup targets the same thing in plants that is in the gut bacteria of honey bees ( little bees don't gain weight as well ) Some strains of Snodgrassella alvi have an alternative way of dealing with the Roundup

From what I have read that is a theory. Honey bee toxicity tests were standard when I worked in the industry 25 years ago - I know because I did them but not with Glyco. Spraying in the evening/early morning would reduce the contact with bees.

Lumen wrote: »
    Salt and vinegar are also manufactured, as is drinking water arguably, but the point is that whether something is manufactured has no bearing on whether it is harmful. Nature is full of toxins.

A weedkiller is by definition deadly.

The issues are selectivity and degradability.

The key is that any weedkiller must bond with the soil on contact & become inert. Roundup is very safe in that regard.

• Advertisement

The key is that any weedkiller must bond with the soil on contact & become inert. Roundup is very safe in that regard.

That's not entirely true. Firstly, it takes time for the Roundup to be biodegraded. Secondly, not all the Roundup gets bound in the soil. A small amount, perhaps a couple of percent, can get washed into groundwater. Thirdly, as with all things, correct application technique is critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Salt is Sodium Chloride and Vinegar is Acetic Acid. Where did you (not) go to school?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

latest news on this:

Exposure to weed killing products increases risk of cancer by 41% – study
    Evidence ‘supports link’ between exposures to glyphosate herbicides and increased risk for non-Hodgkin lymphoma
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/14/weed-killing-products-increase-cancer-risk-of-cancer

latest news on this:

Exposure to weed killing products increases risk of cancer by 41% – study
    Evidence ‘supports link’ between exposures to glyphosate herbicides and increased risk for non-Hodgkin lymphoma
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/14/weed-killing-products-increase-cancer-risk-of-cancer

There is so much that has been found to cause cancer these days. One item I find lacking in this article is what amount of exposure increases the risk by 41%. Does casual use (such as probably 99% of the users are) equate to this high risk, or is it excessive use as in those who use it on a daily basis? Does casual use have the same risk factor to causing cancer as perhaps alcohol consumption?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭onlyonpaper

Guys; Help please; Hate Round up and would be glad to be shot of all those sprays but I have an infestation of Maretails over a large garden and it keeps spreading. At this time of year it sitting happily underground gathering strength and waiting for April to arrive and millions of those bloody stems will appear. In the past I have tried Round up and Neudorff and all the really done was kill the grass and gave more space for the Marestail to spread. Any revolutionary thoughts would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

gctest50 wrote: »

Total BS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

notobtuse wrote: »
    Does casual use have the same risk factor to causing cancer as perhaps alcohol consumption?
    i'm not going to speculate whether it does or not, but the two are not remotely compatible; anyone who drinks knows the risks.
    anyone exposed to roundup is being reassured by the manufacturer that it is fine, and even if you choose not to be exposed, you're going to fail because you're going to be exposed at some point anyway.

Guys; Help please; Hate Round up and would be glad to be shot of all those sprays but I have an infestation of Maretails over a large garden and it keeps spreading. At this time of year it sitting happily underground gathering strength and waiting for April to arrive and millions of those bloody stems will appear. In the past I have tried Round up and Neudorff and all the really done was kill the grass and gave more space for the Marestail to spread. Any revolutionary thoughts would be appreciated.

I work part time in a home improvement center in the USA. Weed killers are within my department. There are different formulas to Round Up. One that kills weeds for 2 months, one for 4 months, and one kills weeds for a year.

You can find manufactured alternatives to Round Up. Look for ones that use 2-Phenethyl Proprionate and Eugenol as it’s active ingredient. Or ones with ammonium nonanoate, or soap salt as the active ingredients.

Other manufactured product alternatives include Diquat (Reward™), pelargonic acid (Scythe™), and glufosinate (Finale™).

A completely safe alternative includes:
    1 cup epsom salt
    1 Cup white vinegar
    ½ Cup dish washing detergent.
    Add to spray bottle spray liberally on weeds. Repeat as necessary.

Or you can use straight vinegar, or orange oil, or boiling hot water

But I think your problem will continue as weed killers deal with postemergents and any weeds underground that have not emerged will continue to grow.

Bottom line… Nothing beats a shovel and hand weeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

notobtuse wrote: »
    There are different formulas to Round Up. One that kills weeds for 2 months, one for 4 months, and one kills weeds for a year.

How does this work? Are you saying the weeds will come back?
    Roundup won't work on weeds that aren't there yet, correct? So spraying today can't kill dandelions that haven't grown yet for another month/2 months/6 months.

The only roundup I have is the super concentrated stuff, which has different ratios of water to be added depending on the application.

I only use it in very strict circumstances myself. I'd never use it in my own garden.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    How does this work? Are you saying the weeds will come back?
    Roundup won't work on weeds that aren't there yet, correct? So spraying today can't kill dandelions that haven't grown yet for another month/2 months/6 months.

The only roundup I have is the super concentrated stuff, which has different ratios of water to be added depending on the application.

I only use it in very strict circumstances myself. I'd never use it in my own garden.

Yes, the weeds will come back. And yes, weeds that haven't come up yet will still emerge. There are granular pre-emergent weed killers but they only work on selective weeds and crabgrass.

Over here in the US, RoundUp in a white bottle (Weed and Grass Killer) kills weeds for 2 months, in a gold bottle (Extended Control) kills for 4 months, and in a silver bottle (365) kills for up to a year.

There is a RoundUp formula that kills weeds but not grass. It is called 'RoundUp for Lawns.'

Also, you can't kill dandelions until after they emerge.

Advertisement