Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Glen CAmpbell

Options
  • 08-08-2017 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭

Breaking news. The great Glen Campbell has passed away. aged 81. RIP Rhinestone Cowboy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

RIP

Wichita Lineman and his cover of God Only Knows are 2 of my all time favorites.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,238 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jelutong

And a top class session musician in his own right too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

:( never got around to seeing him. Great singer though though the ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Oh Dear!

The memories come flooding back. Fancied a local girl, and used to hum "Galveston" to myself, imagining that it was written for her, and that I was confederate soldier looking remarkably like Glen Campbell, and she was waiting there for me....

.....but she wasn't.

Just getting lost into his Highwaymen gigs with the boyos on youtube (FarmAid with Waylon, Jonny and Willie, jeez, those guys were crazy)... And the Boston Pops and (Idaho?) philharmonic concerts... Wow. What a career. He stood with the best.
    Funny (How time slips by). And the stuff with Reggie Young. Wow.
    He lived.
    RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

This is my first time on the Country Music Forum as I am not a big fan of country music. However, there are some artists who transcended that genre and reached out to many other people. Glen Campbell was one of those exceptions. (Johnny Cash would be another.)

I am sad at the passing of Glen Campbell. I was aware of quite a bit of his stuff over the years on the airwaves - Wichita Linesman, By the Time I get To Phoenix, Galviston, Gentle on My Mind, Southern Nights, but the song that really epitomized the man for me was Rhinestone Cowboy. It's the first song I tend to think of and it fits in with his background.

I don't know if anyone saw that documentary on BBC4 - appropriately called Rhinestone Cowboy! It's been on a few times before but was repeated last night in light of of his death. At the time it was being made, he had just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease, but he was determined to fight it and continued to perform and made another album. This was a testament to the man. The documentary listed all the session work he did during the '60s - he was a much in demand and extremely talented guitarist. Check out the sessions that Glen Campbell played on - it's quite extraordinary. He ended up touring with The Beach Boys, replacing an unwell Brian Wilson.

Tom Dunne devoted his Newstalk show (or at least what I heard of it) to Glen Campbell on the day after he died, playing stuff that Glen played on as well as his solo stuff - for example, Strangers in the Night by Frank Sinatra. Tom Dunne's admiration for Glen says a lot about his influence way beyond his Arizona country music background. Don't forget that Tom was the singer in Dublin rock band Something Happens.

R.I.P. to a talented musician, singer, song arranger and iconic musical figure. R,I.P. to the Rhinstone Cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I heard some of Tom Dunne's program last night on Newstalk. It was dedicated again to Glen Campbell. When I tuned in, he was coming towards the end of By the Time I Get to Phoenix. This turned out to be one of a number of Jimmy Webb compositions performed by Glen that Tom played. He then played the following Jimmy Webb / Glen Campbell collaborations: Where's the Playground Susie (new one on me), Wichita Lineman, Galviston and McArthur Park. The latter had been covered by and been a hit for both Richard Harris and Donna Summer. As Tom said himself, this was a less well-known version.

Tom then proceeded to talk about all those sessions that Glen played guitar on (with The Wrecking Crew). Tom played a few examples including Monday Monday by The Mamas and Papas and I'm a Believer by The Monkees. But it was the next one he played that stomped him when he discovered it (and me too!) - Mr. Tambourine Man by The Byrds. I'm sure all assumed that Roger McGuinn, the group lead guitarist and the singer on this occasion, would have played those riffs. Apparently not - step up Glen Campbell!

I think we are tipping the surface with this most underrated musician. In fact we are, as Tom Dunne said that it appears that Glen Campbell had involvement in 100s of recordings in the '60s.

Advertisement