Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10x42 binoculars

• 06-02-2019 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, could you recommend are decent pair of 10x42 binoculars for birdwatching? Not something in the expensive range like swarovski, maybe €100-200.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭OwlEye

Some cheap prices from here.
    https://www.sherwoods-photo.com/ex_demo/ex_demo_optics.htm

For portability and comfort I would suggest roof prism. Look for ones that are nitrogen filled to prevent fogging, and BAK-4 prisms (opposed to BAK-7).
    For the top end of your budget I would suggest these;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vortex-CF-4302-Crossfire-10x42-Binoculars/dp/B00S2P2FM6

Vortex come with a life time guarantee,even if the dog chews them Vortex will either repair or replace them,no questions asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Wailin wrote: »
    Hi folks, could you recommend are decent pair of 10x42 binoculars for birdwatching? Not something in the expensive range like swarovski, maybe €100-200.

I had been looking for quite a while for binoculars a few years back and had used my brothers Swarovski EL and got spoilt with them. He then lent me his Vortex Diamondback which were more in my price range and I thought they were just brilliant. I ended up getting the same as he had, the old model of the Vortex Diamondback 10x42 as they were on sale for £175 about 3 years ago.

The new model sells for just over £200 and they are worth every penny and also have a lifetime warranty. Go the extra few pound, it will be worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're based around dublin, might be worth ringing birdwatch ireland to see what they have in stock?
    won't be as cheap as buying online, but we were able to go down and manhandle several pairs till we found a pair we liked. got very good feedback off niall too.

they're based in kilcoole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Thanks lads. I ended up going for a pair of vanguard spirit ED 10x42. Delighted with them they are a big step up from my previous pair. Thanks for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭WildIreland

VORTEX make great bins -- I've reviewed their higher end models for Ireland's Wildlife in the past. Great optics... a fantastic warranty, and the Vortex team in the US are great to deal with.

The UK distributors, who look after customers and warranty claims this side of the Atlantic less so. My experience with them has led me to stop recommending the brand. Nothing wrong with the bins, however.

Alternatives worth considering in and around your price range that I've tried are the excellent Hawke Endurance ED (Hawke also comes with a no-fault lifetime warranty now), the Vanguard Endeavor ED, and the excellent Kite Caiman.

If you can stretch the budget a little the outstanding Vanguard Endeavor EDII (which used to retail at over €400 when I reviewed it) is currently available in 8x42 configuration on Amazon for an unbelievable GB£239 -- which is a whole lot of binocular for the money.

You'll find reviews of all the models mentioned, and a handy guide to choosing wildlife and birding binoculars, on the site if you'd like more info.

Best of luck with your search.

All the best,

Calvin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭WildIreland

Oops... sorry for the late reply -- that's what you get for leaving your browser open and not refreshing the thread before hitting the button.

Glad you got sorted... the Spirit ED is a great little binocular for the money... enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Cheers Calvin, very happy with them! Used them this morning looking at Red Kites in Wicklow.

Advertisement