Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zirconia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Nobody I know is stupid enough to be doing these, why on earth would you want one. The only reason I can think of is very rare titanium allergy. Give Zirconia is below it on the periodic table I would not risk a zirconia implant either.

Is it really a dentist that does zirconia abutments your after?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Nobody I know is stupid enough to be doing these, why on earth would you want one. The only reason I can think of is very rare titanium allergy. Give Zirconia is below it on the periodic table I would not risk a zirconia implant either.

Is it really a dentist that does zirconia abutments your after?

I have an auto-immune condition and while I haven't been tested specifically for titanium allergy the reports of the issues it can cause is enough to deter me from it. I can't afford to have a substance anchored in my jaw causing me more issues than I already have, why do you say that people would be stupid for fitting these?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Seanachai wrote: »
    I have an auto-immune condition and while I haven't been tested specifically for titanium allergy the reports of the issues it can cause is enough to deter me from it. I can't afford to have a substance anchored in my jaw causing me more issues than I already have, why do you say that people would be stupid for fitting these?.

So why would you be happy with any implant anchored in your jaw? Have you anything to say that zirconium would be better?

So why would you be happy with any implant anchored in your jaw? Have you anything to say that zirconium would be better?

I've read some articles on Zirconia and it seems to be a better option over titanium. I'd rather not have any implants but I have a missing molar which shouldn't have been removed and the tooth above it is growing into the gap below. I also just found out that the roots of the tooth above the gap are protruding into my sinus now which is causing pain. I might need two implants if I need to have the top tooth removed also, I'm seeing a maxo consultant to find out what my options are.

www.ceraroot.com/patients/zirconia-vs-titanium/

why do you say that people would be stupid for fitting these?.

Because Zirconia implant have a huge number of mechanical failures due to the brittleness of the material. They are a one piece design with is a terrible idea. The failure and complication rates are so high that its bordering on insanity to place them. Maybe they will improve in the future but at the moment they are suboptimal. Any information from the company that makes tham would be taken with a grain of salt. That page you linked to is comically inaccurate.

It is unlikely that an implant titanium or Zirconia would integrate to the bone if the person is having a autoimmune reaction to them. Dental titanium allergy tends to be from crowns rather than implant.

• Advertisement

Because Zirconia implant have a huge number of mechanical failures due to the brittleness of the material. They are a one piece design with is a terrible idea. The failure and complication rates are so high that its bordering on insanity to place them. Maybe they will improve in the future but at the moment they are suboptimal. Any information from the company that makes tham would be taken with a grain of salt. That page you linked to is comically inaccurate.

It is unlikely that an implant titanium or Zirconia would integrate to the bone if the person is having a autoimmune reaction to them. Dental titanium allergy tends to be from crowns rather than implant.

My dentist was trying to have me get the titanium implant, I thought I saw an alternative somewhere of having implants fixed to the other teeth instead?.

Thats called a bridge. You dont have to treatment plan yourself. Tell you dentist you don't want an implant and ask for the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bradbury

I have been quoted in excess of €4k for an extraction, minor bone graft, Nobel Biocare zirconia dental implant and crown (pre-molar tooth). There's quite a lot of conflicting information online on zirconia implants, however at a recent Dublin-based consultation, when I queried the implantologist, he noted that his success rate for zirconia implants is on par with that of titanium implants. In all I need three implants, with the pre-molar being the most urgent one. The total cost is so high that I have started to search for credible, lower cost options abroad, but am struggling to find any. Has anybody had one or more zirconia implants abroad, and if so where, for how much - and how did you fare?

Bradbury wrote: »
    I have been quoted in excess of €4k for an extraction, minor bone graft, Nobel Biocare zirconia dental implant and crown (pre-molar tooth). There's quite a lot of conflicting information online on zirconia implants, however at a recent Dublin-based consultation, when I queried the implantologist, he noted that his success rate for zirconia implants is on par with that of titanium implants. In all I need three implants, with the pre-molar being the most urgent one. The total cost is so high that I have started to search for credible, lower cost options abroad, but am struggling to find any. Has anybody had one or more zirconia implants abroad, and if so where, for how much - and how did you fare?

I didn't go with an implant after, I'm waiting for the stem cell technology to progress so I can just grow a new one.

I didn't go with an implant after, I'm waiting for the stem cell technology to progress so I can just grow a new one.

Really??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Bradbury

I fear that this may not happen in our lifetime Seanchai, unless of course you are a lab mouse - or Dr. Who.

I am neither, and so am hoping for some input that's a little more of the moment...

I haven't dismissed the idea of getting the work done in Dublin (even if it means stretching out the treatment timeline due to cost). I'd just like to be confident that I am making the right decision, so am interested in hearing from anyone who has had a zirconia implant.

Really??

I'd say the tech will have developed in about 4-5 years and probably be common practice in some countries. Along with all kinds of other stem cell treatments.

I'd say the tech will have developed in about 4-5 years and probably be common practice in some countries. Along with all kinds of other stem cell treatments.

It really won’t. In 4-5 years whatever bone is there now to hold your implant/lab made tooth, will no longer be there.

Not a chance.....

Not a chance.....

I would go as far as to say that stem cell developed teeth will not be available in my lifetime, and I plan to be around for a few more decades.

Dav010 wrote: »
    I would go as far as to say that stem cell developed teeth will not be available in my lifetime, and I plan to be around for a few more decades.

I'd say that developing the tooth in vitro will be possible but taking that to the patient is the big problem...

Do you grow the tooth in the lab and then transplant it into the patient. What will be the success of this transplant. You won't get a blood and nerve supply (so will they need to be root canal treated?), will there be a periodontal ligament attachment or will the tooth just ankylose??

Or do you, place the growing tooth germ in the patient's bone? What if it grows upside down??

The many hurdles and difficulties of this are lost on most patients and I would rather a titanium dental implant until stem cell teeth are tried and tested....

I wouldn't expect to see it in the mainstream for decades if even....

I actually know a professor with a team of postgrads working on regrowing teeth. Problem is getting the right tooth (there are a lot of different teeth in your head) to grow in the right position, at the right time, and regrown the bone, ligament and all the other different cells involved. Also it needs to grow at a rate much faster than normal as it takes many years grow a natural tooth.

Problem is if it goes wrong it will grow too fast and out of control (very very bad), or not work at all.

Its a hugely complex problem, and the people working on it tell me that we are likely 15-20 years from human trials. I have about 25 years left in my working carrier, so I am unlikely to see them.

Dont wait get your implant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

I have about 25 years left in my working carrier, so I am unlikely to see them.

Dont wait get your implant.

With Stem cells there could be another 600 years of working career in you

Advertisement