Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIT ICTAP Course

Options
  • 03-03-2016 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,

I was lurking through CareerZoo the other weekend and stumbled upon this FIT ICT Associate Professional (fit(dot)ie/courses/fit-ictap/) they do courses in it which i would like to try...Systems & Networks. Website is looking very broad not saying anything too much specific about the course there. It has weekly allowance for when doing the actual working experience placed in some company (not saying which and what is done). I was wondering if anyone have tried/is doing this. I am thinking to take this i have some experience in IT but would like to gain more on systems and networking and also get a better job after. I was wondering if it is worth the time. and if somebody is doing this can tell what kind of technologies is this course using. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 demz101

I was considering leaving college for this last jan/feb for the Galway fit apprenticeship in software development. I went to the first meeting about it, didn't really learn a lot other than what's on the website. I felt they weren't very organised (that was just my first impression, i could be very wrong) and as it was going to take a few weeks to get through interviews and stuff I decided to stay in college and try to finish out the rest of first year.

Would love to hear from someone that has/is doing this? how are ye finding and do you think its a good way of getting a job and experience in IT.

Also, Killswitx^^ did you decide to go for it after?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 killswitx

hi,

i have finally decided to go for it. it was a bit strange at the begining coz i got to get on only one interview with the company (and was successful). there we go. well you are right they are bit disorganized i should say. the course should have started around like april? or soo well it started 2-3 times postponed in end of june. but there we go i am on it...well doing the training atm so that is basically doing comptia net+ (and then many other stuff could also be other industry certs). the people in FIT are alright they i think are trying to do what they can i guess. its just that its quite new now and the intreos have problem to register them..was loads of problem with that with many people (wasnt my case coz i dont take social welfare).

looks good so far or i should say its ok. you basically get on the program if you pass couple test and then interviews with the company which basically is going to be paying your for the training and then the work after 6 months. well if you get in to company you can expect that after 2 year you get most probably a contract. so and thats not bad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 killswitx

dont send me PM regarding this topic! i will not respond ask here if you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 foxy78

Hi,
    I have a bit different experience with FIT ICTAP.
    Passed aptitude test, done the interview, CV and all and that's it! Over three months waiting for a company willing to take me on. You will not get on the course until some company decide to hire you! MASSIVE WASTE OF TIME!
    Next course starts in couple of months, it will be postponed few times like the current one (starting date was changed three times), no one will guarantee that this time some company will take you on.
    So you might end up waiting another 3-5 months for nothing!! UNACCEPTABLE!!
    Before your CV will be taken under consideration, it goes trough the standard recruitment process (so to speak) in the company, which means the same rules apply as they normally would, like your age for example.
    To sum this up:
    - Bad organization
    - They don't have that many companies working with them as they claim they have
    - To many unanswered questions
    - To many unknowns
    - No different than applying for a job by your self

Overall BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Blindleader

Foxy, if all that went on then your just not as easily sellable to the companies as you think, I'm half way through this program have a great job of which I was offered from 5 different companies, there is young lads on my course that never worked in IT before or have much experience they were all given 2,3 plus job offers. Overall the course is bit awkwardly organised , but at the end of the day none of us give a damn were getting our diplomas, 3 vendor certs and the most important of all were getting 18 months employment for a company with a high chance of employment and even if we don't get further employment it don't matter as we'll have enough actual experience to apply for jobs, I'm more qualified than most on my course but there are many who don't have much xp at all and they're all doing great. Your problem I feel is that you thought this was like a career changer Jump into a new field like a college degree it's not designed for you, it's designed for people who have some experience but have tried and tried to get a job but keep getting refused due to lack of on paper experience. This is a way to bypass college bypass all the usual routes in order to get a decent job. But it's by no means something you do if you already have a job and just wanna change or if you think this is some college degree lvl stuff it's not. Overall shaky from organisation point of view but effective in what you receive at the end, much better route to go down rather than sit in ****ty repair shops for next five years to be even looked at for a call centre job, or if you can't afford or have the ability to go to college. The jobs you get are invaluable to someone just starting out working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 foxy78

Blinleader, I think you misjudged me completely. As it happens I was working in IT before, in fact I'm a front end web developer at the moment. I have loads of experience with Cisco networks, i was designing and building networks since the top internet speed was no more than 256kbps. Loads experience with sh...ty repair shops as you said, hardware/software fixing, EPROM programing/flashing etc... so it's not just the career changer as you might think. But without certs/diplomas... no chance to get a job, any of them at all!
    I'm not as sellable to the company? Probably your right, I'm almost 40!

So don't be to quick to judge whether it was design for me or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 azeemabbas

foxy78 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a bit different experience with FIT ICTAP.
    Passed aptitude test, done the interview, CV and all and that's it! Over three months waiting for a company willing to take me on. You will not get on the course until some company decide to hire you! MASSIVE WASTE OF TIME!
    Next course starts in couple of months, it will be postponed few times like the current one (starting date was changed three times), no one will guarantee that this time some company will take you on.
    So you might end up waiting another 3-5 months for nothing!! UNACCEPTABLE!!
    Before your CV will be taken under consideration, it goes trough the standard recruitment process (so to speak) in the company, which means the same rules apply as they normally would, like your age for example.
    To sum this up:
    - Bad organization
    - They don't have that many companies working with them as they claim they have
    - To many unanswered questions
    - To many unknowns
    - No different than applying for a job by your self

Overall BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!

Hello.
    Would you please tell me the pattern of aptitude test which you attend at FIT.ie
    I applied for software development program, i m wondering if you could help me with aptitude test pattern. Which four types of aptitude test the will conduct?
    Thank you very much indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ramsz

azeemabbas wrote: »
    Hello.
    Would you please tell me the pattern of aptitude test which you attend at FIT.ie
    I applied for software development program, i m wondering if you could help me with aptitude test pattern. Which four types of aptitude test the will conduct?
    Thank you very much indeed.

Can you help me with aptitude test pattern ? Am going for it few days time please...

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

ramsz wrote: »
    Can you help me with aptitude test pattern ? Am going for it few days time please...

Hey. I have the apptitude tests on Wednesday. How did you find the tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

Can I ask how long is it since you applied. My son applied for this back in August for Network Engineering in Limerick and has heard nothing at all since bar the customary email, we have received your application etc. They are constantly advertising but nothing seems to happen.

• Advertisement

maude6868 wrote: »
    Can I ask how long is it since you applied. My son applied for this back in August for Network Engineering in Limerick and has heard nothing at all since bar the customary email, we have received your application etc. They are constantly advertising but nothing seems to happen.

I applied in July 2017. It has been constantly pushed back. Apptitude tests tomorrow morning so hopefully it won't be long now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 stillatit

I am currently attending one of these courses. For confidentiality reasons I will not say where. I went through the frustrations with FIT mentioned above. They still continue to be really badly organised. I have been hired by a company to do the apprenticeship. I am now in the 6 month full time study phase. It is really not very good. The tutors are very good so far. But the course content is based on very outdated City and Guilds modules so I am not confident about the preparation I am receiving to go into industry early next year. These modules are being foisted on the course by FIT. They are a waste of time.

Hi.
    I've passed the apptitude tests and will be invited to an interview in the new year with FIT.
    Has anyone got any tips for the interview? Any info is much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Advertisement