Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fraudulent purchase through PayPal. Options?

Options
  • 28-08-2019 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I purchased a gaming key from an online site (that I should have look at reviews first but didn’t) and the key I received had been already redeemed.
    I contacted the seller through the site and gave them the details, they asked me for proof which I supplied and then I was ignored.
    I opened a support ticket with the site for a refund and they want me to report it to my local authorities and send them proof before they take action.

I paid through PayPal, and when I attempted to open a dispute PayPal said to go through the sites own resolution process.

This key was just under €20, would the Gardaí take such a report seriously?
    It’s hardly worth my time to follow this up for such an amount, but I wouldn’t want anyone else caught by this site/seller.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gardai would consider this a consumer issue. It isn't even something of yours to report as stolen; they've sold you nothing basically. Push it with Paypal saying the sites resolution process doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AppleD

I am surprised at Paypal tbh, I bought a counterfeit iPhone through ebay earlier this year. By the time I discovered it was a fake, it was outside of ebays 60 day returns policy. The seller had also blocked me from contacting him.
    Paypal got involved and got me a full refund. I would get back on to them again and say that u are having no luck in resolving the issue with the seller.

From Paypals site:

If buyers have a problem with a transaction, they can bring it to the seller’s attention by opening a dispute in our Resolution Center. The dispute process is an opportunity to resolve issues before they become escalated to a claim. It’s in a seller’s best interest to work with the customer to resolve the dispute. This is a seller’s chance to use great customer service to solve an issue and help prevent it from growing into something larger.

Why do disputes occur?

Significantly Not As Described (SNAD). In this type of claim, the buyer is stating the item they received is significantly different than they expected, based on the seller’s description. For instance, maybe the buyer ordered a red sweater but received a blue one instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Just tell PayPal you already tried to resolve with the seller with no success. There usually is a time limit where PayPal allows the seller to make things right before acting on the buyer instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Paypal will sort it for you once you show you've tried to resolve with the seller.

they will then contact the seller and make a decision

• Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

TBH I'd let it go as you won't get any peace of mind if you pursue it,if it was e50 + certainly I'd chase it,but if take it as a lesson learned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

TBH I'd let it go as you won't get any peace of mind if you pursue it,if it was e50 + certainly I'd chase it,but if take it as a lesson learned

A couple of emails to Paypal isn't really much hassle, and there is a good chance of getting the money back. It would be different if the OP hadn't paid via Paypal though

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

Thanks guys,
    I will get back in contact with PayPal and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Open dispute with buyer, wait 24 hours and then escalate it to a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Paypal will refuse to refund any virtual items such as game keys. I know this from personal experience. They will just close the case.

"Buyer Protection only applies to PayPal payments for certain tangible, physical goods that can be posted. We are unable to grant you a refund because your payment was for one of the following items:

Intangible items, including Digital Goods
    Services
    Real estate, including residential property
    Businesses
    Vehicles, including motor vehicles, motorcycles, caravans, aircraft and boats
    Custom made items
    Travel tickets, including airline flight tickets
    Items prohibited by the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy
    Items which you collect in person, or arrange to be collected on your behalf
    Items that violate eBay?s Prohibited or Restricted Items Policy
    Industrial machinery used in manufacturing
    Items equivalent to cash, including prepaid or gift cards
    PayPal Direct Payments
    Virtual Terminal Payments
    Personal Payments"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

killanena is correct here. They class the item as a digitally delivered good. The most they will do is notify the seller but the case would just be closed. If possible, you should try a chargeback through your bank as the transaction was fraudulent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

killanena is correct here. They class the item as a digitally delivered good. The most they will do is notify the seller but the case would just be closed. If possible, you should try a chargeback through your bank as the transaction was fraudulent.

Anecdotally, chargebacks for something that went through Paypal will result in Paypal blacklisting you.

No idea if this is true, but it's been said here quite often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I'd imagine its true as when your buying something with PayPal using your linked debit / credit card it Transfers to your PayPal balance and then to the retailer so a charge back would result in PayPal loosing the money you paid into your balance and the money they sent from your balance to the retailer.

MOH wrote:
    Anecdotally, chargebacks for something that went through Paypal will result in Paypal blacklisting you.

Didn't happen to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Didn't happen to me

Was it just the once? If so, they possibly only block people that have multiple chargebacks open against them.

Was it just the once? If so, they possibly only block people that have multiple chargebacks open against them.

Twice in years,once over a Mobile phone ,other over a car part or something motoring

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

killanena wrote: »
    I'd imagine its true as when your buying something with PayPal using your linked debit / credit card it Transfers to your PayPal balance and then to the retailer so a charge back would result in PayPal loosing the money you paid into your balance and the money they sent from your balance to the retailer.

That's PayPal's fault though for not following consumer law. The law allows for a charge back when a service isn't provided and PayPal are essentially trying to override consumer law by not issuing refunds for non tangible items. So if they get charge backs it's their own fault for not following the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

Just thought I’d update this, I disputed this transaction with PayPal and escalated it as soon as I could, and have received a refund from them of the full amount.
    I have used PayPal for 12 years and that is the first time I had to go through their dispute procedure.
    That’s a bit of a lesson learned.
    Thanks for all your helpful advice.

Just thought I’d update this, I disputed this transaction with PayPal and escalated it as soon as I could, and have received a refund from them of the full amount. I have used PayPal for 12 years and that is the first time I had to go through their dispute procedure. That’s a bit of a lesson learned. Thanks for all your helpful advice.

As long as you're sorted, personally I can't fault PayPal s customer care etc, annoying going through the hoops etc but it is what it is

Advertisement